Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

Here's a paragraph and a link to read the rest of the article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/jonny-gomes-injures-fan-punting-beer-cans-stands-070333037--mlb.html

Here's one eyewitness courtesy of The Inquisitr via Sports Grid:

According to a comment posted at the SportsGrid website, “My wife and I literally had to duck so as not to get hit by this same beer can punted by Gomes. We turned around to see who it hit and saw this gentleman disoriented and bleeding profusely.” Another purported eyewitness stated that “He was bleeding profusely and luckily Fenway First Aid was quick to respond.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Red Sox fan injured by beer can punted by Gomes

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Here's a paragraph and a link to read the rest of the article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/jonny-gomes-injures-fan-punting-beer-cans-stands-070333037--mlb.html

Here's one eyewitness courtesy of The Inquisitr via Sports Grid:

According to a comment posted at the SportsGrid website, “My wife and I literally had to duck so as not to get hit by this same beer can punted by Gomes. We turned around to see who it hit and saw this gentleman disoriented and bleeding profusely.” Another purported eyewitness stated that “He was bleeding profusely and luckily Fenway First Aid was quick to respond.”

ouch!!!..unfortunate accident, probably not the wisest thing to do but still an accident, hope the Sox can get ahead of this one and not have this blow up....hope that fan is ok...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I thought it was an incredibly stupid and irresponsible thing to do and why the media keeps replaying it as a great moment is beyond me.........I hope that never happens again....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Keep the beer can.  Ask the RS for front row seats for the playoffs.  Have Gomes sign the beer can and auction it off on E-Bay.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Keep the beer can.  Ask the RS for front row seats for the playoffs.  Have Gomes sign the beer can and auction it off on E-Bay.

Much ado about little.  Not a brilliant move by Gomes, but hardly a major incident.  If the person has a little flesh wound the above would be more than enough compensation.  If the person lost an eye he should take Gomes and the Sox to the cleaners.

"Please, won't somebody think about the beer can kicking tsunami sweeping the nation!?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It was an idiotic move and whoever was damaged needs to be made-whole by the party at fault. 

Unfortunately, everyone on the field from now on is going to have to deal with an education and training now about safe behavior on the field now because there is a chance that one of them may act like a butthead........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If I went to a Sox game and had this gash over my eye because of stupidity,I'd be {expletive} off.Especially coming from a player I was cheering for.He needs to be more responsible regarding his actions and I imagine that someone has or will speak to him about it.It wasn't the smartest thing for Gomes to do,and hopefully he get a little less carried away after they win the ALDS..

"Another day closer to the parade"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If I went to a Sox game and had this gash over my eye because of stupidity,I'd be {expletive} off.Especially coming from a player I was cheering for.He needs to be more responsible regarding his actions and I imagine that someone has or will speak to him about it.It wasn't the smartest thing for Gomes to do,and hopefully he get a little less carried away after they win the ALDS..

The only people talking to Gomes would be my lawyers

The only thing I am surprised by is that the injury wasn't worse

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

I like Jonny Gomes and what he has brought to the Boston Red Sox, but he excercised very poor judgment in this case.  Clearly he had no intent to harm anyone, but he should have thought twice before kicking busted up aluminum cans into a crowd of fans.  My guess is he wouldn't find it amusing if his family were at a sporting event and one of his children were struck in this manner.  It's unfortunate that anyone was injured at all, but it just as easily could have been a 7 yo.  No place for it, and I am sure it's a moment he would like to have back.  It's great though that he wants to celebrate with the fans.  Maybe next time (and hopefully there is a next time in October) sling-shot some autographed tees instead.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I am not sure I understand why it would had been worse if it were a 7 year old?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I am not sure I understand why it would had been worse if it were a 7 year old?

As I said, seeing a grown adult injuried by this behavior is bad enough.   It's a bigger story and even worse if it were a child gashed up, just my opinion of course.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

A life = A life regardless of demographics

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

A life = A life regardless of demographics

I agree wholeheartedly with that.  And I agree injured parties should be made whole.

I just think that what appears to be a minor flesh wound is not a big deal.  This epidemic of beer can kicking appears to have caused one minor flesh wound...how many people are injured by batted balls or broken bats?  I understand one is an accepted risk of attending a game and the other reckless silliness, but the whole thing seems a bit Mrs. Helen Lovejoyish to me.  Unless the man is truly injured, of course.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yuh.  This is exactly why this country needs more lawyers.  :-(

Why not make contact with Gomes, tell him what happened and see what his reaction is before contacting a lawyer?  If you get a sincere apology and a guarantee to make things right, then do that rather than immediately think, "SUE!"

JMHO

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Yuh.  This is exactly why this country needs more lawyers.  :-(

Why not make contact with Gomes, tell him what happened and see what his reaction is before contacting a lawyer?  If you get a sincere apology and a guarantee to make things right, then do that rather than immediately think, "SUE!"

JMHO

I've dealt with enough idiots in my life to know that the only guarantee is one that goes through the legal system.  Blame the idiots who are not honorable in their word for the sue-happy society you speak of.......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Gomes seems the type of guy that would react very honourably to such an approach, and has the access and resources to make it good.

I'd happily get hit in the face with a beer can for front row seats to the playoffs every year.  My body looks like a voodoo doll's as it is.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Gomes seems the type of guy that would react very honourably to such an approach, and has the access and resources to make it good.

I'd happily get hit in the face with a beer can for front row seats to the playoffs every year.  My body looks like a voodoo doll's as it is.....

Now a days, the only thing that seems to make men honorable are enforceable contracts

And most millionaires I know are incredibly cheap

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

Now a days, the only thing that seems to make men honorable are enforceable contracts

And most millionaires I know are incredibly cheap

[/QUOTE]

I know lots of honourable people.  And what harm could there be in assuming Gomes is honourable and approaching him first?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

....and meeting contractual obligations isn't overtly honourable, is it?  Isn't it just the obeying the law?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And thats the big problem with this country. Talk to Gomes and see what he says. Why go running for the nearest ambulance chaser? No need. Im sure Gomes would take care of that man without lawyers involved. Unless of course all you care about is trying to get more money than this injury is really worth. Maybe because Ive already earned my money, this is why I think this way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'd consultant with assistance of counsel first.

If it becomes a mess later, you need to have your lawyer involved from the beginning - the later he gets involved the harder the job becomes.

It's like when you get into a car accident - always file a report.  You don't have to contact insurance but you always have the option.  If you don't file a report, in most state you lose that option - or at least it becomes much harder.

Anyways, what Gomes did makes me sick.  If you did that to him he'd surely charge you instantly. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

And thats the big problem with this country. Talk to Gomes and see what he says. Why go running for the nearest ambulance chaser? No need. Im sure Gomes would take care of that man without lawyers involved. Unless of course all you care about is trying to get more money than this injury is really worth. Maybe because Ive already earned my money, this is why I think this way.

[/QUOTE]

No, it's because you are a fair and decent person.  If the guy lost an eye, or was a model and suffered a major scar, etc....he should go after an appropriately huge amount of money.  But a (presumably) little scar at most?  It's nothing, and unless one is after something for nothing an apology/bat/tickets/costs is more than enough.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

There are already too many stupid lawsuits.  Don't need someone suing for getting hit by a beer can during celebration.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

The guy will have a great story to tell for years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Who said anything about new laws?  This is not statutory although I am sure he could file a police report and press charges for laws already on the books.  This is a PRIVATE MATTER.

And that's nice that you would be fine with it but I wouldnt be and I wouldn't let it slide either because that moron and others may do it again - gotta stop the madness.