Red Sox: 2013 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Red Sox: 2013 Draft

The 2013 draft is getting near and there is a lot to consider this year since the Red Sox will only have 6 teams ahead of them in this years draft. Some here want the best available, no matter the position. Some would like a power bat, and some want pitching. Personally, Id like a big bat, but obviously have no issue with top pitching talent. here a good article from Bosox Injection...

http://bosoxinjection.com/2013/05/07/the-red-sox-and-the-upcoming-first-year-player-draft/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Who would you like to see the Sox pick this year, or what position do you think is needed the most?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Red Sox: 2013 Draft

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/tag/2013-mlb-draft/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The top 15 or so candidates for this years draft are:

1. Mark Appel RHP/Stanford
    2. Austin Meadows, OF/Grayson HS
    3. Ryne Stanek RHP/Arkansas
    4. Jeremy Martinez C/Mater Dei HS
    5. Sean Manea LHP/Indiana St
    6. Clinton Hollon RHP/Woodfork County HS
    7. Austin Wilson OF/Stanford
    8. Karsten Whitson RHP/Florida
    9. Clint Frazier OF/ Loganville HS
    10. Kris Bryant 3B/San Diego
    11. Oscar Mercado SS/Gaither HS
    12. Willie Abreu OF/Mater HS
    13. Bobby Wahl RHP/Ole Miss
    14. Colin Moran 3B/NC
    15. Keegan Thompson RHP Cullman HS

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

What do we need the most and whose the most MLB ready player? My guess is Appel is never pitching in the minors and could be a number 4 starter without any minor league time. If I'm the Sox I pray everyone else is scared of by his asking price. If he falls through maybe the son of former MLB pitcher Ed Whitsons son Karsten is the choice he's #8 on your list. Moran is a stud in waiting but the best players in the Sox system at the present time are third basemen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

What do we need the most and whose the most MLB ready player? My guess is Appel is never pitching in the minors and could be a number 4 starter without any minor league time. If I'm the Sox I pray everyone else is scared of by his asking price. If he falls through maybe the son of former MLB pitcher Ed Whitsons son Karsten is the choice he's #8 on your list. Moran is a stud in waiting but the best players in the Sox system at the present time are third basemen.

I missed seeing Mark Appel pitch by less than 24 hours when the University of Oregon swept a three-game series from Stanford in Eugene late last month. The highly ranked Ducks beat Appel and the Cardinal 2-1 in the Friday evening game when Appel surrendered an RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning:

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=11401&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=207446860

I attended the afternoon game the following day (immediately following the Oregon spring football game).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Some of the top names could still be there. Some teams may take a lesser talent and allocate the funds to a later pick. Should be an interesting top 10. Lots of very good players to choose from.

Appel, Manea, Stanek, for pitchers in that order. Bryant and Moran for bats, but the Sox dont have a need at 3b and have a couple possible names to convert from 3b to 1b already in the system.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Some of the top names could still be there. Some teams may take a lesser talent and allocate the funds to a later pick. Should be an interesting top 10. Lots of very good players to choose from.

Appel, Manea, Stanek, for pitchers in that order. Bryant and Moran for bats, but the Sox dont have a need at 3b and have a couple possible names to convert from 3b to 1b already in the system.

I agree. Chances are a team ahead of the Sox will take a player who won't be as costly as another might be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I agree. Chances are a team ahead of the Sox will take a player who won't be as costly as another might be.

if we get Manea drops to us, Im willing to bet we will take him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Best player available, but I am always inclined to take a pitcher.  I'd be hoping that maybe Bryant falls, but less than likely.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Best player available, but I am always inclined to take a pitcher.  I'd be hoping that maybe Bryant falls, but less than likely.

Thats who I wanted. He K's a lot, but has big tim power and HR potential. Doubt he or Moran will be there at #7 though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I missed seeing Mark Appel pitch by less than 24 hours when the University of Oregon swept a three-game series from Stanford in Eugene late last month. The highly ranked Ducks beat Appel and the Cardinal 2-1 in the Friday evening game when Appel surrendered an RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning:

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=11401&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=207446860

I attended the afternoon game the following day (immediately following the Oregon spring football game).

Are you in Oregon?  I'm in Roseburg.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Thats who I wanted. He K's a lot, but has big tim power and HR potential. Doubt he or Moran will be there at #7 though.

Gets a lot of walks, so he might just be swinging hard.  It's up to the scouts to see if his swing is too long or anything.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Gets a lot of walks, so he might just be swinging hard.  It's up to the scouts to see if his swing is too long or anything.

He in fact does Walk a ton(50 times this year) and has cut down on his strike outs as Well. He has unbelievable power(21 Homers through 41 games). Just recently he hit a Homerun at Fowler park in san deigo That Cleared the 80 foot high Light tower in left field. If a team that picks Before th sox thinks he Can stick at third he could go as high as first overall to the stros, If not, He might have a chance of falling to us at 7.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Are you in Oregon?  I'm in Roseburg.

Portlandia.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

He in fact does Walk a ton(50 times this year) and has cut down on his strike outs as Well. He has unbelievable power(21 Homers through 41 games). Just recently he hit a Homerun at Fowler park in san deigo That Cleared the 80 foot high Light tower in left field. If a team that picks Before th sox thinks he Can stick at third he could go as high as first overall to the stros, If not, He might have a chance of falling to us at 7.

Thanks res and Joe...Wasnt aware he had such a good eye too. The only reason I dont think the Sox look at him is because of guys like Cecchini, Bogy, Almanzar and Middy. All can play 3b and probably 1b. I dont care though. This kids bat is unbelieveable and would provide the power we will need in the middle of that lineup in another year or 2. We can always trade one or 2 of the other guys if this kid is here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

14. Colin Moran 3B/NC

South...I'm down here in Fl so I keep tabs on the Fl guys. Whitson had shoulder surg before the season and has been redshirted and prob won't be drafted, and certainly not in the 1st round ( he should have taken 3m  when he was drafted 2 yrs ago) Mercado  has played himself out also after only hitting 280 in hs and making a TON of errors at SS.kid who is climbing fast is Robert Kaminsky, a lhp. Out of NJ hs...looking like a top 10 pick right now

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Just take the best player available regardless of position. If good enough they will always find a position for you to play or use the players ahead of you for trade. In ideal world a pitcher w/ high upside still available, starters are the toughest commodity to find in MLB. Maybe RS get lucky and Appel drops into their laps due to Boras factor 2 yrs in a row? But when you finally get a chance to draft this high up must get a player who will be a cornerstone for franchise for yrs to come. I'm hoping for another stud pitcher. Its all about the pitching!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

14. Colin Moran 3B/NC

South...I'm down here in Fl so I keep tabs on the Fl guys. Whitson had shoulder surg before the season and has been redshirted and prob won't be drafted, and certainly not in the 1st round ( he should have taken 3m  when he was drafted 2 yrs ago) Mercado  has played himself out also after only hitting 280 in hs and making a TON of errors at SS.kid who is climbing fast is Robert Kaminsky, a lhp. Out of NJ hs...looking like a top 10 pick right now

Thanks for the updates Mman. I just noticed this was a list that was put out before the 2013 season. Im going to look for an updated list.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Heres a couple more updated draft lists.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/22/4013450/2013-mlb-draft-top-100-draft-prospects

http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2013/04/2013-mlb-draft-top-50-prospects-2502606.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

14. Colin Moran 3B/NC

Just thinking... if he changed his name from Robert Kaminsky to Robertò Kaminsky, he'd be in the top five. Undecided

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

What's the Forum's consensus on drafting HS vs. College? (higher risk vs more polished)

Im all for drafting then best player possible. I just hope that best player is a power bat (maybe OF) that isn't soo high risk. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

http://www.fenwaynation.com/2013/05/red-sox-aim-for-franchise-pick-in-june.html

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Frazier is probably the best HS talent in the draft IMO. Hes raw and not the greatest defender. He'd be a project for a few years. Needs work on pitch recognition, patience and learning to use the whole field. Much like WMB. If there is a college talent like Bryant, Moran, or Manea on the board at #7, I think they will go in that direction, and I would agree with that choice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Always take the best player available.