Re-acquire Papelbon from Phils?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re-acquire Papelbon from Phils?

Papelbon has been filthier than ever this year. 

WHIP 0.50

OBP against .146

Closer has been a problem for us since he left, either because of ineffectiveness or DL stints.

Philliies are going nowhere.

Offer them Bailey + a mid-tier prospect.  Why not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Re-acquire Papelbon from Phils?

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

WHIP 0.50

OBP against .146

Closer has been a problem for us since he left, either because of ineffectiveness or DL stints.

I NEVER wanted the Sox to get rid of Paps.....but hate to say it...that ship has sailed.  We would have to give them a heck of a lot more than an injured closer and mid-level prospect for one of the best closers in the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

WHIP 0.50

OBP against .146

I think it would be a great move but doubt it would happen.  Pap has been a very healthy and effective closer in most cases throughout his career compared to guys like Bailey and Han.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

WHIP 0.50

OBP against .146

I've love to get Paps back, but that salary is scary.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Lets see: We could give them middlebrooks, salty, hana and farrell. If we could get him back we should. But we still need a shortstop (although last nite was a great nite for drew), thirdbaseman, and three outfielders. The yanks are right with us and truely 70% of their starters are on DL. When those guys get back we will be losers to: Yanks, baltimore, texas, angels, a's and detroit.

Why use Teddy in your moniker if you are a Yankee fan? You fool nobody. Another generic troll.

You are a troll Pike.

He really is pathetic.  One new monicker after the other, and each one 100% identifiable in seconds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I like the idea but realistically do we match up with them. Do our extras fit their needs.

Looking at their roster and minor leagues they have infielders, catching and pitching on the roster or in their top 10 rookies. Seems INF and pitching are in good condition on the surface based upon current numbers of course I do not have a crystal ball to be able to know what Phils know.

So it would seem their need to be OF. They would not want any current OF except Jake.

Would they take Jake and Kalish? or Jake and Hassan or Hassan and Kalish...Brentz, Bradley, Linares, Bermudez.

IMHO we do not give up Jake, Brentz or Bradley in the same package

I won't even justify this foolish statement with an answer.

Lets see: We could give them middlebrooks, salty, hana and farrell. If we could get him back we should. But we still need a shortstop (although last nite was a great nite for drew), thirdbaseman, and three outfielders. The yanks are right with us and truely 70% of their starters are on DL. When those guys get back we will be losers to: Yanks, baltimore, texas, angels, a's and detroit.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You would have to part with a good prospect like JBJ or Brentz for the OF, then maybe another pitching prospect would be my guess.

Something like Brentz and Workman, then maybe another c level prospect in the lower levels.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

WHIP 0.50

OBP against .146

Because at $12.5 for four years I don't want that contract anyway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

WHIP 0.50

OBP against .146

actually its 13M per and 2016 is a vesting option.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

WHIP 0.50

OBP against .146

Thanks. I still don't want it. Grossly overpaid.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

WHIP 0.50

OBP against .146

Thanks. I still don't want it. Grossly overpaid.

yeah, I agree. wouldnt want to give up what it would take to get him. That contract might even look a lot worse in 2015-16

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Just throwing it out there for fun, really.  I know it's extremely unlikely. 

But our closer situation is a little scary.  Neither Hanrahan or Bailey seems capable of being both healthy and effective for very long.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As for the back end of Paps' contract, I can't see where his durability or consistency are question marks.  When was the last time he was on the DL - end of 2006?  He's been putting up his 65-70 innings every year since.  Unlike many closers who keep hitting the DL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

As for the back end of Paps' contract, I can't see where his durability or consistency are question marks.  When was the last time he was on the DL - end of 2006?  He's been putting up his 65-70 innings every year since.  Unlike many closers who keep hitting the DL.

I just wonder what prospects they will have to part with, IF the phills are even interested.

I wont complain if they do it because hes an elite close who stays healthy. I think he will be good for at least a couple more years. maybe get one bad year. I just dont think Id give up what it would take to get him. If its not a steep price, as far as what I THINK it would cost in prospects, then I might be Ok with it. They will have plenty of $$$ to afford it, especially come 2015-16. He just might not be worth it by then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm thinking of it as a salary dump by the Phillies.  That's why they wouldn't be asking for that much back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm thinking of it as a salary dump by the Phillies.  That's why they wouldn't be asking for that much back.

I only said no because of the potential cost I thought/think it might be. if its a salary dump and what we give up is somewhat minimal, then Im cool with it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Amazing what fantasy baseball does for some of us.  But not me.  The problem with Papelbon was and is his price tag.  I would not hesitate to slot Uehara or Tazawa as the closer. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

No on paps, not willing to part w/good prospects, and he blows the big games.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

softlaw, I think you meant to say Papelbon "won't want" to come back to Boston, and I agree.  I disagree he is a stupid redneck, especially in view of his current contract and how he played his cards to get it--to say nothing of his continuing ability to close games effectively.