RedSox: best defense in MLB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkindc. Show dkindc's posts

RedSox: best defense in MLB?

Best in hitting
    http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011

Best in fielding (if measured by UZR rather than UZR150*)
    http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011

9th best in pitching
    http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011

* Discussion of UZR vs UZR150: http://www.fangraphs.com/forums/topic.php?id=3256 ("...UZR/150 generally doesn't work well for fractions of a season.")

I am sure some of this has been covered before in some of the longer threads, but I was surprised to learn the Sox are one of the top fielding teams.

I am also sure Moonslav or Harness or Joe will be along soon to put these stats into better perspective, or link to where this info is already analyzed, but what the heck.  As Theo mythically yelled from the owner's box last year, "that is run prevention."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: RedSox: best defense in MLB?

I just hope, if there is a discussion about defense, that Drew's name comes up on the top of that list. I really felt bad for him when a beloved player like Kevin Millar called him dead weight. That must have been awful for him. I don't think any player intentionally doesn't do well at the plate, so it was kind of a low blow and, for me at least, unnecessary. There's no one that can play right field like Drew does, or make catches seem effortless that are anything but, like he does. I'm really disappointed Millar went there.

People need to understand that offense is not the only part of the game. Run prevention is very similar to creating runs. It doesn't get as much fanfare, but let's give credit where credit is due.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: RedSox: best defense in MLB?:
    [QUOTE]I just hope, if there is a discussion about defense, that Drew's name comes up on the top of that list. I really felt bad for him when a beloved player like Kevin Millar called him dead weight. That must have been awful for him. I don't think any player intentionally doesn't do well at the plate, so it was kind of a low blow and, for me at least, unnecessary. There's no one that can play right field like Drew does, or make catches seem effortless that are anything but, like he does. I'm really disappointed Millar went there. People need to understand that offense is not the only part of the game. Run prevention is very similar to creating runs. It doesn't get as much fanfare, but let's give credit where credit is due.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Kim,
    Well said, trust me those in the know, have known, for the last 5 years how valuable his defense in RF has been for the Sox especially at Fenway (Which is one of the more difficult and spaciuos RF in the big leagues).
    Millar's statement should be taken with a grain of salt, he's only trying to create an on air personna with his new show on MLB Intentional Talk, where his role on the show is speak candidly and to call out guys that are struggling or not hussling. My guess is that Drew couldn't care less what he said, and doesn't or hasn't even heard them.

That said, the truth of the matter is his stick has been a huge hole in our lineup this year and for his sake the time is now to get hot or the boo birds will only get louder and mouth pieces like Millar will continue to point out the obvious...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RedSox: best defense in MLB? : Kim, Well said, trust me those in the know, have known, for the last 5 years how valuable his defense in RF has been for the Sox especially at Fenway (Which is one of the more difficult and spaciuos RF in the big leagues). Millar's statement should be taken with a grain of salt, he's only trying to create an on air personna with his new show on MLB Intentional Talk, where his role on the show is speak candidly and to call out guys that are struggling or not hussling. My guess is that Drew couldn't care less what he said, and doesn't or hasn't even heard them. That said, the truth of the matter is his stick has been a huge hole in our lineup this year and for his sake the time is now to get hot or the boo birds will only get louder and mouth pieces like Millar will continue to point out the obvious...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Here is another interesting fact to watch for.  The last three WS victories won by the Yankees and Sox were done so with a combined "team OBP" of 370 or higher for the starting lineups.  We have a very good chance og doing the same thing this season for the first time since those victories.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]I just hope, if there is a discussion about defense, that Drew's name comes up on the top of that list. I really felt bad for him when a beloved player like Kevin Millar called him dead weight. That must have been awful for him. I don't think any player intentionally doesn't do well at the plate, so it was kind of a low blow and, for me at least, unnecessary. There's no one that can play right field like Drew does, or make catches seem effortless that are anything but, like he does. I'm really disappointed Millar went there. People need to understand that offense is not the only part of the game. Run prevention is very similar to creating runs. It doesn't get as much fanfare, but let's give credit where credit is due.

From one Kim with a flower avatar to another (what are the odds, eh? )  I agree.   One of your better posts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RedSox: best defense in MLB? : Kim, Well said, trust me those in the know, have known, for the last 5 years how valuable his defense in RF has been for the Sox especially at Fenway (Which is one of the more difficult and spaciuos RF in the big leagues). Millar's statement should be taken with a grain of salt, he's only trying to create an on air personna with his new show on MLB Intentional Talk, where his role on the show is speak candidly and to call out guys that are struggling or not hussling. My guess is that Drew couldn't care less what he said, and doesn't or hasn't even heard them. That said, the truth of the matter is his stick has been a huge hole in our lineup this year and for his sake the time is now to get hot or the boo birds will only get louder and mouth pieces like Millar will continue to point out the obvious...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Beantown. It just bothers me sometimes that people don't get it. And you have to wonder how much a guy can take. He's been beaten on for a long time. I understand what you're saying about his bat, but he has come through for the Sox in clutch situations, even when he wasn't hitting well. I'm predicting he'll do the same this year. But, unfortunately, people will always point out the negative when his career does come to an end. It's sad to me really.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RedSox: best defense in MLB? : From one Kim with a flower avatar to another (what are the odds, eh? )  I agree.   One of your better posts.  
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Actually, Kim (that does sound weird, like I'm talking to myself lol), I don't think it's that unusual we both have flowers. I just picked the prettiest avatar of the generic ones, and I'm assuming you did the same. But thank you.

And don't worry, I don't think anyone is ever going to start saying we are the same person. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

If that is true, why does he not even 1 GG his entire career?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RedSox: best defense in MLB? : If that is true, why does he not even 1 GG his entire career?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

The same reason Derek Jeter DOES win GGs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

You mean only one person- Ichiro is the reason Drew has no gloves of gold.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

With this caveat. When CC returns, JDD in RF, and Yammie at SS, we'd be real good. Best in the Show? I don't know, but we'd have our moments. Best outfield in the Show, most def. Did you see how well they played in Detroit earlier this season? If run prevention is what it's all about, this group is built for it with the starters and JR as 4th.OF. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Poor JD Drew and his ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS he's been paid.  How he can take getting beaten up for getting called out for being the dead weight that he is I have no idea..........Drew knows he's dead weight.  He checked out this time last year.  He just wants to play out his contract, collect his millions, and go home.  Even the most ardent Drew supports have been ducking for cover for some time now......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE] You mean only one person- Ichiro is the reason Drew has no gloves of gold.
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]

He also played for the Cardinals, Braves and Dodgers in the NL. They give out GG's in that league too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Off the topic, but the Orioles played some ridiculously bad infield defense in that series.  Reynolds now has 20 errors at 3rd base. 

To put that in perspective, Youk has only 39 errors in his pro career, and a few of those came as a utility player in the outfield.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

When you look at the defense, look at the pitching too. Nothing deflates a pitcher more than missed plays and errors. In yesterdays game against the O's, Jerry Remy mentioned the poor pitching and poor defense the O's were playing but never connected the two as being dependent on each other for success. Last year the Sox made over a hundred errors. After 90 games this year we're around 35 or so. Big time improvement this year. A-Gon, (1) error at first base so far and that on a foul ball. Thats really huge.