Red Sox Have Fallen, And They Can't Get Up-How do you fix the mess-What advise would you give Ben?-try for playoffs or look to 2013?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Red Sox Have Fallen, And They Can't Get Up-How do you fix the mess-What advise would you give Ben?-try for playoffs or lo...

When you have as much money tied up in useless players (Lackey, Dice-K) and underperforming ones (Beckett, Lester, Crawford, Gonzalez) as the Sox do there isn't a whole lot you can do other than sit tight and hope they get better or try and trade them away.  The problem with trading them is that A) you are selling low and B) given their huge contracts it will be tough to find a trade partner that won't require the Sox to eat a ton of salary which is probably worse than just keeping them.  Unfortunately whether we like it or not barring some team willing to take a huge salary risk like the White Sox with Rios or the Angels with Vernon Wells these guys are here to stay.

Dice is gone after this year and Lackey is untradeable.  I think they should keep Lester and Gonzalez and try to move Beckett and Crawford without eating a ton of salary.  That being said I wouldn't be surprised if they fail to do so and I can't really blame Ben C for it.  It's an impossible situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Red Sox Have Fallen, And They Can't Get Up-How do you fix the mess-What advise would you give Ben?-try for playoffs or lo...

In this poker game, at what point do you fold?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the 2010s are going to be a long, painful decade...watching the Rangers thrash the Sox last nite made me realize this beating is going to last a while, and be administered by many teams...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

The mess are already on the DL.  How can we fix that?  Would these teams take any DL players from Boston?

In a perfect world, I wish Boston can get Felix and let Seattle have Lester.  Boston can get Hanley and Josh Johnson, and Marlins can have Crawford/Beckett.  Boston can get Hamels, and Phillies can have Doubront and Shoppach.  

But we all know it is not going to happen!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Trading Beckett and Salty before the deadline would be an excellent start.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

This team is streaky, that's certain. Other than that I really don't see a lot of talent. Agon and Jacoby seem extremely talented. But, the rest of the team seems average, just plain average. 

I see four more winning and lossing streaks this season and it ends with a thud.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Unfortunately, I think they should stand pat.  As pcmIV nicely put it, there are too many bad contracts.
    You can be delusional and think that a tweak here or there will turn things around.   They won't.  The pitching staff is a mess.  Crawford is all messed up.  I worry about Pedey's head the more he has friction with BV.  No one on the club seems to exude confidence in others like Damon or Schilling (to name 2) used to.

I'd rebuild the pitching staff from within (minors) and put Beckett in the BP.  Sad to say that Doubront might be the best starter on the team right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

First: 6/4/2010
    Last: 7/24/2012
    Last night was a smackdown. The Rangers are a better team. Plain and simple. Doubront has not progressed at all. Expect more of the same the next two nights, and then again in New York this weekend. After that , expect a major sell off at the deadline. Beckett , Crawford, DiceK, Cook , Sweeney , Ross , Aviles , Punto , Nava and Shoppach should all be aggressively shopped. Get whatever you can for them. Eat salary if necessary. Bring up Iglesias , Lavarnway , Linares and possibly Bradley.  Bailey to close. Hopefully , Bard to set up. Morales , Aceves and/or Padilla to the rotation. Do not trade any of our top prospects for a so called " ace." I don't see any other way at this point. Mistakes made over the winter are still hurting us now. It is time for major changes.

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Have Fallen, And They Can't Get Up-How do you fix the mess-What advise would you give Ben?-try for playoffs or look to 2013?:
    [QUOTE]This team is streaky, that's certain.   
    Posted by proftom[/QUOTE]

Streaky is definitely the word.  I looked up their games and 8 different times they have had losing streaks of at least 3 games.  we aren't even 10 games in and 8 times they lost 3 in a row.  

it's hard to get any sustainable momentum when you know if you lose 1 it's going to turn into 3 or more in a row.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't know enough to offer useful advice, and I'm pretty sure that applies to most of the contributors to OTFB. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As Dad would say..........   "SON, the end is near. Im glad that you went in the NAVY in 1967 instead of signing with the $ox" !!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox Have Fallen, And They Can't Get Up-How do you fix the mess-What advise would you give Ben?-try for playoffs or look to 2013?:
    [QUOTE]Bruce Levine ESPN Radio, Baseball Reporter Dempster in the Cubs clubhouse. Deal w Braves looks to be dying on the vine.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

As for now Braves do have a deal with the Cubs, but it is depend if Dempster is going to approve the deal or not!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Multiple Teams Interested In Hanley Ramirez

The Athletics, Dodgers, Blue Jays and Orioles are among the teams with interest in Hanley Ramirez, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (on Twitter). Interest levels in Ramirez vary and nothing is close, Rosenthal reports. The Red Sox are also interested, according to USA Today. However, Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com hears Boston isn't in on Ramirez (Twitter link).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

not in on Ramirez??? guess Crawford stays

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Crawford for Rameriz would do wonders for this team.......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Boston isn't trading for Ramirez because they don't want to take another underperforming player with a huge contract without dumping one themselves.  Miami has made it clear they want prospects.  This is the big problem with all of the bad contracts that the Sox have on the books right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Latest On Ryan Dempster

3:26pm: Dempster told reporters, including Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com, that he's taking his time to weigh his options (Twitter link). He plans to pitch for the Cubs tomorrow. "I have a pretty good idea of where I want to go," Dempster said, according to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune (on Twitter). 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

D'Backs Don’t Expect To Trade Upton Mid-Season

It sounds like Justin Upton isn’t going to be traded -- at least not any time soon. Diamondbacks managing partner Ken Kendrick told Scott Bordow of the Arizona Republic that it’s a “reasonable assumption” that Upton will stay put for the rest of the season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I wouldn't trade Buch, Pedroia, AGon, Middlebrooks, or anybody on the farm.  I would entertain offers for everyone else. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

22. The Nationals' primary concern is improving their middle infield depth, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports. The Nationals could make a move very soon now that Ian Desmond might miss a month with a strained oblique. The team has discussed 15-20 players in the Marco Scutaro, Jamey Carroll, Nick Punto mold, Kilgore reports.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

deal to be made there?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In Response to Red Sox Have Fallen, And They Can't Get Up-How do you fix the mess-What advise would you give Ben?-try for playoffs or look to 2013?:
    [QUOTE]I haven't given up yet. But Beckett is out of here and so is Crawford. Lester may be out but only for an elite pitcher in return. Anyone want Lackey? Yes I want Josh Johnson and I'll take Hanley if they take Crawford and Beckett. Thoughts? How do you fix this mess?
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Sox do not need infielders or outfielders!  Pitching, pitching, pitching is what they obviously need, and on my radar would be the following pitchers:

Johnson, Marlins
    Betancourt, Rockies
    McCarthy, A's
    Balfour, A's

BUT, don't give away the farm which is what these teams will want, so in other words, there won't be any trades.  Who in their right mind would want Crawford, Beckett, Lackey, and or Lester? No one! We're stuck with this mess.  ALL we need is for Beckett and Lester to somehow, someway turn their miserable performance so far this year and start pitching like they (gulp) used to.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The Sox are more than one player away from contention this year.  Any trade they make might help, but you can't put one tire on a car with four flats and expect to go anywhere.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In this poker game, at what point do you fold?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Poker is an appropriate comparison.  When you're losing, it doesn't mean you quit.  You simply play the next hand as well as possible.  If you're having a bad night, you try to make it half as bad.

A lot of posters want to trade for the sake of trading.  Selling on guys that are underperforming is counter-intuitive.  Even if you want to give up, and it does look bleak, our long-term best interests are best served by selling off the guys performing well.

If you want to give up on the season, we'd still be better off trading Papi, Aviles, Salty, Ross, Aceves, Padilla, and maybe Middlebrooks.  Even for those that don't like Beckett and Lester, it makes no sense to trade them now.