Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard

I saw Tom Werner at the AMC Boston Common Theater about an hour ago, exiting the movie Bridesmaids alone. I went up to him and said, "Good trade." He looked back at me, puzzled, briefly feigning ignorance. I asked, "You're Tom Werner, right?" He looked down, almost in shame, and replied, "Yeah...oh, the trade. Let's hope he [Bedard] is healthy." I smiled politely and walked away at that point because I don't think he wanted to be recognized.

I don't know if Werner offered hope for Bedard's health because he was uncertain about it, genuinely concerned, or just fumbling to find something to say to me in response. He spoke in a hushed monotone.

I just find it funny he was apparently watching Bridesmaids by himself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I am glad the Sox picked up another SP.  Bedard, if healthy, can be a solid #3 pitcher.  Whether he can handle the pressure of pitching in Boston is apparently a different story.

I don't know much about the prospects the Sox gave up, but from what I've read, they did not give up too much, and they were not going to be protected in the Rule 5 draft anyway.

Good move Theo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard:
    [QUOTE]I saw Tom Werner at the AMC Boston Common Theater about an hour ago, exiting the movie Bridesmaids alone. I went up to him and said, "Good trade." He looked back at me, puzzled, briefly feigning ignorance. I asked, "You're Tom Werner, right?" He looked down, almost in shame, and replied, "Yeah...oh, the trade. Let's hope he [Bedard] is healthy." I smiled politely and walked away at that point because I don't think he wanted to be recognized. I don't know if Werner offered hope for Bedard's health because he was uncertain about it, genuinely concerned, or just fumbling to find something to say to me in response. He spoke in a hushed monotone. I just find it funny he was apparently watching Bridesmaids by himself.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

I would hazard a guess that 90% of RSN is concerned about Bedard health, Bucholz's health, Jenk's health,  Lackey's consistency, Crawford's hitting, and the guarantee or our entitlement to winning the Division, ALCS, and WS. What would you say if someone asked you tomorrow if it was a good trade or not? Better carry your crystal ball with you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Stay tuned for the definitive evaulation of the merits of this trade, from Softlaw....................

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]Stay tuned for the definitive evaulation of the merits of this trade, from Softlaw....................
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

I am confused by the many "softlaw" personae.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'm good with this. I didn't want to give up so many of our prospects and/or players to get one person who may or may not turn out to be valuable to the Sox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard : I am confused by the many "softlaw" personae.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Habitual ban offender.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]this is a no brainer - we needed a starter and gave up prospects that may or may not pan out...a good trade for a team with probably the best shot at winning it all...now if we could get healthy....Theo imo acted wisely and proportionatly...good stuff
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I agree with you here, Geo.  Soon you'll be calling yourself "Bootlicker." 

Still, I don't think the Red Sox have the horses in the rotation if they don't get Buchholz back.  I see Bedard as replacing Andrew Miller.  I'm not sure we can count on him to fill in for Buchholz and shut down the best offenses in the postseason if it came down to that.  It's still better than going forward with the status quo. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]I saw Tom Werner at the AMC Boston Common Theater about an hour ago, exiting the movie Bridesmaids alone. I went up to him and said, "Good trade." He looked back at me, puzzled, briefly feigning ignorance. I asked, "You're Tom Werner, right?" He looked down, almost in shame, and replied, "Yeah...oh, the trade. Let's hope he [Bedard] is healthy." I smiled politely and walked away at that point because I don't think he wanted to be recognized. I don't know if Werner offered hope for Bedard's health because he was uncertain about it, genuinely concerned, or just fumbling to find something to say to me in response. He spoke in a hushed monotone. I just find it funny he was apparently watching Bridesmaids by himself.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

He is in the TV business isn't he. He may have been viewing it to see a certain director's work or for another reason. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We do not know how this will turn out but as of this moment I would have done this deal, and the Aviles deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

RS are better off Harden deal fell thru; this guy, although brittle, is good. Harden may have seen better days.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Mariners reportedly will pay some of the incentive bonuses if Erik Bedard reaches them:

http://twitter.com/#!/StoneLarry/status/97775534502715392

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

When Bedard is healthy he is a very, very good pitcher. I sure was happy to see the Birds send him off to the AL West so we would not see him so often.

If we look at his stats when he isn't on the DL the guy has been excellent. His WHIP, SO/9 etc. are all outstanding. This is not a Paul Byrd, this is a very good pitcher that has had a lot of bad luck with his health in Seattle. Nobody has ever written that his problems are related to poor mechanics like do with Harden.

So it may not be much to hope that he will stay healthy from now until the end of the season. If he does the chances are pretty good that the RS have improved their rotation very much and if Buch does come back stroong before the end of the season that Bedard could be pushing Lackey for a spot in a playoff rotation...

This isn't like the RS are in this for the long haul where Bedard's durabilty over the life of a contract would be a nail biter. And the trade doesn't have the opprotunity cost that a Ubaldo Jimenez trade would have.

Solid move, whether it works or not, it was a solid deal and it took creativity to find the Dodgers so the RS could match up with the M's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

yes

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]When Bedard is healthy he is a very, very good pitcher. I sure was happy to see the Birds send him off to the AL West so we would not see him so often. If we look at his stats when he isn't on the DL the guy has been excellent. His WHIP, SO/9 etc. are all outstanding. This is not a Paul Byrd, this is a very good pitcher that has had a lot of bad luck with his health in Seattle. Nobody has ever written that his problems are related to poor mechanics like do with Harden. So it may not be much to hope that he will stay healthy from now until the end of the season. If he does the chances are pretty good that the RS have improved their rotation very much and if Buch does come back stroong before the end of the season that Bedard could be pushing Lackey for a spot in a playoff rotation... This isn't like the RS are in this for the long haul where Bedard's durabilty over the life of a contract would be a nail biter. And the trade doesn't have the opprotunity cost that a Ubaldo Jimenez trade would have. Solid move, whether it works or not, it was a solid deal and it took creativity to find the Dodgers so the RS could match up with the M's.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

With Buch now on the 60-day DL, I don't expect him back.
    I do agree with you on Bedard. I was hoping they could net him.
    I expect a couple of initial rough outings from him fine-tuning his stuff...and the subsequent fan reaction.
    But I like the move, especially if they extend him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I hadn't seen that Buch went on the 60 day DL.

Is that retroactive?  If so, that would be what, mid/late August?  If at all?

They did need to make a roster move for Bedard.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard : With Buch now on the 60-day DL, I don't expect him back. I do agree with you on Bedard. I was hoping they could net him. I expect a couple of initial rough outings from him fine-tuning his stuff...and the subsequent fan reaction. But I like the move, especially if they extend him.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]If Bedard is what we hope he will be I see little hope of the RS extending him. His 46 starts in 2 2/3 seasons in Seattle is enough to scare me off considering what the RS have rolled up in starting pitching payroll.

If he does well with us, a LH pitcher with his career stats is bound to get a multi-year deal in excess of $10M a year I would guess.

i hadn't heard that Buch went on the 60 day DL. Bad news indeed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard : If Bedard is what we hope he will be I see little hope of the RS extending him. His 46 starts in 2 2/3 seasons in Seattle is enough to scare me off considering what the RS have rolled up in starting pitching payroll. If he does well with us, a LH pitcher with his career stats is bound to get a multi-year deal in excess of $10M a year I would guess. i hadn't heard that Buch went on the 60 day DL. Bad news indeed.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Really? You think Bedard will command that much off his physical history?
    I was hoping for maybe a year extension. Otherwise, the team lost it's best over-all catching prospect for 8 weeks of Bedard.

If I were Bedard, I would think a full year with good numbers in Boston would create a steeper market in 2013.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard :   Really? You think Bedard will command that much off his physical history? I was hoping for maybe a year extension. Otherwise, the team lost it's best over-all catching prospect for 8 weeks of Bedard. If I were Bedard, I would think a full year with good numbers in Boston would create a steeper market in 2013.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]You could be right. He has had a few setbacks coming back from the torn labrum but he has looked very good since coming back between those set backs. A good run with Boston would set him for more than a one year deal I think but I could be wrong.

But yeah, the RS just gave up their best over all catching prospect for 8 weeks of Bedard or at least knew it was probable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox acquire Erik Bedard :   Really? You think Bedard will command that much off his physical history? I was hoping for maybe a year extension. Otherwise, the team lost it's best over-all catching prospect for 8 weeks of Bedard. If I were Bedard, I would think a full year with good numbers in Boston would create a steeper market in 2013.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

They were robbing Peter to pay Paul (the present); and IMO they were aware of it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]Unless Bedard is going to be asked to relieve, this one makes no sense.  His stuff at best is pedestrian.  harden is healthy now, has electric stuff (recently defeated the Yanks), and probably would have lasted for two months of upper level stuff.  Bedard just off of injured list, got pounded on Friday, and is not any better than what we have.    Check it out, I have been supportive of Red Sox and of Theo, and especially Tito.  This trade is one that would have been better to not make.
    Posted by RedSoxNation4Ever[/QUOTE]

This is a perfect reason why I don't like to bash ownership for moves they make.  I always say they have more information than the average joe in his living room.  When people questioned the Bedard trade, did they know all the ramifications?  No way!  From today's Globe:

Outfielder Chih-Hsien Chiang, catcher Tim Federowicz, and righthander Stephen Fife are organizational veterans who had to be placed on the 40-man roster by Dec. 1 or risk being lost in the Rule 5 draft.

So, the trade accomplished more than one task and helped the team now without hurting it later.  Theo got value from what could have been lost for nothing.  That's how you do business.