Reyes/Beltran - What would you give up for half a season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Reyes/Beltran - What would you give up for half a season?

As all who follow baseball know, the Mets are in dire financial straits. Both Reyes and Beltran are in walk years and the popular wisdom is the Mets will sign neither of them as FA's. To make it worse for them, Beltran cannot be offered arbitration(contractual), so they dont even get draft picks for him. They do however both happen to play the positions where the Sox are weakest(SS and RF) and are both Switch hitters. Together they make 30mm, so a half year salary would cost the Sox and save the Mets 15mm.....a big incentive for the Mets....and of course would lower what they get for them in terms of prospects....so forgetting the flotsam on out major league roster....who woudl you surrender, assuming they are rent a players(though Reyes may be a keeper)....Iglesias.....Ranaudo....Kalish....Doubront....Navarro?....Personally other than Ranaudo....I would give them any combo of the above....especially if you could sign Reyes....Iglesias and Navarro would be blocked at the ML level.....What say the forum?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Reyes/Beltran - What would you give up for half a season?

The only way Reyes is a keeper is if they dole out 6 years and upwards of 20 million per.  That money would be better used on a good pitcher.  And I wouldn't give up any of the kids you mention in your post.  SS is going to be fine in the coming years.  As for Beltran, he would be a redundancy, and a downgrade at any OF position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Reyes/Beltran - What would you give up for half a season?:
    [QUOTE]As all who follow baseball know, the Mets are in dire financial straits. Both Reyes and Beltran are in walk years and the popular wisdom is the Mets will sign neither of them as FA's. To make it worse for them, Beltran cannot be offered arbitration(contractual), so they dont even get draft picks for him. They do however both happen to play the positions where the Sox are weakest(SS and RF) and are both Switch hitters. Together they make 30mm, so a half year salary would cost the Sox and save the Mets 15mm.....a big incentive for the Mets....and of course would lower what they get for them in terms of prospects....so forgetting the flotsam on out major league roster....who woudl you surrender, assuming they are rent a players(though Reyes may be a keeper)....Iglesias.....Ranaudo....Kalish....Doubront....Navarro?....Personally other than Ranaudo....I would give them any combo of the above....especially if you could sign Reyes....Iglesias and Navarro would be blocked at the ML level.....What say the forum?
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Nothing for half a season our prospects are worth keeping and as long as Scutaro, Lowrie and Iglesias are here we don't need Reyes.  I hope the Yanks don't get him at some point but think they will.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

frank and babe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Beltran is a huge upgrade over Drew/Cameron/Mcdonald in RF and is a switchhitter which makes him even more valuable. I do somewhat agree that signing Reyes might not be the best business decision, but for a low prospect cost, he would be an interesting rental....if Iglesias is the SS of the future and Lowrie is also going to fill on a role on the team....Navarro is surplus, as is someone like Lars Anderson....and Reddick......so I would go for it and see what it would take with the Mets. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Would not do it. Beltran may go down any moment with injuries and I do not see him as a significant upgrade for OF. Reyes would be at best a half season rental, he is injury prone, as well. Just would not give up "The Kids" for these two.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Reyes/Beltran - What would you give up for half a season?:
    [QUOTE]Beltran is a huge upgrade over Drew/Cameron/Mcdonald in RF and is a switchhitter which makes him even more valuable. I do somewhat agree that signing Reyes might not be the best business decision, but for a low prospect cost, he would be an interesting rental....if Iglesias is the SS of the future and Lowrie is also going to fill on a role on the team....Navarro is surplus, as is someone like Lars Anderson....and Reddick......so I would go for it and see what it would take with the Mets. 
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Beltran is an upgrade in the short term, yes.  But given the prospect(s) it would take to get that rental, that upgrade, I think, is neutralized.  If they could get him for a low prospect, sure, why not.  But I don't think the Mets are dealing him for a low prospect.  And, given his age, injury risk, current bloated salary, and agent, no way he is worth re-signing.  I'll take the Kalish/Reddick competition champion thank you.  I

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Beltran is a huge upgrade over Drew/Cameron/Mcdonald in RF and is a switchhitter which makes him even more valuable. I do somewhat agree that signing Reyes might not be the best business decision, but for a low prospect cost, he would be an interesting rental....if Iglesias is the SS of the future and Lowrie is also going to fill on a role on the team....Navarro is surplus, as is someone like Lars Anderson....and Reddick......so I would go for it and see what it would take with the Mets. 
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

At this point anyone is better than Drew and Cam in RF but we hopefully still have one more J.D. hitting streak to go through before we say goodbye to both players.  Lets hope they can both hit when it counts most.  I don't see Reyes or Beltran in a Sox uniform.  Reyes will probably get a huge offer from the Yanks and Beltran will learn what hes really worth at this point of his career.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

This is so not gonna happen. For all the right reasons.

For whatever BOS would have to give up, it would not make sense for a rental like Reyes  And no offense, but there is no need to stick a fork in Beltran's career to see if it's done, because it is. 

The offense seems to be chugging along and can carry a few underachievers/newbies quite easily.  Which means Sutton, McDonald, and the like can play very nicely, thank you, until Crawford and Lowrie heal.  Salty, btw, has matured nicely.  And Miller can be a nice sub at SP until Buch comes back. After that, who knows?

But the Red Sox are in first place in the AL East with the best record in the AL overall and the second-best record in baseball.  BOS seems to have impressive depth and balance.  No need to panic. 

A-Gon in RF and Reyes in a BOS uniform are more or less the offshoots of a slow day in the newsroom.  We should consider ourselves blessed.

Here endeth the lesson.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

for beltran, i would give up drew, cameron and mcdonald.
    however, i don't think even the METS are that stupid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

LOL...I love these posts. Why do you think the mets would trade reyes for a "low prospect cost"? Contrary to popular belief around here, other teams (except maybe the padres) are not trying to help the red flops.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotironskillet. Show hotironskillet's posts

I wouldn't give up anything. Scutaro with a platoon of Drew/Navarro (while Lowrie is on the DL) is sufficient for this year. Iglesias next year who, although he'll never be a great hitter, can handle defense perfectly and the hitting will come with time. No need for Reyes.

Beltran, I have no opinion on but he seems injury prone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

DUSTIN PEDROIA

YOU COULD JUST MOVE SCUTARO OVER TO SECOND FOR REYES