Red Sox sign Cuban pitcher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Red Sox sign Cuban pitcher

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/red-sox-sign-cuban-pitcher-dalier-hinojosa/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Red Sox sign Cuban pitcher

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/red-sox-sign-cuban-pitcher-dalier-hinojosa/

[/QUOTE] Mornin' mojo..good read....nice get by you guys..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Sounds like he's more of a organizational depth signing with some upside to perhaps make the team as a reliever. As they say you can't have too much pitching and given his age and experience  shouldn't take long to see if he has the stuff to get big league hitters out...El Duque?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Mornin' Jete..It'll be interesting to see how the rosters of both teams change this offseason.I read the Yankees are going hard after Japanese starting pitcher Mashiro Tanaka who sported a 24-0 record with a 1.27 ERA in Japan.Those are some damn impressive numbers in any league. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

Mornin' Jete..It'll be interesting to see how the rosters of both teams change this offseason.I read the Yankees are going hard after Japanese starting pitcher Mashiro Tanaka who sported a 24-0 record with a 1.27 ERA in Japan.Those are some damn impressive numbers in any league. 

[/QUOTE]

20-0 according to BB Reference, but either way he has solid stats. Only 24 yrs old, doesn't walk many betters, good strikeout to walk ratio, with 7 complete games this year. 95-35 in seven years and has been up since just 18 years of age.

Hetch

He'll get big money to sign. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

20-0 according to BB Reference, but either way he has solid stats. Only 24 yrs old, doesn't walk many betters, good strikeout to walk ratio, with 7 complete games this year. 95-35 in seven years and has been up since just 18 years of age.

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

That's kind of odd.I see where baseball reference has him at 20-0 this year like you said,but several other sites have him at 24-0 like this quote from yahoo:

"Pitching for the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles of Sendai, the 24-year-old right-hander went 24-0 with a 1.24 ERA, according to NESN.com's Owen Ziegler."

Sports Illustrated has him at 22-0:

"Some evaluators believe Tanaka, who went 22-0 with a 1.23 ERA for the Pacific League champion Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles, could be the best pitcher ever to come out of Japan."

Either way,he looks like he could be a force in the near future.

As far as the money to sign goes,I think that'll be a drop in the bucket compared to what his Japanese club gets for the rights to negotiate with him.That's one of the reasons NY will go after him hard,posting fees don't count against the salary cap.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Terms of the deal aren't known, but the signing bonus won't count against Boston's international spending cap since Hinojosa is 27 years old....

Hinojosa throws "a slurvy breaking ball," a fastball in the 88-92 mph range, and another splitter/changeup-type of pitch."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

That's kind of odd.I see where baseball reference has him at 20-0 this year like you said,but several other sites have him at 24-0 like this quote from yahoo:

"Pitching for the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles of Sendai, the 24-year-old right-hander went 24-0 with a 1.24 ERA, according to NESN.com's Owen Ziegler."

Sports Illustrated has him at 22-0:

"Some evaluators believe Tanaka, who went 22-0 with a 1.23 ERA for the Pacific League champion Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles, could be the best pitcher ever to come out of Japan."

Either way,he looks like he could be a force in the near future.

As far as the money to sign goes,I think that'll be a drop in the bucket compared to what his Japanese club gets for the rights to negotiate with him.That's one of the reasons NY will go after him hard,posting fees don't count against the salary cap.  

[/QUOTE]

Maybe his record translates differently from Japanese to English depending on the News source it goes to. Chuckle, Chuckle.  Either way I wonder if the Sox have given him a look. Even if only to raise the bidding price up to make the Evil Empire spend more money against their cap. 

Hetch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I thought that they only played SOCCER @ GITMO ????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe his record translates differently from Japanese to English depending on the News source it goes to. Chuckle, Chuckle.  Either way I wonder if the Sox have given him a look. Even if only to raise the bidding price up to make the Evil Empire spend more money against their cap. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

just wondering

did you read the post U were responding 2

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Wonder if having Koji and Tazawa would be enticing for him as well?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I'd be shocked if the Sox didn't take a shot at Tankada.  Not expecting them to come close to winning, but they should test the waters to see...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Terms of the deal aren't known, but the signing bonus won't count against Boston's international spending cap since Hinojosa is 27 years old....

Hinojosa throws "a slurvy breaking ball," a fastball in the 88-92 mph range, and another splitter/changeup-type of pitch."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

[/QUOTE]

TODAY, 8:37am: The Sox will pay Hinojosa a $4MM bonus, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweeted early this morning. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd be shocked if the Sox didn't take a shot at Tankada.  Not expecting them to come close to winning, but they should test the waters to see...

[/QUOTE]

they did the same thing with Darvish and Ryu.. i'd expect them to make a run at him. the size of the aforementioned run probably depends on what the scouts say. A team should always be looking to upgrade their rotation.

i haven't read any scouting reports on the guy yet so im not ready to say whether we should make a serious run at him or not. That is something to delve into during the offseason.

IRT the cuban pitcher: i think this is a decent move. he could play a role in the BP next season and it even looks like he was a starter in Cuba so maybe he could also play an eventual role in the rotation down the road.