Rays picked up option on Shield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Rays picked up option on Shield

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8578619/james-shields-fernando-rodney-tampa-bay-rays-options-picked-up

Not surprising cuz Rays is more likely either to trade him for bunch of players or keep him

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Rays picked up option on Shield

Knew this one was coming...Rays FO are no dummies. Pick up an option thats reasonable to most MLB teams willing to trade for good prospects...These guys are so loaded with good pitchers they probably wont even miss him...Must be nice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

75% chance he gets trade by opening day. 95 % by the deadline.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He will probably be traded by the time the winter meetings are over...If not sooner.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He will probably be traded by the time the winter meetings are over...If not sooner.

[/QUOTE]

He won't come to Boston, we've got Liriano in our sights. Ha!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

heck no way that boston is going after Liriano!!  A lefty and an often injure proned pitcher!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

TB needs a catcher badly...

We need a starting pitcher badly...

I know it's hard to trade within a division, but not many teams can afford Shields or give up as many good prospects as the Sox can.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know it's hard to trade within a division, but not many teams can afford Shields or give up as many good prospects as the Sox can.

[/QUOTE]

That is why I said it before, if Tampa want Lavarnway, I ll do it in a heartbeat!!  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Tampa Bay wants Lav and another top prospect or two, then Cherington should make a move.

If a deal falls through, then Cherington should talk with the A's who also need a catcher.  The A's might trade Anderson who seems to be healthy now (the Tigers found out the hard way during the ALDS).  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, zippo, you want little game expensive contract costs 2nd rate pitcher Shields. Let's have the specifics on your trade market offer for Shields. - silly clown

[/QUOTE]

Been there - done that: go fetch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The Angels picked up the option on Santana and then traded him to the Royals... right? So Shields easily could be dealt and if the Rays have a clue he will be. Elles in CF would be a great addition to there roster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Angels picked up the option on Santana and then traded him to the Royals... right? So Shields easily could be dealt and if the Rays have a clue he will be. Elles in CF would be a great addition to there roster.

[/QUOTE]

If the Red Sox can get Shields by trading Ellsbury, then I would fully support it. 

Ellsbury, Nava and an above-average prospect for Shields. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

trotter if you want Elles gone would you not take a 200+ inning pitcher, an AL East winner, and a better pitcher than anything we have now? 

Elles for Shields, you would approve or not?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im not saying I want him here. He would cost too much in prospects to be dealt within the division...Liriano...Lol...Please...NO!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Why would the Rays take basically the same contract, money wise, for a CF'er? If they wanted Lavarnway and a lesser prospect with a high ceiling, Id be Ok with it. They cant ask for too much and be realistic about it since its only for one year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why would the Rays take basically the same contract, money wise, for a CF'er? If they wanted Lavarnway and a lesser prospect with a high ceiling, Id be Ok with it. They cant ask for too much and be realistic about it since its only for one year.

They won't take Ellsbury for Shields even with BJ Upton gone. They have Jennings, Joyce, Zobrist, and others to play OF next year. They need a C, SS, &1Bman. We have good prospects at each position, but some here think trading within the division is against the rules or something.

In support of the idea, TB loves comp picks more than we do. If we paid part of Ellsbury's deal and included Lava or maybe Travis Shaw (Gomez or Sands?), maybe they might think about it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

They won't take Ellsbury for Shields even with BJ Upton gone. They have Jennings, Joyce, Zobrist, and others to play OF next year. They need a C, SS, &1Bman. We have good prospects at each position, but some here think trading within the division is against the rules or something.

In support of the idea, TB loves comp picks more than we do. If we paid part of Ellsbury's deal and included Lava or maybe Travis Shaw (Gomez or Sands?), maybe they might think about it.

[/QUOTE]

I think most are against it because it will def cost much more to deal within the division. Im for it if the price is right though. I dont want to give up the farm for one year though...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think most are against it because it will def cost much more to deal within the division. Im for it if the price is right though. I dont want to give up the farm for one year though...

[/QUOTE]

Shields has two team options left, but not sure if 2014 is eliminated if he's traded.  If he is moved,    teams will be lining up for him, but again, the odds they would ever consider trading him to a division rival are less than 1% in my opinion.  The Rays plan on contending next year in the AL east. Why would they ever consider upgrading a rival unless they felt the trade was ridiculously lopsided?  The Jays said they liked the Sox package for Halladay better than what Philly offered, but they weren't trading him within division.  Contending teams just don't trade top of the rotation   pitchers to rivals.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

"If" the Rays do not work out a trade with the Red Sox, then Cherington should work something out with Oakland.

Oakland needs a SS.  They can afford to trade one or two of their starting pitchers.  I think obtaining Anderson from Oakland will cost Boston less than trying to obtain Shields from the Rays.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Shields has two team options left, but not sure if 2014 is eliminated if he's traded.  If he is moved,    teams will be lining up for him, but again, the odds they would ever consider trading him to a division rival are less than 1% in my opinion.  The Rays plan on contending next year in the AL east. Why would they ever consider upgrading a rival unless they felt the trade was ridiculously lopsided?  The Jays said they liked the Sox package for Halladay better than what Philly offered, but they weren't trading him within division.  Contending teams just don't trade top of the rotation   pitchers to rivals.  

[/QUOTE]

Your right , it is 2 options. My point was exactly what you said. It would cost the Sox the farm for Tampa to agree to a trade within the division...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No mention of losing option by trade...

• 13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout), 14:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
    • value of 2012-14 club options may increase package to $38M
    • performance bonuses based on innings pitched, starts, and Cy Young voting may increase package to $44M
    • Tampa Bay exercised $7M option for 2012 10/31/11
    • 2012 salary increased by $0.5M to $7.5M with top 5 finish in 2011 Cy Young vote

No way TB pays him $12M in 2014, but they will trade him by then for sure. My guess is he is traded this winter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

"If" the Rays do not work out a trade with the Red Sox, then Cherington should work something out with Oakland. Oakland needs a SS.  They can afford to trade one or two of their starting pitchers.  I think obtaining Anderson from Oakland will cost Boston less than trying to obtain Shields from the Rays. 

Three years of 24-year-old Brett Anderson should cost more in trade than two more expensive years of 30-year-old James Shields.