Red Sox Trade Deadline Untouchables

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Red Sox Trade Deadline Untouchables

The Red Sox have a great farm system right now. With regards to untouchables, these are the three names I have on my list:

1. Xander Bogaerts - This guys should not go anywhere. 20 years old and a line of .279/8HR/24 RBI, .380/.483/.863. Throw in the BB/K ratio of 23/29 and he's a cornerstone for the Red Sox. He compares favorably on the Minor League level to Manny Machado.

2. Henry Owens - His numbers are downright sick. In 104 IP, he's given up 66 hits, and struck out 123 batters. For 9 IP, that is an average of almost 11 K's and less than 5 hits. Yes, he walks a lot of batters, but he just turned 21 and he's a TALL lefty, i.e. Chris Sale.

3. Jackie Bradley - His defense grades at an A, hitting .277 with an OPS above .860 and 31 XBH in 57 games, and he provides insurance in case Ellsbury goes.

4. Garin Cecchini - He has been adjusting quite well to AA. Averaging over .325, and what I like best? Covering both Salem and Portland, he has walked 65 times and struck out 62 times. Wow. An OBA of .426.

In 2015, how would a left side infield of Cecchini (3B) and Bogaerts look?

I would not go after Peavy unless the cost was minimal. I would not go after Cliff Lee unless the Phillies picked up his salary.

Everyone else could be made available.

The rumor at the Cubs game last night is that the Cubs may make Jeff Samardzija available because he rejected an extension by the Cubs. I believe he's under team control for at least another year. He throws hard and he's only 27.

Let Theo take 3-4 of our prospects other than those menioned above.

Renaudo, Middlebrooks, Workman and one of the catchers (Butler/Swihart).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Red Sox Trade Deadline Untouchables

From someone who normally butts heads with you on here I gotta say good post and spot on.  

Those are pretty much the guys I would have ranked as untouchable.  We have enough talent in our system to make some kind of move that can help us without giving up those guys.  OF COURSE a team is going to aim high and ask for the untouchables but I'm confident (or at least hopeful) BEN C isn't that dumb.  And anybody in here who would give up a bunch of those guys for a Cliff Lee are probably the same people who walk into a car dealership and buy the first car the test drive no matter what it's priced at. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Workman allowed a total of four runs in his two starts against Oakland and the Rays.  These teams are not patsies. I want to see more innings from him before giving him up. He may not be a fluke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Those be the four!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

From someone who normally butts heads with you on here I gotta say good post and spot on.  

Those are pretty much the guys I would have ranked as untouchable.  We have enough talent in our system to make some kind of move that can help us without giving up those guys.  OF COURSE a team is going to aim high and ask for the untouchables but I'm confident (or at least hopeful) BEN C isn't that dumb.  And anybody in here who would give up a bunch of those guys for a Cliff Lee are probably the same people who walk into a car dealership and buy the first car the test drive no matter what it's priced at. 

Hugh - If you are from Bloomfield, I like you even more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Agree 100% ADG. Ive been listing the same 4 names on every thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hugh - If you are from Bloomfield, I like you even more.

[/QUOTE]

Close....West Hartford

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

2. Henry Owens - His numbers are downright sick. In 104 IP, he's given up 66 hits, and struck out 123 batters. For 9 IP, that is an average of almost 11 K's and less than 5 hits. Yes, he walks a lot of batters, but he just turned 21 and he's a TALL lefty, i.e. Chris Sale.

[/QUOTE]

Or Randy Johnson

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

The Red Sox have a great farm system right now. With regards to untouchables, these are the three names I have on my list:

1. Xander Bogaerts - This guys should not go anywhere. 20 years old and a line of .279/8HR/24 RBI, .380/.483/.863. Throw in the BB/K ratio of 23/29 and he's a cornerstone for the Red Sox. He compares favorably on the Minor League level to Manny Machado.

3. Jackie Bradley - His defense grades at an A, hitting .277 with an OPS above .860 and 31 XBH in 57 games, and he provides insurance in case Ellsbury goes.

4. Garin Cecchini - He has been adjusting quite well to AA. Averaging over .325, and what I like best? Covering both Salem and Portland, he has walked 65 times and struck out 62 times. Wow. An OBA of .426.

In 2015, how would a left side infield of Cecchini (3B) and Bogaerts look?

I would not go after Peavy unless the cost was minimal. I would not go after Cliff Lee unless the Phillies picked up his salary.

Everyone else could be made available.

The rumor at the Cubs game last night is that the Cubs may make Jeff Samardzija available because he rejected an extension by the Cubs. I believe he's under team control for at least another year. He throws hard and he's only 27.

Let Theo take 3-4 of our prospects other than those menioned above.

Renaudo, Middlebrooks, Workman and one of the catchers (Butler/Swihart).

AGREE, but we need to keep Workman too !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ranaudo may be very close to making this short list as well.

I hate to use the word "untouchable", but it would take a super return to even think about parting with any of these 4 or 5 players.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I hate to use the word "untouchable", but it would take a super return to even think about parting with any of these 4 or 5 players.

Sox4ever

I look at the Rays and see what they have done for many years that has brought them success, namely, bringing up great pitcher after great pitcher. Even when the lose a James Shields they replace him with Archer. What I am saying is that we don't know which of our crop of young pitchers is going to help us win for the next six years or more, so I would be reluctant to trade very many, if any, of them unless the return was sky high.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

Workman allowed a total of four runs in his two starts against Oakland and the Rays.  These teams are not patsies. I want to see more innings from him before giving him up. He may not be a fluke.

Yup, I'd like it explained to me why Samardzija is better than Workman before I proceed.  He's got good stats, but certainly not oeverwhelming, and he is an NL pitcher.  So we'd get 2.2 years of Samardziziz or 6.2 years of Workman.

I am so far unconvinced that we even need another SP.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

I look at the Rays and see what they have done for many years that has brought them success, namely, bringing up great pitcher after great pitcher. Even when the lose a James Shields they replace him with Archer. What I am saying is that we don't know which of our crop of young pitchers is going to help us win for the next six years or more, so I would be reluctant to trade very many, if any, of them unless the return was sky high.

[/QUOTE]

Look closer at what the Rays have done.

They traded Garza for Archer.

They did not draft Archer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Look closer at what the Rays have done.

They traded Garza for Archer.

They did not draft Archer.

[/QUOTE]

In fairness Moon, he never mentioned how the Rays had acquired Archer, only that they had replaced Garza with Archer. Tongue Out