Red Sox Catching Situation - Part Deux

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Red Sox Catching Situation - Part Deux

' .766: Red Sox catchers' OPS, second among all American League clubs after Detroit (.781). "Get Pudge!" ... "Trade the fahm for Mauer." ...  "It would be wicked cool if Dougie Mirabelli came back to catch Wake!" ... Enough already.'

^^^I plucked this from a NESN article on mid-season stats.  Now I have to go back and find my pre-season prediction on how the Salty-Tek tandem would work but IIRC, my Salty stats are pretty darn close to his current.  I for one am pretty darn happy with how it has worked thus far.

Discuss and self-congratulate/flagellate as appropriate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: Red Sox Catching Situation - Part Deux

Thank goodness they have come around.  I was really concerned with our catching situation in the early part of the season, but it seems to be working pretty well now. 

My main concern was not how they would do offensively, but how Salty would perform behind the plate.  He seems to be settling into that role rather nicely.  I have to tip my hat to the guy for how hard he has worked at it and how seriously he took his job.

The pretty good offense that the tandem has been providing is icing on the cake!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

For those willing to go back to the pre-season and revisit their predictions:

I think 450-500 PA's is a decent estimate for the year given the L/R platoon.  So expecting him "to go .250/.315/.385 with 20 2B's and 12 HRs"

So .... AVG OBP SLG 2B's HR

Prediction .250 .315 .385 20 12

On Pace For  .251 .320 .437 22 11

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

It's crazy how much better Salty's defense has gotten since he stopped throwing his leg out on pitches down and away.  Pitchers seem to be having better results since that's stopped too. Coincidence?  CERA?  Who knows.

Either way, I was a supporter of this tandem (used as a platoon).  Glad to see it work out.  I'm very happy I was wrong about Papi vs. lefties.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Catching Situation - Part Deux:
    [QUOTE]For those willing to go back to the pre-season and revisit their predictions: http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat:SportsForum:3fc713da-4715-4925-b94c-c14bddc7d8f4Discussion:4094b8ea-ea3a-41aa-9f48-c3e6207d9814&plckCurrentPage=0 Here's my quote from March 8th: I think 450-500 PA's is a decent estimate for the year given the L/R platoon.  So expecting him "to go .250/.315/.385 with 20 2B's and 12 HRs" So .... AVG OBP SLG 2B's HR Prediction .250 .315 .385 20 12 On Pace For  .251 .320 .437 22 11
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

Always good when a player out performs one of his supporters predictions by over 50 points in OPS.Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Tek and Salty's offensive numbers are are very close, with both hitting a tad over .250, with 11 home runs and 42 RBIs between them, which is respectable from the catching position.

Salty's settling in nicely for a guy we heard earlier was having trouble even throwing the ball back to the pitcher.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Red Sox Catching Situation - Part Deux:
    [QUOTE]' .766:  Red Sox catchers' OPS, second among all American League clubs after Detroit (.781). "Get Pudge!" ... "Trade the fahm for Mauer." ...  "It would be wicked cool if  Dougie Mirabelli  came back to catch Wake!" ... Enough already. ' http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/2011-sox-by-the-numbers.html ^^^I plucked this from a NESN article on mid-season stats.  Now I have to go back and find my pre-season prediction on how the Salty-Tek tandem would work but IIRC, my Salty stats are pretty darn close to his current.  I for one am pretty darn happy with how it has worked thus far. Discuss and self-congratulate/flagellate as appropriate.

I have a bet with a friend of mine regarding Salty and Tek.  Whoever comes closest on the two at the end of the season needs to supply two "top seats" food and beverages to a Yankee/Sox game next season at Fenway. 

Salty
    I predicted would hit 262, with 62 RBI's and 11 long balls. 
    My buddy/Co-worker had salty at 245 with 8 dingers and 50 RBI's

Tek
    I predicted he would hit 235 with 35RBI's and 7 long balls
    My buddy has Tek much lower at 218, 30RBI's and 5 long balls

I'm thrilled at how the mentoring has worked so far and the fact both Tek and Salty have helped our cause offensively.  This could be a huge factor down the stretch if we can get production out of Crawford and RF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

LOL @ JB.  TBH, I'm not sure if I was one of his supporters.  I think I stated I'd rather have VMart/Salty or VMart/Tek over Salty/Tek but for the money (and with our otherwise stacked line up) I thought the Salty/Tek combo would be okay.

Tek has been at least "OK" since his horrid start.  For Salty, so far it has looked good offensively and the defense has improved to be better than expected, IMO.  I'd say I am now fairly bullish on Salty and hope he continues to improve.  Funny stat is his 2 triples ... I doubt anyone would have projected him to have multiple triples for the year.  FWIW, his next XBH will tie his career high for a season (2009 12-2Bs & 9-HRs in 283 ABs ... with 97 Ks, d'oh! ).

Let's hope he can keep throwing that ball backWink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

SoxFan,

Compared to some of the posters on here, I'm counting saying you're OK with it as being a supporter.

And Tek's been better better than "at least 'OK'" since his horrible start (better than I expected when I just went to pull the numbers).  He hasn't posted an OPS below .933 in any month since his .339 mark in April.  Yes, that .339 is actually his OPS and not SLG or OBP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Thank goodness they have come around.  I was really concerned with our catching situation in the early part of the season, but it seems to be working pretty well now.  My main concern was not how they would do offensively, but how Salty would perform behind the plate.  He seems to be settling into that role rather nicely.  I have to tip my hat to the guy for how hard he has worked at it and how seriously he took his job. The pretty good offense that the tandem has been providing is icing on the cake!
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Yes, and only 10 passed balls!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

^^^ Yes, I guess I did slight him Tek by saying "at least OK."  Having OPS > .900 each month since April is great.  OTOH, when you average 40AB per month, you are going to have some outrageous variance in your month to month stats.  But if he performs over the next 40ABs as he has since May 1st, he would have his AVG > .260 and OPS> .800 which is definitely better than OK.  I'll upgrade my assessment at that time ;)

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we continue to see post-April versions of our catchers for the rest of the year.

Strange statistical note: Tek's 2011 stats are all within .006 of his career line.
    AVG OBP SLG OPS
    2011 .252 .338 .435 .773
    Career .258 .342 .436 .778

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I agree that it's a small sample size, don't get me wrong, but he's been remarkably consistent since April ended on a month to month basis.

April:  .339 (41 PA's)
    May:  .933 (50 PA's)
    June:  .937 (43 PA's)
    July:   .946 (16 PA's)

I would expect a lot more variance given the sample sizes.  For all the talk about the Sox winning when Tek plays because of his defense and game calling, has anyone thought to credit his bat for the wins this season?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Here was my prediction: 

I think we should expect about a .750 OPS, .260 AVG, 18 HR

He's got to pick it up in the HR department, but other than that not bad.  

Here's another one from the same thread, in response to Babe telling us how great the Yankee catching prospects were ...

I'll take an unranked Ryan Lavarnway with an .888 OPS at AA over your ranked Austin Romine and his .726 OPS at AA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

i doubt that varitek will do much better than his current stat line throughout the rest of the season, but i think that saltalamacchia is going to continue to improve.

his confidence is much improved. he is doing a much better job of swinging at pitches that are NOT pitcher's pitches.  continue to stay patient, young man.

for a long time he would swing at the first pitch almost no matter where it was or what kind of pitch it was.  he is now doing a better job of staying off that low breaking ball when he is ahead in the count (especially when the count is 0-0).

his next step is to not strike out so much on fastballs.  he really should be looking for the fastball with the 3-2 count and then try to adjust to the breaking ball if he gets one.   he is whiffing on a bunch of two strike fastballs too often. 

i would not even mind if he gets fooled with a breaking ball with a 2-2 or 3-2 count and cannot get his swing started as many of those pitches are not going to be called strikes anyway.  if he gets called out on some of them then you just tip your hat to the pitcher for probably throwing his second/third best pitch for a called strike three strike out.

the catching position now appears to be one of the more solid spots in the line up which is something that few would have thought at the beginning of the year.  i don't see a need to go out and get another catcher for next year either unless varitek retires or one of these guys gets seriously injured.

congrats to both of the sox catchers for turning their position into a strength on the 201 team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

lavarnway...very interesting young prospect!

looks like this guy is going to be a real hitter.  he has hit very well at every level so far.  he is not ready for fenway just yet, but he also should not be traded for any rental player either this year or next.

i have never seen him catch a game, but there is certainly no need yet to either label him "a poor catcher" or to stick the label of "DH" on him.

he has at least one (maybe two) more year to refine his catching skills enough to be considered as a major league catcher in 2013 or 2014.  he may hit enough not to worry too much about his defense if it is not top level.   victor martinez got by without being a top level receiver and made some nice money doing it for both cleveland and then boston for about five seasons.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I thought that when the Sox had Mike Lowell day last year they should have included Varitek and Wakefield, was wrong on both counts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Playing health dictates production in most cases. Especially with backstops. I'm sure both catchers will feel the 2nd half, and their numbers will follow suit.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

My God you're tiresome, whichever name you choose!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"Playing health dictates production in most cases. Especially with backstops. I'm sure both catchers will feel the 2nd half, and their numbers will follow suit."
    Harness - I don't know.  With a 60/40 split I think they are both about as protected/rested as possible.  Not saying there won't be some wear & tear, but I think the current platoon decreases the chances significantly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

BetterSoftThanHillBillyRedneck - You, sir, are as boring as ever.  Let's see if a limerick will help:

There once was a poster named Billy
    From this forum repeatedly tossed
    While he fancied himself quite the expert
    His mind was incredibly Soft

I have mocked you with alliteration, haiku and now a limerick.  Please stop before I have to compose sonnets.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]BetterSoftThanHillBillyRedneck - You, sir, are as boring as ever.  Let's see if a limerick will help: There once was a poster named Billy From this forum repeatedly tossed While he fancied himself quite the expert His mind was incredibly Soft I have mocked you with alliteration, haiku and now a limerick.  Please stop before I have to compose sonnets.

I appreciate the oblique rhyme scheme.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The offense between the two has been fair, but the defense is still suspect. Salty leads the leage with 10 PBs and his 20 CWP's in 55 games is abysmal. But, if you view his play in terms of money, he's a bargain at $750K.
    He is getting better with his accuracy in throwing to 2B. And, although he managed to throw out Adam Jones for his first CS this year, he also allowed his opposing C, Matt Wieters his first SB this year....go figure.

Varitek seems to be seeing the ball better at the plate, and his platooning as BU has taken some of the buden off him defensively which I believe has let him concetrate more on his hittng.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox Catching Situation - Part Deux : I appreciate the oblique rhyme scheme.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Thanks ... I think.  Is that better than a strained oblique?  I realized after the fact I failed at the limerick.  I'll try again:

There once was a poster named Billy
    Whose rants were boring and silly
    His marbles were lost
    From the forum was tossed
    Since he's really a fan of Philly

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Passed balls stat becomes meaningless when you regularly catch a knuckleball pitcher.