Remember When you used to hate John Lackey?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Remember When you used to hate John Lackey?

What a fantastic game.

Sometimes bad contracts turn into good contracts, and jerks were just guys that were misunderstood.

At least that is what it feels like right now.

That was one of the most clutch Red Sox starts of all time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: Remember When you used to hate John Lackey?

Don't know about the past. All of his teammates say he's a great guy. Today's game was an absolute gem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

So fun to watch. The guy competes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Never hated Lackey. Wasn't necessarily a fan of the signing because of the cost, but in reality, it was the going price and I always thought he was a good pitcher.

As for 2011, I always felt at the time that he was pitching hurt because he was too good to go that bad. As for the chicken and beer stuff, I still think some of that was overblown. Beyond that, I also knew he was going through some personal stuff -- he admitted as much at one point -- he never had a reputation for being a bad guy.

So I was always willing to give him a second chance, especially once he underwent Tommy John surgery. I felt he was a competitor and because of the way his teammates defended him -- not even whispers about him -- I was always willing to have a wait-and-see attitude. From the first look at him at the beginning of spring, I've become even more of a fan of his. I always loved his competitive attitude even if things got away from him in 2011.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is a bad contract... this is the dorst season he has produced properly with us. Great. Why not be happy about it, bu don't bring up the contract... it is not good.

[/QUOTE]

The contract is horrible.

If they win a WS this year and he pitches like that again it was worth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa 

TY for posting this .

WOW!  TO the Sox and Mr.  Lackey

and a big Calzone salute  to NAPOLI..he delivered the pizza tonite!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

Man this board has issues, I cannot even edit my post that had several grammatical typos.... It is actually painful to participate here.

Anyhow I meant to ad .... "no doubt Lackey entered 2013 more determined than ever. Very good year for him."

[/QUOTE]

And yeah this board blowws.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

Man this board has issues, I cannot even edit my post that had several grammatical typos.... It is actually painful to participate here.

Anyhow I meant to ad .... "no doubt Lackey entered 2013 more determined than ever. Very good year for him."

[/QUOTE]

I contacted them B. theyre working on it....still and again. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Never hated him. Definitely was disappointed in him in the past but redemption's here.  A terrific, gutsy performance by Lackey, Tazawa and Uehara! Let's hope for a repeat performance from Peavy tomorrow.  Kudoes to the strikeout man Napoli who connected when it counted.  Go Red Sox!

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

J-BAY you think they have some sort of reset button? These issues started in earnest about 15 months ago....

[/QUOTE]

They used an off site company  =for the forums, B. They decided to tske it back for "more control". They implemented an upgrade recently, that cause more issues. Dont give up just yet B. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I always liked Lackey but thought like many others that he was overpaid.  I was also optimistic that he would have a good season this year after the tommy john surgery and he definitely had a great season.  What a great game by him and the entire Red Sox team today.  I am also hoping that the Dodgers win tonight. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I remember what Lackey did to us as an Angel...I was happy to have him and even hapier he has worked his tail off to get where he is...

Hating a guy on your own team? He has to be a serious meathead for that to happen (cue Josh Beckett)

Lackey was never in that league

Having said that I still am not comfortable with him starting a game 7 if it goes down to that...but maybe Detroit is some demoralized being behind now that they will fold 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I admit I was a John Lackey hater. I thought he was a big part of what was wrong in the clubhouse. I am so glad I wrong.

Go Lackey and Go Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

It is a bad contract... this is the dorst season he has produced properly with us. Great. Why not be happy about it, bu don't bring up the contract... it is not good.

[/QUOTE]

He took one for the team in 2011 pitching with a bum elbow because the Sox couldn't find another pitcher.  I think the vet min team option makes his deal a little more palettable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"They used an off site company  =for the forums, B. They decided to tske it back for "more control". "

I will always believe the decision to pull the forums in house was for monetary reasons which I completely understand. But the "more control" thing doesn't make a lot of sense as a reason, whereas budget issues would explaint the bare bones experience and the challenges upgrading functionality. I still enjoy the board to don't mean this in any way but just - we live in a real world where providing free forums is not easy economically. 

As for Lackey, I see it as less that he was misunderstood - I see it as a redemption story. He set his mind to get in shape and work on his game, he worked his butt off and I admire the heck out of him right now. 

CONGRATULATIONS JOHN LACKEY

No matter what happens, I will never forget him out-dueling Verlander. What a gutty performance. I tip my hat. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yeah, I've been down on Lackey, this season is the first time he's done well since he came on board years ago.  Didn't want him going potentially twice in this series either because he wasn't pitching so well lately.  But he was great tonight!  Wonderful surprise!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember what Lackey did to us as an Angel...I was happy to have him and even hapier he has worked his tail off to get where he is...

Hating a guy on your own team? He has to be a serious meathead for that to happen (cue Josh Beckett)

Having said that I still am not comfortable with him starting a game 7 if it goes down to that...but maybe Detroit is some demoralized being behind now that they will fold 

[/QUOTE]

I would not put Buicholtz or Peavy for game 7.  LAckey is a better choice for game 7.  But let not hope we have game 7.  Hopefully Boston just sort of finding a way to win the next two games in Detriot!!

Go Boston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ease up on Josh Beckett a bit please...

Never forget how he single-handedly blew away the dreaded Yanks in '03,  and...

his 4 - 0 record with a 1.50 era in the post season in '07 that lead to....................???

BTW,  I believe he also was 20 - 7 in the regular season in '07.  Not too shabby.

He deserves better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would not put Buicholtz or Peavy for game 7.  LAckey is a better choice for game 7.  But let not hope we have game 7.  Hopefully Boston just sort of finding a way to win the next two games in Detriot!!

Go Boston.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, Lacky's bull dog mentality makes him a good choice for game 7 against Verlander, although hoping Sox can pull the series off before game 7.

Peavy is another bull dog.  He just may not have the pitches to compete with Verlander, although he may be OK.

Lester can also pitch well.  Bucholz has the pitches, but is a bit soft/fragile.

Was good that Farrell swithced Lackey and Bucholz, and they both ended up as winners.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ease up on Josh Beckett a bit please...

Never forget how he single-handedly blew away the dreaded Yanks in '03,  and...

his 4 - 0 record with a 1.50 era in the post season in '07 that lead to....................???

BTW,  I believe he also was 20 - 7 in the regular season in '07.  Not too shabby.

He deserves better.

[/QUOTE]

Beckett was just great in 07.  He won the WS for Sox.

I think this year it is going to be Lester and Lackey.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I was a Lackey supporter from day one... had some great fangraphs numbers his first year

Softy on the other hand...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What a hateful loser