Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Red Sox sign David Ross to two year deal

YES!!!! I wanted this guy signed to back salty up...Looks like Lav will either start the year in AAA or 1 of Lav/Salty will soon be part of a trade.

Since Ross is a RHH catcher, I think Salty will be here in 2013.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

But wait...the next Carlton Fisk will likely lose his job!! What say you t-ballers?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But wait...the next Carlton Fisk will likely lose his job!! What say you t-ballers?

[/QUOTE]

It makes more sense that a move with Lavarnway would be happening IMO. Either AAA, 1b, or even a trade. With Ross hitting RH it only makes sense to keep Salty around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It makes more sense that a move with Lavarnway would be happening IMO. Either AAA, 1b, or even a trade. With Ross hitting RH it only makes sense to keep Salty around.

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with you at all southpaw, I also believe that signing Ross spells the end to Lavarnway's chances of making the Sox in 2013...whether he gets moved in a trade is still to be determined...

...but should we possibly be reading between the lines here?? One of their first moves is to bring in a catcher, which possibly means that the initial trade discussions with another team includes the SOx sending a catcher as part of the deal.

On the other hand, maybe the Sox FO is not as high on their backup catcher as certain individuals on this forum.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with you at all southpaw, I also believe that signing Ross spells the end to Lavarnway's chances of making the Sox in 2013...whether he gets moved in a trade is still to be determined...

...but should we possibly be reading between the lines here?? One of their first moves is to bring in a catcher, which possibly means that the initial trade discussions with another team includes the SOx sending a catcher as part of the deal.

On the other hand, maybe the Sox FO is not as high on their backup catcher as certain individuals on this forum.

[/QUOTE]

They are very thin at 1b, maybe a conversion to 1b for Lav is possible as well. he could really concentrate on his hitting at 1b more than he could behind the plate.

Ive stated before that I believe the lack of production on offense from most catchers is a direct result of concentrating mostly on defense and all the other work that goes into playing the position.

Either way, I think those questions will be asked and we should know the answers soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its a 2/6.2M deal...3.1M per for a BU catcher. Interesting.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah they'll Trade Lavarnway to Oakland, that worked last year why not try again. Guy has been a consistent hitter in the Minors has a hiccup in the Majors, believe me these are the kind of moves Beane jumps on.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe theyre just giving him another year in AAA to work on his defense behind the plate. Maybe theyre converting him to 1b.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Probably means no Napoli

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Good move by Cherington, the worthless GM who can't make a decision and pull the trigger;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Probably means no Napoli

[/QUOTE]

Im fine with that Jim...I wasnt too big on that signing anyway.

Now a 1-2yr deal for Hunter would be nice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Probably means no Napoli

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But some think Ross is better. .....you Pollyanna you ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Interesting.  In all of the articles I've read about potential FA signings the Red Sox might make this offseason, there was absolutley no mention of David Ross.  Not the Ross I was expecting to read about signing with the Sox.  35-yr old catcher, and a two-year deal.  Meanwhile, a 34 year-old Cody Ross is not worthy of a 3-year deal?

My guess, though I think they will regret it, is that the Sox have a deal with Lavarnway in the works, and the hope is that Swihart will be ready in two years.  If it garners the Sox a #2 or #3 starter, who can give them 200 innings then I am for it, as that is their greatest need.  But I do think that giving up on Lavarnway at this point is another Jeff Bagwell in the making.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to redsoxfan28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

[/QUOTE]

By trading Lav the FO would need to seriously consider offering Salty a long term contract.  If Salty continues to linger around a 280 OBP again with decent but not great defense, his skill set has probably hit the ceiling?  A 280 OBP isn't needed in this lineup which is another reason they could be taking another step backwards if Iggy starts.  Big risk with a return we have yet to see at two crucial positions. 

There may be another angle to this, or the Sox just feel they will cross that bridge if it happens.  Either way I still predict Lav is better than Salty in two years and he will at least get the chance to prove it like Reddick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

If the Sox sign Napoli at this point, it is probably to make him the full-time 1Bman, and might mean they actually trade Salty away.  But I question whether Napoli is a better value than Youk at 1B anyway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Probably means no Napoli

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But some think Ross is better. .....you Pollyanna you ;)

[/QUOTE]

yeah, Im such a "bootlicker".

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Sox sign Napoli at this point, it is probably to make him the full-time 1Bman, and might mean they actually trade Salty away.  But I question whether Napoli is a better value than Youk at 1B anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Napoli at 1B, Salty catching and Iggy possibly playing SS would not improve our OBP, or most likely get us very far next season.  None of these guys can hold their own on an every day basis.

We better find the right pieces to help if thats our plan. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

YES!!!! I wanted this guy signed to back salty up...Looks like Lav will either start the year in AAA or 1 of Lav/Salty will soon be part of a trade.

Good call Southpaw.  I am glad that the Sox signed a veteran  back up catcher who is supposedly defensively oriented.  According to his scouting report, he has good pitch calling skills, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.  He does have a great arm though, for those who are overly concerned with controlling the running game.

It looks like the Sox will be going with a Salty/Ross tandem, which I can live with.  What the plans are for Lavarnway is anybody's guess. 

The contract is a little steep, IMO. However, according to Fangraphs WAR over the past years, he will be well worth $3 mil a year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good call Southpaw.  I am glad that the Sox signed a veteran  back up catcher who is supposedly defensively oriented.  According to his scouting report, he has good pitch calling skills, although I'm not sure how accurate that is.  He does have a great arm though, for those who are overly concerned with controlling the running game.

It looks like the Sox will be going with a Salty/Ross tandem, which I can live with.  What the plans are for Lavarnway is anybody's guess. 

The contract is a little steep, IMO. However, according to Fangraphs WAR over the past years, he will be well worth $3 mil a year.

[/QUOTE]

Braves fans are pretty upset over this. Ross crushes LHP and plays a solid D. Hes also a great clubhouse guy from all reports. Great move by BC!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm over it with Salt. Time to move on IMO.