Remember When you used to hate John Lackey?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Re: Remember When you used to hate John Lackey?

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember what Lackey did to us as an Angel...I was happy to have him and even hapier he has worked his tail off to get where he is...

Hating a guy on your own team? He has to be a serious meathead for that to happen (cue Josh Beckett)

Lackey was never in that league

Having said that I still am not comfortable with him starting a game 7 if it goes down to that...but maybe Detroit is some demoralized being behind now that they will fold 

[/QUOTE]

Ease up on Josh Beckett a bit please...

Never forget how he single-handedly blew away the dreaded Yanks in '03,  and...

his 4 - 0 record with a 1.50 era in the post season in '07 that lead to....................???

BTW,  I believe he also was 20 - 7 in the regular season in '07.  Not too shabby.

He deserves better.

[/QUOTE]

What Lackey has proved is that when you fix the real problem (injury and pain), then a quality pitcher can regain his form.

I hope Beckett will get the same opportunity. (Hint: injuries make it tough to maintain peak fitness. And gaining a few pounds don't make your fastball go from 95 to 89.)

-Daf.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

when he was a fat and out of shape. his  injury at the time didn't help.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

What a fantastic game.

Sometimes bad contracts turn into good contracts, and jerks were just guys that were misunderstood.

At least that is what it feels like right now.

That was one of the most clutch Red Sox starts of all time.

[/QUOTE]

Yup. Game ball goes to Lackey. Great work! Tell you what: I do not want to face Verlander again in this series.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

[QUOTE]

What a fantastic game.

Sometimes bad contracts turn into good contracts, and jerks were just guys that were misunderstood.

[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I remeber hating Lackey all too well.  Now Theo's inscincts are paying big dividends.  This is a classic ALCS!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I remember it well.  He has turned himself around this year!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

He wasn't too happy about being pulled.I think that's a GREAT thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

What a fantastic game.

[/QUOTE]

yup.  i was lackey's #1 "hater".  i am happy to admit that he (of course) has changed my views of him.  not only with today's start, but with the shape he showed up in spring, the attitude he's had all year, the quality of starts throughout the season, staying healthy. 

the biggest start of the season and he came through like a BOSS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

J-BAY you think they have some sort of reset button? These issues started in earnest about 15 months ago....

[/QUOTE]

They used an off site company  =for the forums, B. They decided to tske it back for "more control". They implemented an upgrade recently, that cause more issues. Dont give up just yet B. 

[/QUOTE]

Addicts don't give up, but without a flow of new blood and the slow die-off of good posters the forum is actually already dead. Can it be resurrected? I don't know.

[/QUOTE]

I've posted on here for years.

I keep posting out of habit but this board is horrible. It takes them 4 days and counting to fix a simple problem?

Amazing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Timely OP because yes I do remember.  Of course he had already redeemed himself this year with the second lowest ERA among the starters and despite getting little run support.  So last night he figured it out.  Allow no runs and hope the Sox score one.  Sterling performance. 

And, again for the record, I absolutely did not expect Lackey to be that great last night and did expect Verlander and the Tiger to beat him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Like most, I wasnt thrilled with the signing knowing full well from his prior 2-3 years that all the signs were there for lackey to encounter some arm issues, hence the protection clause.

Unlike some people here who have weird obsessions with certain Sox players, I dont know them personally, so I dont like or dislike them. I dont judge them from their paycheck, thats on the FO. Its all about performance and baseball related stuff for me.

Im just glad to see his personal problems and his arm issues are behind him now. It had to have been very tough on him going through all that at once. I could care less about the beer & chicken BS. Completely overblown by the rabid Boston media looking to throw blame all over the place.

Hes finally performing like the Lackey of old and the Sox are benefitting from it, so Im thrilled.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

From the moment he walked into ST several years ago, I hated the guy.  I was a relentless basher throughout that first year when they ran out Beckett, Lester, & Lackey as the "Three Horsemen."  All showing up to ST out of shape & cocky to boot.  It was a disaster!   I grew to hate him with a white hot passion, only to be surpassed by my growing hatred of Beckett.  I thought the two were ruining Lester, Buck & the rest of the team.  That still may be true.

When he came back to ST in the shape of his life, I reluctantly decided to give him one last shot.  I was reluctantly hopeful, but didn't expect much from him none the less.

WOW!  This guy is the pitching story of the year for the sox!  GOOD ON HIM!!!!  :)  It now seems he has become what was originally promised.  It also seems clear that his mythical injury was for real. 

This was the game of his life!  One of the great pitching matchups in Red Sox history!  Total REDEMPTION!  

Mea culpa!  Way to be LACK  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I thought Lackey was a good consolation prize after the Sox lost out on Teixeira.  He was the best pitcher on the market, he pitched well with the Angels and won a WS, and he was young-ish with some good years left.  Can't say I was crazy about the contract but, hey, it ain't my money and if you have to overpay, a decent pitcher isn't a bad way to go. 

Let's face it, on the way to finally becoming the pitcher we've been waiting on he had a wife with cancer, a divorce, a major injury, some pretty lousy teammates and probably the worst manager ever in Valentine.  Has he lived up to his contract?  Ehm, likely no.  But he's delivered this year and while I hate to say he gets a Mulligan I'd say yesterday makes me re-think how I feel about him.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I entered the season high on Jon Lester, John Lackey and Ryan Dempster but down on Clay Buchholz and Felix Doubront. Shows you how much -- and how little -- I know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember what Lackey did to us as an Angel...I was happy to have him and even hapier he has worked his tail off to get where he is...

Hating a guy on your own team? He has to be a serious meathead for that to happen (cue Josh Beckett)

Lackey was never in that league

Having said that I still am not comfortable with him starting a game 7 if it goes down to that...but maybe Detroit is some demoralized being behind now that they will fold 

[/QUOTE]

I would not put Buicholtz or Peavy for game 7.  LAckey is a better choice for game 7.  But let not hope we have game 7.  Hopefully Boston just sort of finding a way to win the next two games in Detriot!!

Go Boston.

[/QUOTE]

having a losing record is not fatal, being a quitting, whining, drunk with no sense of teamwork is another....this is post 2010 Beckett were talking about, not 2007....sorry but he doesnt get a lifetime pass for me

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I remember getting bashed for supporting the Lackey deal yet for bashing the JD Drew, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett deals........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember getting bashed for supporting the Lackey deal yet for bashing the JD Drew, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett deals........

[/QUOTE]

Here's a special cookie?