Red Sox Managerial Canadiates

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Red Sox Managerial Canadiates

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mryazz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ah, mr. softy and mr. bill. ya gotta love em. 

a case of someone so ignorant, it takes two monikers to spread his stupidity around.

both baseball stupid and politically stupid.

if this nitwit was in favor of obama, i would be disappointed. it's a known fact that most of the morons in this country(like softy/bill) live on the extreme right. 

question of the day: name a right wing-nut with a sense of humor.

answer: there aren't any.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with half of this Yazz..Trotter is a right wing nut who seems intent on forcing his political views on the rest of us on a baseball forum despite being told time after time that no one wants to hear it. On the other hand, I find myself agreeing with his posts most of the time when they are related to baseball. If he could only learn to restrict what he writes to baseball related thoughts....

[/QUOTE]

The problem is that, even though he knows BB, he can't focus on it.  20 years fron now, he'll still be starting threads about Wake and Tek.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Judging by the title of the thread we should be focusing on Canadian born people for this job.

Managerial Canadiates. ????

My choices:

A. Phil Esposito

B. Tony Esposito

C. Reggie Cleveland

D. Rheal Cormier

E. William Shatner

F. Pamela Anderson ( NESN wouldn't need Jenny Dell anymore...$$$ saved by the organization)

G. Howie Mandel

H. Tommy Chong ( Cheech and Chong)

I. Keanu Reeves

J. Jim Carrey

K. Alex Trebek

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Obama should be available.

But do we really want to hear about what a mess of a team he inherited?

[/QUOTE]

Bald, 

I do not need to hear your, Yazz's, Trotter's  or Bill806s political cpmments on this part of Boston.com. I read and respect your opinions on sport, but as to Trotter, Bill806 I refer to them as trolling. 

This is a forum to discuss sports and as far as I'm concerned you and the others who I've mentioned and your political comments are not wanted or welcome. Whether I'm a Democrat or Republican, Conservative or Liberal has little to do with my opinion on this subject. Please keep your politics to yourself or vent them where appropriate and not in this forum. I'm sure many agree but just do not want to ruffle feathers and do not write in.

Hetchinspete 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still like Tony Pena.

[/QUOTE]

A black manager in Boston? Never happen!

[/QUOTE]

Bill Russell, Satch Sanders, KC Jones, ML Carr, Doc Rivers.

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that Pena is Latino, otherwise it was a fine post by Ike.

[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I don't understand why someone wouldn't consider a person from Latin America of African ancestry "Black" (if/when one thinks about such things at all). 

Is Ferguson Jenkins "Black"?  I'd say yes, he's a guy of African ancestry that comes from Canada.  Daley Thompson (Decathalete)?  I'd say yes, he's a guy of African ancestry that comes from England.  Thierry Henry (footballer)?  I'd say yes, he's a guy of African ancestry that comes from France.  So why is it different for guys of African ancestry that come from countries in Latin America?  It seems exactly the same to me.

Can someone explain their thinking on this?

[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans

"Unlike typical Americans of the United States, people from Latin America usually identify themselves with their nationalities and not by ancestry,skin color,or race because of generations of multi-racial mating between races in Latin America and is part of Latin American culture since the beginning of colonization who were generally Spanish,African black,European,and indigenous people. (The spanish were of iberian,jewish,or muslim arabic decent or mixed decent of those three or more)."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to mryazz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ah, mr. softy and mr. bill. ya gotta love em. 

a case of someone so ignorant, it takes two monikers to spread his stupidity around.

both baseball stupid and politically stupid.

if this nitwit was in favor of obama, i would be disappointed. it's a known fact that most of the morons in this country(like softy/bill) live on the extreme right. 

question of the day: name a right wing-nut with a sense of humor.

answer: there aren't any.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with half of this Yazz..Trotter is a right wing nut who seems intent on forcing his political views on the rest of us on a baseball forum despite being told time after time that no one wants to hear it. On the other hand, I find myself agreeing with his posts most of the time when they are related to baseball. If he could only learn to restrict what he writes to baseball related thoughts....

[/QUOTE]

The problem is that, even though he knows BB, he can't focus on it.  20 years fron now, he'll still be starting threads about Wake and Tek.

[/QUOTE]

Either can't or won't.

With this thread assuming that firing Valentine is a done deal, how  many people here will go nuts if they decide to bring him back? It would be a shock, but lets keep in mind that he isn't fired yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

"Unlike typical Americans of the United States, people from Latin America usually identify themselves with their nationalities and not by ancestry,skin color,or race because of generations of multi-racial mating between races in Latin America and is part of Latin American culture since the beginning of colonization who were generally Spanish,African black,European,and indigenous people. (The spanish were of iberian,jewish,or muslim arabic decent or mixed decent of those three or more)."

I was just talking to my son about that.  He was talking about a Hispanic girl he knew from Argentina.  So I told she probably just thinks of herself as South American, and not Hispanic.  He then said, come to think of it, she is white and has freckles.

America is the only place in the world where a point guard from France is considered an African-America, and a point guard from South Africa is not even considered African.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If they were going to go for an unknown I would think Brad Ausmus would be on the list as well...I know nothing about him as a manager, but he fits the Mathaney/Ventura mold...

Not sure farrell would be the right choice. He has some qualities that might work here in Boston but would cost us. Not so sure hes worth it.

Tony Pena is an interesting name and as a player and a coach is well respected around the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Pena is tough, but Pena also is a guy that is known to get along with players well. He is a former manager of the year.

He is a former Red Sox player and did a good job when he was manager of KC and has done a good job as the Yankee bench coach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Pena is tough, but Pena also is a guy that is known to get along with players well. He is a former manager of the year.

He is a former Red Sox player and did a good job when he was manager of KC and has done a good job as the Yankee bench coach.

[/QUOTE]

yeah, from what Ive seen he has some of the qualities that would seem to work well here in Boston. I think he would be immediately respected and wouldnt take any crap from anyone, yet have the personality where none of the players would be afraid to talk and joke with him as well...A good balance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is he available or is he still under contract with the Yankees? I would hate to have to compensate the Yankees in order to acquire him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is he available or is he still under contract with the Yankees? I would hate to have to compensate the Yankees in order to acquire him.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but its not a latteral move so there would be no compensation. The Yanks could just not let him interview if he was under contract. If they do let him and he accepts it would be a move up from his current position so like I said, I dont believe there would be compensation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

A black manager in Boston? Never happen!

[/QUOTE]

Bill Russell, Satch Sanders, KC Jones, ML Carr, Doc Rivers.

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that Pena is Latino, otherwise it was a fine post by Ike.

[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I don't understand why someone wouldn't consider a person from Latin America of African ancestry "Black" (if/when one thinks about such things at all). 

Is Ferguson Jenkins "Black"?  I'd say yes, he's a guy of African ancestry that comes from Canada.  Daley Thompson (Decathalete)?  I'd say yes, he's a guy of African ancestry that comes from England.  Thierry Henry (footballer)?  I'd say yes, he's a guy of African ancestry that comes from France.  So why is it different for guys of African ancestry that come from countries in Latin America?  It seems exactly the same to me.

Can someone explain their thinking on this?

[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans

[/QUOTE]

That's interesting.   I don't think the "Black" people from the non-Spanish settled countries in Central/South America think that way....I know quite a few here and will ask them.

The topic reminds me of a famous, funny moment in televised cricket where a huge West Indian player from Guyana named Clive Lloyd (who was "Black") was in the middle of the pitch speaking to a very small, white English cricketer (whose name I forget).  The television announcer referencing the English player referred to him as "the one in the hat". 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I also like the choice of Pena--anybody coming in now should be well received--not like following Francona. 

Arnie B; I also think could be a popular choice with the players. 

My gut says it will be Tek. The White Sox and Cards hired two guys that were players recently without managerial experience.

Farrell would be my 4 th choice.

Tek, Pena, Arnie and Farrell--------all with Sox ties.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

"Black" is a race-like Caucasian, Asian, or American Indian; "African American" refers to nationality. Thats how I understand it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also like the choice of Pena--anybody coming in now should be well received--not like following Francona. 

My gut says it will be Tek. The White Sox and Cards hired two guys that were players recently without managerial experience.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Varitek has the experience to do the job here. This market is not suitable for on the job training. Eventually he will make a good manager somewhere, but he is not the right guy at this time. Pena would be fine, if the Yankees allow him to interview here. Arnie would be an interesting choice as he clearly has the experience needed to deal with the younger players that represent the future here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Varitek has the experience to do the job here. This market is not suitable for on the job training. Eventually he will make a good manager somewhere, but he is not the right guy at this time. Pena would be fine, if the Yankees allow him to interview here. Arnie would be an interesting choice as he clearly has the experience needed to deal with the younger players that represent the future here.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, we can't give the keys to the car to a guy that's never driven.  Not this car, anyway.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Red Sox Managerial Candidates

Pinstripe, 

I'd go for Pam Anderson in her younger days before she got a booob job. 

Seriously though, I cannot recall his name which shows I live in Milwaukee making it difficult to follow the Sox but I hear good things about the young manager in Pawtucket. With the Sox in a youth movement it might be a good move with using V-Tek as a bench coach/assistant manager to liason with the vets. 

Hetch

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pinstripe, 

I'd go for Pam Anderson in her younger days before she got a booob job. 

Seriously though, I cannot recall his name which shows I live in Milwaukee making it difficult to follow the Sox but I hear good things about the young manager in Pawtucket. With the Sox in a youth movement it might be a good move with using V-Tek as a bench coach/assistant manager to liason with the vets. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Whoever is selected manager needs to be able to pick his own coaches. If Varitek is selected, great; if not then he will have to wait his turn. I think he would make a great coach for our young catchers and pitchers.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

I still like Tony Pena.

[/QUOTE]

ME TOO!

Did well in KC, players respect him, former C, former Red Sox. Why isn't he anywhere on these "expert's" lists? He was mentioned last year, but people have forgotten him now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

OUCH the yanks just lost one of those games

when you just knew all those early runners left on base were going to kill you

of course a 250 hitter named Rajai Davis 

going 7 for his 1st 7 this series didn't help

I nticed that in the beginning of the game.  It's one of my pet peeves.

Jeter goes 1-0 and singles

Ichiro takes a ball, two swings, a ball, and a single

ARod-A ball, a swing, and 3 balls

Cano-2 balls, 3 swings

Swisher-2 swings, then a single

Grandy-A ball and a swing

So you've gone through 6 batters, and they haven't taken a call strike.  1-0, 1-0, 1-0, 2-0, 1-0, and no one takes a strike to work the count.  Romero walks five guys per 9 innings.  You need to work the guy a little.