Red Sox Draft History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Red Sox Draft History

With the draft coming up, I was looking at the Sox history. I started looking in the 1973 draft. I might go back and look at pre-1973 and post 1986 later If I have time, unless someone else does first. Here are some highlights in those years.

1973: Fred Lynn in the second round, Butch Hobson in the eighth round.

1974: Nothing.

1975: Sox took Ed Jurak in the third round, Dave Stapelton in teh 10th round and Mike Paxton (who was part of the Eckersley trade) in the 23rd round.

In 1976, the Sox drafted Brust Hurst in the first round, Glenn Hoffman in the second round and Wade Boggs  in the seventh. Also: Gary Allenson (9th) adn Reid Nichols 12th). 

The 1977 draft was horrible. Not one player did anything. Well, anything good. Bobby Sprowl was drafted in the second round, and we all know what happened to himi in 1978. Wow, drafted in '77 and in the majors in '78. Talking about rushing the kid. Another reason to rip Zimmer and the Sullivan regime. (Sullivan took over in the fall of 1977).

1978 was just as bad. A bunch of no-names.

1979: Can you say nepotism. Another Horrible draft. Marc Sullivan, Haywood's kid, was the first player drafted by the Sox. He was taken in the second round.

1980: Mike Brown was taken first (2nd round) and I remember Gammons raving about him in the mid-'80s. Pat Dodson (6th round) had an excellent minor league career but couldn't make the Triple-A to Majors jump. Dave Magadan was drafted by the Sox in the 12th round but didn't sign. However, the Sox took two key pitchers on the '86 team. Al Nipper in the eighth round and Oil Can Boyd in the 16th. Tom Bolton was drafted in the 20th round.

1981: Steve Lyons in the first round, Todd Benzinger in the fourth; nothing else.

1982: The legendary Sam Horn was drafted in the first round. Jeff Ledbetter was taken later in the first round. For those who never heard of him, Ledbetter set the college home run record while at FSU (It has since been broken). Showed some pop in the minors but never made it past Double-A. Career .246 hitter in the minors. I used to call guys like him who were great power hitters in college but flopped in the pros as having Jeff Ledbetter Disease. The draft wasn't a bust. Mike Greenwell was drafted in the third round.

1983: The Sox hit the jackpot with Roger Clemens in the first round. Nothing after that, although the Sox did take DeMarlo Hale (future coach) in the 17th.

1984: Only Jody Reed panned out for the Sox. The draft could have been better. The Sox drafted Jack McDowell in the 20th round but didn't sign him.

1985: The Sox took Brady Anderson in the 10th round, but here's an interesting tidbit. The Sox drafted Tino Martinez i the third round but didn't sign him. He ended up going to college nd was drafted by Seattle three years later.

1986. Only Scott Cooper.

That's enough for now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: Red Sox Draft History

1999 was a memorable but not necessarily good draft for the Sox.  They had a 1st rounder and 2 supplemental 1st rd picks and decided to go heavy on locals.  1st 2 picks were Rick Asadoorian (17th) from Northbridge High and then Brad Baker (40th) from Pioneer Valley Regional.  Needless to say, neither of these were very good picks.  They did a little better at 48, tabbing Casey Fossum.

Other notables that yr were Josh Hamilton and Beckett at 1 and 2 overall and future Red Sox Kyle Snyder 7th, Carl Crawford 52nd, John Lackey 68th,  & Coco Crisp 222nd

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll continue after 1986...

1987:
    1) Reggie Harris
    2) Bob Zupcic
    11) Phil Plantier

1988:
    5) John Valentin
    8) Tim Naehring
    25) John Flaherty

1989:
    1) Greg Blosser
    1) Mo Vaughn
    1) Kevin Morton
    3) Eric Wedge
    4) Jeff Bagwell
    6) Paul Quantrill

1990:
    2) Frank Rodriguez

1991:
    1) Aaron Sele
    1) Scott Hatteberg
    18) Ron Mahay

1992:
    36) Lou Merloni

1993 (End of Lou Gorman era)
    1) Trot Nixon
    2) Jeff Supan
    6) Peter Munro
    10) Lou Merloni

1994 (Beginning of Dan Duquette era):
    1) Nomar
    3) Brian Rose
    11) Donnie Sadler
    13) Carl Pavano
    18) Michael Coleman

1995:
    1) Andy Yount

1996:
    1) Josh Garrett
    1s) Reitsma
    3) Dernell Stenson
    8) Duchscherer
    10) Hillenbrand

1997:
    1) John Curtice
    1s) Mark Fischer (Comp for losing Clemens)
    19) Eckstein

1998:
    1) Adam Everett
    3) Mike Maroth
    5) Josh Hancock
    9) Teixeira (not signed)
    10) Lenny DiNardo

1999:
    1s) Rick Asadoorian & Brad Baker (Comp for losing Mo Vaughn)
    1s) Casey Fossum (Comp for losing G. Swindell)

2000:
    1) Phil Dumatrait
    2) Delcarmen
    11) Freddie Sanchez
    29) Gabbard
    35) Dusty brown

2001 (end of DD ere):
    2) Shoppach
    8) Youkilis

2002 (Mike Port):
    2) Jon Lester
    8) Brandon Moss
    37) Ricky Romero (not signed)

2003 (Start of Theo era):
    1) David Murphy
    1s) Matt Murton(comp for Cliff Floyd)
    2) Abe Alvarez
    4) Papelbon

2004:
    2) Pedroia
    6) Cla Meredith

2005:
    1) Ellsbury (comp for Cabrera)
    1s) Craig Hansen (comp for Lowe)
    1s) Clay Buchholtz (comp for Pedro)
    1s) Jed Lowrie (comp for Cabrera)
    1s) Michael Bowden (comp for Lowe)
    9) Mark Wagner
    31) Luis Exposito

(Side note: and people are still upset we let the guy who hit on other player's wives go to free agency. We got Ells and Lowrie for Orlando C)

2006:
    1) Jason Place
    1s) Daniel Bard (comp for Damon)
    1s) Kris Johnosn (comp for Damon)
    1s) Caleb Clay (comp for Mueller)
    2) Masterson
    3) Aaron Bates (comp for Mueller)
    5) Dustin Richardson
    9) Ryan kalish
    17) Reddick
    18) Lars Anderson

2007:
    1s) Nick Hagadone (comp for Alex Gonzo)
    1s) Ryan Dent (comp for Foulke)
    5) Middlebrooks

2008:
    1) Casey Kelly
    1s) Bryan Price (comp for Gagne)

2009-2010:
    http://www.soxprospects.com/dh1009.htm

2011 slots:
    http://www.soxprospects.com/dh1009.htm

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

"1) Ellsbury (comp for Cabrera)
    1s) Craig Hansen (comp for Lowe)
    1s) Clay Buchholtz (comp for Pedro)
    1s) Jed Lowrie (comp for Cabrera)
    1s) Michael Bowden (comp for Lowe)
    9) Mark Wagner
    31) Luis Exposito"

Holy crap that is one stacked draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dan Duquttes drafts were not great, but he did find some gems:

Nomar, Donnie Sadler, Carl Pavano, Michael Coleman, Hillenbrand, Eckstein, Adam Everett, Teixeira (not signed), Lenny DiNardo, Casey Fossum, Delcarmen, Freddie Sanchez, Shoppach, Youkilis.

Pavano was used by DD to get Pedro.

Duquette kids used by Theo to get other players:

HanRam, Anibel Sanchez to get Beckett & Lowell.
    Nomar was used to get Orlando Cabrera.
    (Losing Cabrera to free agency brought us Ellsbury and Lowrie)
    Everett was used to get Carl Everett
    Hillenbrand was used to get B. Kim
    Shoppach was part of the Crisp deal.
    Sadler & Coleman were used to get Chris Stynes.
    Sanchez was used to get Suppan & Lyons
    Lyons and Fossum (DD draftee) were used to get Schilling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Great info moon. thanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

We got Ells and Lowrie for Orlando C)

Great. Punch & Judy for a revolving door.

Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Theo's regime blows the other draft years away, possibly from overslot signings but one could contend Henry's willingness to sign players is the biggest reason for that. I think one could state that the player development staff has been excellent also ( for example, taking a little known shortstop like Buchholz and making him one of the top pitchers in the game ). They have not blown a lot of picks. Even factoring for the money spent Theo's drafts have been excellent.

The closest draft to 2005 is probably last year's draft IMO. There is a tremendous talent pool which should emerge with a number of winners also. I think the guy they have in charge of the draft now is excellent. We will get a number of players from last year's draft emerge to become major contributors IMO:

Vitek          He's certainly hitting but where does he play in the field?
    Brentz   *** Putting up MVP level numbers at 2 minor league levels now.
    Coyle   ***  This guy is very intriqueing from his early numbers in Greenville
    Ranaudo  *** The stuff is there and he's working hard on development of more
    Hernandez *** So far he's been better than Ranaudo at a higher level.
    Cecchini  *** Hasn't started playing beyond XST but the guy has a great rep.
    Workman    Starting to be the guy his name implies.
    Ramos *** Has already gotten to Greenville with very little baseball experience
    Perkins      A raw studly talent like Brandon Jacobs. A lot to like.

The ones with stars are the ones I'm following the most.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The 76 and 89 drafts were decent for sure. Sometimes even if 1 or 2 players hit big it's worth it. Overall, until the Theo/Henry era we'd have to say that our drafting has been sub par historically. To me, the best is yet to be in terms of Redsox drafts. Last year's was probably great and this year's should be solid also.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Kendrick Perkins last year in Gulf Coast League action: 7 strikeouts in 7 AB. Wow! They did say he was very raw though!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We have 2 kids who just turned 19 who are already doing well in Greenville. Coyle and Ramos.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Pre-1973 history:

1965: Billy Conigliaro in the first round. Amos Otis in the fifth round. Lost him to the Mets in the 1966 minor league draft.

1966: Ken Brett in the first round. Mike Nagy in teh sixth round.

1967: Mike Garman in the first round. Nothing else.

1968: Nice draft this year. Lynn McGlothen (3rd), Cecil Cooper (6th), Ben Oglivie (11th) and Bill Lee (22nd).

1969: Another good draft. Rick Miller (2nd), Jim Wright (4th), Dwight Evans as a 3B (5th).

1970: Nothing really except for Tim Blackwell in the 13th round. He got playing time in '74 and '75 when Fisk was injured in 1974 when Leron Lee slid into him.

1971: This year shows how one player can make a draft. Jim Rice was taken first round. Nothing else really. Mark Bomback was taken in the 25th round. He went 16-18 in the pros.

1972: Tis was a nice draft for other teams. The Sox took Don Aase in the sixth round and Ernie Whitt in the 16th round. Aase had a decent year in 1977 then was traded for Jerry Remy. He had some nice years in the bullpen with the Angels, including a 34-save season. Of course, Remy was excellnt for Boston. Whitt was taken by the Blue Jays in the expansion draft and started for a few years. The Sox also took Steve Dillard in the second round. He was a decent utility player.

In my first post about 1973, I forgot to mention Ted Cox who was taken in the first round. He never did much in the pros, but he was part of the Eckersley trade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Great stuff and perfect for memorial day Roy!

Can't wait for this year's draft June 6th. The talent pool should extend well down into our top 4 picks this year. I'm projecting a college pitcher #1 but who the heck knows.

We've started several draft threads this year already but neither of them lasted very long. I'm giving it a few more days but plan on being all over it then.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The 76 and 89 drafts were decent for sure. Sometimes even if 1 or 2 players hit big it's worth it. Overall, until the Theo/Henry era we'd have to say that our drafting has been sub par historically. To me, the best is yet to be in terms of Redsox drafts. Last year's was probably great and this year's should be solid also.

I have to say the '94 draft may have had the biggest impact overall...

1994 (Beginning of Dan Duquette era):

1) Nomar: Some great years, then brought us Cabrera and a ring. Losing Cabrera brought us Ellsbury and Lowrie. That's a lot of players and years from one draft slot.

3) Brian Rose: Was part of the deal to Colorado for Mike Lansing and Rolando Arroyo. 

11) Donnie Sadler: Was used with Michael Coleman to get Chris Stynes.

13) Carl Pavano: Was a major part of the Pedro Martinez deal.

18) Michael Coleman: See Sadler deal.

In short:
    Pedro Martinez (for Pavano)
    Nomar />Cabrera>Ellsbury/Lowrie
    1 year of Chris Stynes
    Arroyo & Lansing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Draft History:
    [QUOTE]Pre-1973 history: 1965: Billy Conigliaro in the first round. Amos Otis in the fifth round. Lost him to the Mets in the 1966 minor league draft. 1966: Ken Brett in the first round. Mike Nagy in teh sixth round. 1967: Mike Garman in the first round. Nothing else. 1968: Nice draft this year. Lynn McGlothen (3rd), Cecil Cooper (6th), Ben Oglivie (11th) and Bill Lee (22nd). 1969: Another good draft. Rick Miller (2nd), Jim Wright (4th), Dwight Evans as a 3B (5th). 1970: Nothing really except for Tim Blackwell in the 13th round. He got playing time in '74 and '75 when Fisk was injured in 1974 when Leron Lee slid into him. 1971: This year shows how one player can make a draft. Jim Rice was taken first round. Nothing else really. Mark Bomback was taken in the 25th round. He went 16-18 in the pros. 1972: Tis was a nice draft for other teams. The Sox took Don Aase in the sixth round and Ernie Whitt in the 16th round. Aase had a decent year in 1977 then was traded for Jerry Remy. He had some nice years in the bullpen with the Angels, including a 34-save season. Of course, Remy was excellnt for Boston. Whitt was taken by the Blue Jays in the expansion draft and started for a few years. The Sox also took Steve Dillard in the second round. He was a decent utility player. In my first post about 1973, I forgot to mention Ted Cox who was taken in the first round. He never did much in the pros, but he was part of the Eckersley trade.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Smiley and Kimsaysthis are still grousing about this one. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I had forgotten we drafted Amos Otis. Excellent thread. Highly informative.