Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard

If Bedard can stay healthy....it's a steal.  If he doesn't, we got rid of some b level prospects that would have been rule 5 drafted away anyways.  Low risk/High reward.  With the cost of Ubaldo and others so high.....I'm ok with this trade. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard:
    [QUOTE]Hill, where did you read/hear about Bedard returning to Seattle next season? If Bedard is a pure rental, I don't like this deal as much as I would if he's a possibility for a contract extension. Despite the injury risks, the guy pitches like an ace when healthy (when healthy being a major caveat, of course). Even if Bedard decides to leave, there will be other good free agent starters on the market this off-season. I've always liked Mark Buehrle. I doubt the White Sox will re-sign him, given their plethora of albatross contracts (Alex Rios and Adam Dunn, to name two).
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]
    http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/status/96638240546750464

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox0426. Show redsox0426's posts

Bedard will likely start in place of Andrew Miller on Friday against the Yankees at Fenway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this is a no brainer - we needed a starter and gave up prospects that may or may not pan out...a good trade for a team with probably the best shot at winning it all...now if we could get healthy....Theo imo acted wisely and proportionatly...good stuff

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It depends Geo - If Bedard doesn't pan out will they cut the chord quickly or will they crash and burn with him?  That's my concern here.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxNation4Ever. Show RedSoxNation4Ever's posts

Unless Bedard is going to be asked to relieve, this one makes no sense.  His stuff at best is pedestrian.  harden is healthy now, has electric stuff (recently defeated the Yanks), and probably would have lasted for two months of upper level stuff.  Bedard just off of injured list, got pounded on Friday, and is not any better than what we have. 
      Check it out, I have been supportive of Red Sox and of Theo, and espiecially Tito.  This trade is one that would have been better to not make.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Nevermind, it looks like Robinson went to Seattle. If that's the case, then the Mariners ended up the best here. They surrendered an injury-prone starter who was going to leave in 2 months anyway and a pitcher with a 6+ ERA in AAA for a 24 yearold power-hitting corner outfielder and another young outfielder with a high OPS at AA. The Red Sox still held onto their very best prospects, so it's not a terrible deal. I would have preferred to move someone like Lars Anderson or Michael Bowden instead.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Solid post davidap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Can't figure out how Erik Bedard is an upgrade.    He's had knee issues for a few years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yank06. Show yank06's posts

Red Sox must be pretty desperate to trade for Eric Bedard. Mariners and Yankees must know something the Red Sox don't know about him. I am sure if the Yankees knew that Bedard was worth a trade they would have out bid the Red Sox. LOL!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE] I am sure if the Yankees knew that Bedard was worth a trade they would have out bid the Red Sox. LOL!!
    Posted by yank06[/QUOTE]

True enough.  That's how the Yankees get everyone they want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox must be pretty desperate to trade for Eric Bedard. Mariners and Yankees must know something the Red Sox don't know about him. I am sure if the Yankees knew that Bedard was worth a trade they would have out bid the Red Sox. LOL!!
    Posted by yank06[/QUOTE]

The LOL at the end of the above post really took the content to the next level...wordsmith!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Can't figure out how Erik Bedard is an upgrade.    He's had knee issues for a few years.
    Posted by Diamondtalk[/QUOTE]

I'd have rather have gotten a quality 2/3 type starter than another 4/5 type guy: we seem to have enough of those types. However, if Buch never comes back or comes back but not at form, we might need a healthy Bedard in the mix. Key word: healthy.

If Bedard is healthy, he may become our 3rd starter. Bedard has a career 3.45 ERA and 1.307 WHIP.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

[QUOTE]Bedard will likely start in place of Andrew Miller on Friday against the Yankees at Fenway.
    Posted by redsox0426[/QUOTE
    Maybe they start Bedard Wednesday and push Lester a day to open Friday against the Yankees?
    Lackey, Beckett, Bedard, Wakefield vs Indians
    Lester, Lackey, Beckett vs Yankees

?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard : I'd have rather have gotten a quality 2/3 type starter than another 4/5 type guy: we seem to have enough of those types. However, if Buch never comes back or comes back but not at form, we might need a healthy Bedard in the mix. Key word: healthy. If Bedard is healthy, he may become our 3rd starter. Bedard has a career 3.45 ERA and 1.307 WHIP.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

If Buchholz doesn't return this season, the best way to view this situation is the race for the #3 starting spot.  Miller clearly isn't that guy.  Wake clearly isn't that guy.  So right now, Lackey and Bedard may be duking it out for this role.  I still hope that Buchholz can recover.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard : Hope we give away some of our trash.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

One only has to look at your recent ten posts to know that you are pretending to be a Red Sox fan when you are not. The term for that is "concern troll". Many on the forum are very clever at doing this but you are terrible. Go back to troll school.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard : Fed could turn out to be a great deal for the Mariners.  This was definately a "last second" desperation move by Theo but I hope it works.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I agree that it was a last minute desperation move!  And, it is a rental!  So, that was a lot of talent to give for a rental, unless he proves spectacular!!  Fed is a very good defensive catcher by all reports, and pretty decent with the bat!  Lav is terrific with the bat, and suspect defensively.  So, we also gave a very good outfielder in Chaing!

I hope it works out!  But, overall, I am with Phillies gm, Rubin Amaro who says he will not ever do a rental!  Now, it is smart to have hard and fast rules, it save from a lot of mistakes!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan95. Show BostonFan95's posts

The Red Sox sent catcher Tim Federowicz, pitcher Stephen Fife and pitcher Juan Rodriguez to the Dodgers for outfielder Trayvon Robinson.

Boston then sent Trayvon Robinson and outfielder Chih-Hsien Chiang to Seattle for SP Erik Bedard and P Josh Fields.

via) soxprospects.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan95. Show BostonFan95's posts

Picher Josh Fields

Stats

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

It's not the biggest move, but I'm happy with it. Buchholz health is up in the air, and you really don't know what you're getting each day with Lackey/Miller/Lackey.
    Ideally, Buchholz comes back at the 3rd starter, and whoever of Lackey/Bedard is healthy/productive is the 4th starter.

He might get hurt, he might struggle, but they had to add an arm, and it didn't make sense to give up prime prospects to land a "sure thing" starter that they really don't need if the guys they have are healthy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

If Bedard is healthy, he ought to be our #3 pitcher in the playoffs. If not? The "prospects" we traded would likely have been exposed in the Rule 5 draft this November anyways. Federowicz is the only one I would have protected, and Exposito is roughly comparable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

[QUOTE]Bedard will likely start in place of Andrew Miller on Friday against the Yankees at Fenway.
    Posted by redsox0426[/QUOTE]

I don't know, maybe they'll have him pitch on normal rest Wednesday vs Cleveland, and push back Lester a day to open the Yankee series.  Then that series can be lined up with Lester, Lackey, Beckett.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox must be pretty desperate to trade for Eric Bedard. Mariners and Yankees must know something the Red Sox don't know about him. I am sure if the Yankees knew that Bedard was worth a trade they would have out bid the Red Sox. LOL!!
    Posted by yank06[/QUOTE]

Well apparently the Yankees needed nothing until August, because they did nothing) while every NL contender and some AL contenders acted).  From what I heard on the MLB network, as bad as Bedard seemed on Friday, everything, coming  off the DL worked and he might have "overthrown."  You are not asking him to do much (let's face it we can assume Lackey takes Buchholz's spot in the rotation) other than carry a game for a bit.  Miller and Wake are shakey.  Look for them to let Wake get his 2ooth and then he will be phased out (unless he start's going 7 plus with no issues).  Miller will be the 5th starter and the early long guy in the playoffs.  And the still have the August waiver wire to address.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i am ok with the sox getting bedard. obviously my first choice would have been ubaldo jimenez. But bedard is ok. If he can stay healthy and pitch the way he did earlier in the year then he will be a good numbe 3 starter. And i think that if he does good for the rest of the year the sox will bring him back for another year or 2. The free agent crop this year is pretty weak in terms of top of the rotation starters. However, the free agent class 2 years from now could be one of the best in terms of starting pitchers in awhile. Thats why it would make sense to sign bedard to a contract extension for one more year if bedard would be interested. But if he wants more than that then we will probably have to let him go.