Red Sox, A-Rod courtship revisited ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Red Sox, A-Rod courtship revisited ...

... in this ESPN column by Gordon Edes:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10186500/alex-rodriguez-boston-red-sox-if

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Red Sox, A-Rod courtship revisited ...

Didn't bother to read the piece.suffice to say it couldn't have worked out better for the Sox..Count me among a very large group that wanted him and was disappointed when they let him get away.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yes thank you players union!

The Red Sox could never have absorbed A Rod's contract and what he was become. I feel certain the franchise would not yet have a ring. 

Yet we have three and a fantastic decade of memories. 

To be fair it worked out to some extent for all concerned, to my surprise A Rod was a part of a championship team in NYC where he was a good contributor and he has had some nice regular seasons with them as well, helping them to the playoffs. Granted it is not ending well, but... :) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I remember how ARod bowed to Jeter and moved to 3B, even though Jete was and is a horrible defensive SS, but he wouldn't do it for Nomar- not a good fielder at SS either, but better than Jete.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember how ARod bowed to Jeter and moved to 3B, even though Jete was and is a horrible defensive SS, but he wouldn't do it for Nomar- not a good fielder at SS either, but better than Jete.

[/QUOTE]

"horrible defensive SS"

A bit over the top.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

FWIW, the problem was not the original trade.  I think a lot of people, the authoer included, think of the trade as a 2004-2013 thing.  Had history unfolded along similar lines, it is unlikely we'd have re-signed him after 2007 when he opted out.

The problem for the NYY wasn't the first 4 years, it was their meltdown after ARod opted out, followed by Hank's decision to outbid Hal by $100M for his services.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I agree with article. Things in Boston could have been very different than what has transpired in NY. Having 2 of your best friends just may have been something that kept Arod straight. He also may not have gotten caught up in all the other stuff NY brings with being a super star there.

of course we will never know but we do know it would have been different for all concerned in Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"horrible defensive SS"

A bit over the top.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I should have said the worst fielding SS of our time. You are right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon, Nomar would not have been here with A-Rod. He would have been traded for Maglio Ordonez. Remember? A-Rod was going to be traded for Manny.  It's good niether of these trades happened because of the A-Rod future problems and Ordonez got hurt in July I think and missed the rest of the year. The possible trade of Nomar was the main reason he pouted all of 2004 before he got traded.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As DAD would say .........  "SON, just goes to show, that some of the best deals are the ones you don't make"  !!!!! IE: A-ROD, Teixera and many of those overrated, overpaid, has-been "FAT-CAT" PITCHERS !!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

I must admit that I wanted him and was disappointed when we didn't get him.

Be careful what you wish for.

It would have been our nightmare instead of the yanks.

Thank you players union and baseball gods.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to MikeNagy's comment:

I must admit that I wanted him and was disappointed when we didn't get him.

Be careful what you wish for.

It would have been our nightmare instead of the yanks.

Thank you players union and baseball gods.

Morning Mike..Happy Holidays!!.. too bad, i bet Beni would have looked downright spiffy in his A-Rod Sox PJ's Tongue OutWink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

LOL, Happy Holidays to you Jete. Moon's being awfully hard on your namesake.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Funny how when a player has issues or greatness in one place every one thinks the exact same thing would have happened here. Which is pure BS as we should all know.

Corey Dillion in Cincinnati was a near model citizen in a Pats uniform.

John Lackey was supposed to be the solid #2 with a veteran attitude we needed and look what he was the first few seasons.

nothing is what it is in a different environment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Funny how when a player has issues or greatness in one place every one thinks the exact same thing would have happened here. Which is pure BS as we should all know.

Corey Dillion in Cincinnati was a near model citizen in a Pats uniform.

John Lackey was supposed to be the solid #2 with a veteran attitude we needed and look what he was the first few seasons.

nothing is what it is in a different environment.

[/QUOTE]

A lot of ARod's greatness was artificial. I think he would have turned out to be an embarrassment anywhere he went.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] yeah, he goes in on the Captain..typical Sox fan analysis, but truth be told, while some might be a bit of a stretch,  a lot of it is also pretty fair...got respect for Moon...besides he's hardly alone on the subject...it's all good...all falls into the discussion category...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] yeah, he goes in on the Captain..typical Sox fan analysis, but truth be told, while some might be a bit of a stretch,  a lot of it is also pretty fair...got respect for Moon...besides he's hardly alone on the subject...it's all good...all falls into the discussion category...

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he's got the stats to back it up. Smile

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

A lot of ARod's greatness was artificial. I think he would have turned out to be an embarrassment anywhere he went.

I'm not an A-Rod fan and didn't want him here in 2004 but what's artificial about a player with 19-20 years in MLB with 654hrs, close to 2000rbis, over 1900runs, 2075bbs, .384obp, with a lifetime.942ops and 3 MVP award plus a 14 time all-star. My next statement is only a wild guess but here goes:

A-Rod was a great player for many years, probably a good team player but has been guilty of reading his own press clippings for too many years and it's gone to his head.

Now a shadow of his former self he's a rather sad figure.    

Hetch 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mollymax. Show mollymax's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes thank you players union!

The Red Sox could never have absorbed A Rod's contract and what he was become. I feel certain the franchise would not yet have a ring. 

Yet we have three and a fantastic decade of memories. 

To be fair it worked out to some extent for all concerned, to my surprise A Rod was a part of a championship team in NYC where he was a good contributor and he has had some nice regular seasons with them as well, helping them to the playoffs. Granted it is not ending well, but... :) 

[/QUOTE]

MLB teams need to reevalute contracts they offer players and need to really protect themselves against issues like this.  Even though they do in most cases profit from players who juice up and play well as we saw in the 90's and early 2000's.  Players get away with too much BS!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

WEEI's Alex Speier offers his take:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/12/24/best-trades-are-often-ones-never-happen-ten-ye

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not an A-Rod fan and didn't want him here in 2004 but what's artificial about a player with 19-20 years in MLB with 654hrs, close to 2000rbis, over 1900runs, 2075bbs, .384obp, with a lifetime.942ops and 3 MVP award plus a 14 time all-star. My next statement is only a wild guess but here goes:

A-Rod was a great player for many years, probably a good team player but has been guilty of reading his own press clippings for too many years and it's gone to his head.

Hetch 

[/QUOTE]

I was just referring to the Roids. No doubt he had a lot of talent, but what would his clean numbers have been. I don't know about the team player either.  Funny, Seattle and Texas both had much better records the year after he left them.

I can't really pity him with all his lying.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hetch 

[/QUOTE]As DAD would say .......   "SON, when you run out of the JUICE, the gig is up" !!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FWIW, the problem was not the original trade.  I think a lot of people, the authoer included, think of the trade as a 2004-2013 thing.  Had history unfolded along similar lines, it is unlikely we'd have re-signed him after 2007 when he opted out.

The problem for the NYY wasn't the first 4 years, it was their meltdown after ARod opted out, followed by Hank's decision to outbid Hal by $100M for his services.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  ARod, in his prime,  is one of the few players for whom I would have broken the bank.  And if I'm not mistaken, Texas was paying a good chunk of the remaining original contract.

I was not happy when the Yankees got Arod instead of us.  Same thing with Teixeira.  But, it worked out well for the Sox in both cases.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"horrible defensive SS"

A bit over the top.

[/QUOTE]

No, not over the top at all.  Moon speaks the truth.

Jeter is a horrible defensive SS.