Red Sox Interested in Bobby Abreu for First Base

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Red Sox Interested in Bobby Abreu for First Base

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bobby Abreu no thanx. It seems the Sox are looking for a back up plan, if the Napoli deal is rejected. This is not the answer.

The sox are better off with Berkman( 1 year with 2nd year option) and signing Grady Sizemore to minor league deal and see if Grady can is recovered during spring training.

Berkman Gomez and Papi for 1B

Papi Berkman and Gomez for DH'ing

If the sox have too Berkman can be a depth OF'er. only if necessary.

[/QUOTE]

this is not a backup plan for napoli...they just want a guy for the bench who can play OF/1B...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

At what point are people going to understand that rejuvenated players are rejuvenated for a reason? I hope that the Sox are not going to turn into the Yankees and recruit aging players who would have to be using PEDs or steroids to stay in the major leagues.

It's silly they went to South America to judge how he plays when their view of PEDs is different from here. If a country doesn't find anything wrong with it, and makes it accessable to anyone in a local store, they won't do anything about it there. It's a different mindset. Whatever he does there, may not mean what he's going to do here, and if it does, we could wind up with a guy on steroids.

Even if he can help the Sox, I'm not for PEDs in baseball, and I wish that MLB felt the same way and were more serious about it instead of just banning players for 50 games over and over like some kind of fine. It's either illegal or it isn't. It shoudn't be just a fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

At what point are people going to understand that rejuvenated players are rejuvenated for a reason? I hope that the Sox are not going to turn into the Yankees and recruit aging players who would have to be using PEDs or steroids to stay in the major leagues.

It's silly they went to South America to judge how he plays when their view of PEDs is different from here. If a country doesn't find anything wrong with it, and makes it accessable to anyone in a local store, they won't do anything about it there. It's a different mindset. Whatever he does there, may not mean what he's going to do here, and if it does, we could wind up with a guy on steroids.

Even if he can help the Sox, I'm not for PEDs in baseball, and I wish that MLB felt the same way and were more serious about it instead of just banning players for 50 games over and over like some kind of fine. It's either illegal or it isn't. It shoudn't be just a fine.

[/QUOTE]

Have you never heard of manny, papi, gagne, etc?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I reported "ben Cheringtom" as personal attack because it is. I've never reported posts until consistent posters like "Ben Cherington" proved they were going to just continue it over all threads. The report abuse button doesn't even show that's it's been reported.

Like I was saying in Beantowne's thread, it's who you know here. And this Yankee troll has been around long enough to know personal spats on another board between Thatwasme and Hingham Hammer. Of course, he was on the side of Yankee troll, Thatwasme.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

It was removed only after I made my post. FTR

One still has to wonder how many individual posts have to be removed considering the moderators can see his post history, before HE is removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I reported "ben Cheringtom" as personal attack because it is. I've never reported posts until consistent posters like "Ben Cherington" proved they were going to just continue it over all threads. The report abuse button doesn't even show that's it's been reported.

Like I was saying in Beantowne's thread, it's who you know here. And this Yankee troll has been around long enough to know personal spats on another board between Thatwasme and Hingham Hammer. Of course, he was on the side of Yankee troll, Thatwasme.

[/QUOTE]

Another insightful baseball related post from pikesaysthis

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Berkman is the answer for 1B even better than Naps.

[/QUOTE]

He really isn't.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he really is!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Berkman is the answer for 1B even better than Naps.

[/QUOTE]

I would say Berkman is the second best option after Napoli and has bigger health concerns.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's necessarily true. Except for last year, Berkman averaged 142 games a per full season over his entire career, and while there is a question about his knees, a bad hip for Nap would preclude him from catching any games, and is much more serious.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I would have no problem with Berkman on a one-year low-risk, high-reward deal (though I'm sure that would only add fire to the "Red Sox sign too many old, broken-down players" meme). Better him than Abreu, who has looked done for two seasons now (though it appears the Sox were just doing due diligence there).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would have no problem with Berkman on a one-year low-risk, high-reward deal (though I'm sure that would only add fire to the "Red Sox sign too many old, broken-down players" meme). Better him than Abreu, who has looked done for two seasons now (though it appears the Sox were just doing due diligence there).

[/QUOTE]

A career .409 OBP is phenomenol. I can only see an upside to signing him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Bobby's too cool to come to Boston. We're not a cool team yet. Maybe after we become cool (winning record in Sept.) then we could think about getting Bobby. I saw him in NY along time ago at the Caribe Bar dancing. He took these little baby steps, had great rythym and balance and was very impressive on the dance floor. He got a nice round of applause when the music stopped.         This new team of ours is loaded with nice guys. Polite gentlemen that say Please and Thank You and May I. Win or Lose we're going to be polite. Which brings to mind a famous saying by Leo Durocher, nicknamed " The Lip ". "Nice guys finish last".

14. This post has been removed.