RF = Sweeney / Linares

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

RF = Sweeney / Linares

The bad news is that Sweeney really hasn't hit LHP, the good news is shouldn't have to.

For his career, he has hit RHP (when park adjusted) at ~ league average for a RF.  Because his fielding is well above average, RF is his for the 120 games or so that a RHP starts (barring injury or Kalish explodes).  He also is supposedly good enough to play CF, which provides needed flexibility.

I'd go with Linares over DMac.  Hopefully we are only talking 40 or so starts.  DMac hits LHP enough but he is not a good fielder.  Linares is said to be above average on D and he is in house.

I'd prefer Andruw Jones but he is back with the EE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Re: RF = Sweeney / Linares

Linares stinks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

It will be Aviles or Spillborough (sp) from Colorado.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Who the hell is Linares?  If youre talking about that one of the famous Cuban guy, he is about the same age as mine!!!

Anyway, I just looked him up.  No way he is ready to move up from the AAA level. He is now hitting .111 in the Arizona Winter league. 

He is not ready or maybe not talent enough to play in the major league level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: RF = Sweeney / Linares:
    [QUOTE]It will be Aviles or Spillborough (sp) from Colorado.
    Posted by NegativeTrollsAbound[/QUOTE]

Lou Merloni was on boston comcast sportsnet last night NTB discussing Kalish's surgery/RF. said it will be a platoon of Sweeney/Aviles (who has been playing right field in a winter league) and DMac, if hes still with the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

I agree with Merloni. I just think that players rumored in the laser to the Sox in trades (like Bailey) might wind up here for Ben will know what guys to give up while Theo would rather keep. Spillborghs has been rumored for a while and Garza, etc. We'll see.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

DMac is still with teh team and is pre-arb, and so will make about what he made last year ($470K). He hits LHPs pretty well (over .800 OPS), but is a horrible RF'er, below average CF'er, and OK LF'er. He will probably be our 4th OF'er in 2012 with Aviles perhaps platooning with Sweeney in RF. I hope we don't see DMac in RF much in 2012.

I do think Linares could win a spot on the 2012 roster. He will turn 28 in September. He was pretty good in Cuba and looked good in ST before his injury. I think he'll really have to shine to beat out DMac.

Other long shots:
    ** Bryce Brentz (turned 23 today) had 30 HRs in single A this year. Plays RF and had a "plus arm". Bats RH'd.
    ** Brandon Jacobs (just turned 21) Played single A. Plays LF poorly.
    ** Jackie Bradley Jr. (will turn 22 in April) bats LH'd. Played single A in 2011 and is supposedly a very good fielder (CF).
    ** Alex Hassan (will be 24 in April) had 15 Hrs in about 540 ABs last year in AA and the Fall league combined. However, he plays LF not RF. (RH'd)

These guys might not even get a ST invite.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Anyway, I just looked him up.  No way he is ready to move up from the AAA level. He is now hitting .111 in the Arizona Winter league."

Nice research.  He's now hitting nothing because that league's season has already ended.  Oh yeah, and he played 4 games!!  Nice sample size.  Definitely enough to make an informed opinion like yours.  By the way, he played in that same league last offseason and hit .397 over 17 games.  I guess if you looked him up then you would have called him a potential superstar.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SysRq. Show SysRq's posts

It's hard to believe that a $170MM+ team would use a platoon of Sweeney and DMac as their regular RF approach.  There are better options that are still affordable.  Marlon Byrd of the Cubs is one option...Sox could wipe the Theo slate clean with the Cubs, offer $3.5M (his last-year 2012 salary is $6.5M) and throw in a second-tier player...Cubs would save $3.5M on player too old to rebuild around, pick up a young servicable piece (Bowden or similar) and be done with the Theo thing.  At 34 Byrd can still play, has decent stats and has experience at all three outfield positions.  At $3.5M he'd make sense for a year.  Sweeney could be the 4th OFer or part of a package for a starting pitcher.

Not a bad approach while waiting for Ethier to hit FA next year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I liked Byrd when he was in Texas. He always seemed to do well against the Red Sox.  He was healthy at the end of last year so it would seem that he will be healthy again this spring.

Even at 34 he would seem to be an upgrade over both Sweeney and McDonald.

Perhaps just make him the repayment for Theo if the Cubs pay half of his salary?  That way the Cubs clear some money and the Red Sox do not give up any players for a starting RF who should be appreciably better than the bunch of guys who played RF last year for them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsportsfan228. Show bostonsportsfan228's posts

Linares played in single a in 2010 and barely hit, he played in Portland that same year..and couldn't hit...he played in Pawtucket last year and couldn't hit...he had a good fall season last year.  Besides that he has shown zero ability to hit at a MLB level.  If anything his defense makes him a viable option off the bench.

He would have to really really really shine at ST to get the chance, and even then I think he might still start the season in Pawtucket and continue to do well to get a chance in Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Linares?  I encourage out of the box thinking, but he is 27, and has 121 ABs in the minor leagues with terrible stats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You guys are judging Linares on 128 minor league PAs?

He played 3 years in Cuba and hit:
    2007: .345 (.467/.586-- OBP/Slg%)
    2008: .308 (.438/.536)
    2009: .325 (.430/.588)

Here's an article I found...

ORLANDO — Juan Carlos Linares is 26, so it's not really fair to call him a prospect. He played three seasons in the Cuban League for La Habana before defecting and signing with the Red Sox last summer.

Linares played in 17 minor league games, getting 61 at-bats before the season ended. So the Sox shipped him to the Arizona Fall League.

In 68 at-bats, he is hitting .397/.423/.662 with 11 extra-base hits and 14 RBIs. Yes, small sample. But nonetheless, those stats make you stop and look again.

“He has really opened some eyes,” Theo Epstein said. “Great tools and it looks like he’s really going to hit. … He was centering everything, showing significant opposite-field power, puling the ball with authority as well and playing all three outfield positions and getting really good jumps. He was impressive and definitely an interesting guy.”

In the interest of getting a second opinion, I texted a scout who has been watching games in Arizona. He sent back two words:

"He rakes."

So there's that. Linares will certainly get a long look in spring training and he could be somebody who puts himself into position to help the Sox in the event of injury. It will be interesting to see where the Sox start him next season. Given his age, it's a fair bet to say they could push him to see what they have.

Or, read this...

http://news.soxprospects.com/2011/03/2011-prospect-previews-juan-carlos.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]You guys are judging Linares on 128 minor league PAs? He played 3 years in Cuba and hit: 2007: .345 (.467/.586-- OBP/Slg%) 2008: .308 (.438/.536) 2009: .325 (.430/.588) Here's an article I found... ORLANDO — Juan Carlos Linares is 26, so it's not really fair to call him a prospect. He played three seasons in the Cuban League for La Habana before defecting and signing with the Red Sox last summer. Linares played in 17 minor league games, getting 61 at-bats before the season ended. So the Sox shipped him to the Arizona Fall League. In 68 at-bats, he is hitting .397/.423/.662 with 11 extra-base hits and 14 RBIs. Yes, small sample. But nonetheless, those stats make you stop and look again. “He has really opened some eyes,” Theo Epstein said. “Great tools and it looks like he’s really going to hit. … He was centering everything, showing significant opposite-field power, puling the ball with authority as well and playing all three outfield positions and getting really good jumps. He was impressive and definitely an interesting guy.” In the interest of getting a second opinion, I texted a scout who has been watching games in Arizona. He sent back two words: "He rakes." So there's that. Linares will certainly get a long look in spring training and he could be somebody who puts himself into position to help the Sox in the event of injury. It will be interesting to see where the Sox start him next season. Given his age, it's a fair bet to say they could push him to see what they have.   Or, read this... http://news.soxprospects.com/2011/03/2011-prospect-previews-juan-carlos.html
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think the 128 cuts both ways.  The OP wants Linares to platoon with Sweeney.  If 128 is too low to judge an unknown on, I assume it is also too low to annoint him as our RF.  The 128 is used to say, 'we know nothing about him, but what we do know is negative'.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF = Sweeney / Linares : I think the 128 cuts both ways.  The OP wants Linares to platoon with Sweeney.  If 128 is too low to judge an unknown on, I assume it is also too low to annoint him as our RF.  The 128 is used to say, 'we know nothing about him, but what we do know is negative'.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

So, you are assuming 128 PA minor league ball is a better indicator than the Cuban league numbers?

Plus, in 27 PAs in ST 2011, he hit .320 and had an .890 OPS.

Look, I'm not annointing Linares our RF platoon guy, but I do think he could win the job in ST.

I'm not abig fan of DMac playing in RF, but he will give us an .800 or so OPS vs LHPs. That's a lot better than our RF'er had for an overall OPS in 2011.

I'd love to get Cody Ross, but I think the remaining money should be spent on pitching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I saw quite a bit of Linares in ST and was not impressed in spite of his numbers. He has a lot of holes in his swing and will chase. Expect lots of K's and few BB's. I thought he also could play CF very well in Fenway, but question his arm strength for RF. I do question his Cubanleague stats as for a player at his age, I would have thought he would be far more advanced at the plate. His 128 PA's are a small sample size, and in spite of Arizona League numbers (useless stats according to many) it is enough PA's to show numerous issues at the plate. If he was 20-21 years old I would say give him 600-800 PA's and see how he progresses. To me he is org filler and the Sox seem to be invested in the Aviles experiment, and also feel Sweeney is superior enough defensively to carry whatever offense he brings. I am thinking that Kalish needs at least 100-200 PA's in AAA before any decisions will be made on him, making June optimistic for him to see Boston.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Thanks rkarp   Saw Linares play for the Sea Dogs and thought from his Cuban baseball history and within Red Sox organization Linares might be ready to at least platoon.  In fans minds, imagine he is competing with Darnell and maybe Mike Aviles to platoon with Matt Sweeney and Ryan Kalish, when Ryan is ready.  Wondering from your observation at ST, if any other RH hitting outfielders impressed you?  Maybe the Red Sox need to bite the bullet and trade for or sign a FA RH hitting outfielder who can at least platoon in RF.  Most of those still available seemed to have been signed and I thought this might be a good opportunity to, since Sweeney has a good defensive reputation, to also look at Linares during ST and the early part of the season until Ryan Kalish is ready. Again, the Red Sox could have a situation with 4 leftanded hitting outfielders at the top of the team's depth chart and at least, this might be a good time to see if anyone else in the organization, such as Ryan Lavarnway could play LF or RF, and fill that role?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Sweeny and whoever will be just fine they say sweeney is an above the average defender and that is what we need.  He may hit better in this lineup as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxnutinMn. Show SoxnutinMn's posts

[QUOTE]Linares stinks.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

wow, you don't don't know anything about the Sox do you?  He is a very talented player.  A good right handed bat and a pretty good defensive player as well.  Not all-star, but this kid can play.  I love when guys like you make yourself look foolish by making an ignorant comment like you did.  I have a feeling this isn't the first time either.  Way to go

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxnutinMn. Show SoxnutinMn's posts

Nice job man!!   Now see, you know the game.  Refreshing.  Guys that get critical of players because they have either not heard of them, or it's not a big enough name for them look like idiots.   I was very impressed with this kid last spring.  Happy New Year Siesta!

[QUOTE]"Anyway, I just looked him up.  No way he is ready to move up from the AAA level. He is now hitting .111 in the Arizona Winter league." Nice research.  He's now hitting nothing because that league's season has already ended.  Oh yeah, and he played 4 games!!  Nice sample size.  Definitely enough to make an informed opinion like yours.  By the way, he played in that same league last offseason and hit .397 over 17 games.  I guess if you looked him up then you would have called him a potential superstar.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxnutinMn. Show SoxnutinMn's posts

Good to see we have Sox scouts who follow this discussion. 

[QUOTE]I saw quite a bit of Linares in ST and was not impressed in spite of his numbers. He has a lot of holes in his swing and will chase. Expect lots of K's and few BB's. I thought he also could play CF very well in Fenway, but question his arm strength for RF. I do question his Cubanleague stats as for a player at his age, I would have thought he would be far more advanced at the plate. His 128 PA's are a small sample size, and in spite of Arizona League numbers (useless stats according to many) it is enough PA's to show numerous issues at the plate. If he was 20-21 years old I would say give him 600-800 PA's and see how he progresses. To me he is org filler and the Sox seem to be invested in the Aviles experiment, and also feel Sweeney is superior enough defensively to carry whatever offense he brings. I am thinking that Kalish needs at least 100-200 PA's in AAA before any decisions will be made on him, making June optimistic for him to see Boston.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I would be happy with a RFer that can stay on the field.  The last few years dealing with injury prone RFers has left a bad taste in my mouth.  Sweeney can play we all know that and maybe Linares could make a go of it with a decent hitting coach and more talent around him.  I for 1 am not worried about the offense on this team, we need pitching and a defense that will stay solid behind them.  I think Sweeney and Linares or kalish (july?) will be ok. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

You were impressed? Who cares?
    Look at Linares record. He stinks! End of story, clownboy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF = Sweeney / Linares : So, you are assuming 128 PA minor league ball is a better indicator than the Cuban league numbers? Plus, in 27 PAs in ST 2011, he hit .320 and had an .890 OPS. Look, I'm not annointing Linares our RF platoon guy, but I do think he could win the job in ST. I'm not abig fan of DMac playing in RF, but he will give us an .800 or so OPS vs LHPs. That's a lot better than our RF'er had for an overall OPS in 2011. I'd love to get Cody Ross, but I think the remaining money should be spent on pitching.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

He also had an 8/2 K/W in 25 ST ABs.  If we're going limited sample size, that projects to 192/48 over 600 ABs, and that's against pitchers that include minor league pitchers up for a cup of coffee.  Add to that the 27/5 K/W in the minors, against pitchers way younger than him, and there is little so far to impress.  RS Prospects has him ranked #50.

Certainly invite him to ST.  I'd love to see a .300 RH alternative out there.  But I also know the penchent on this board to exaggerate minor league players.  Once upon a time, people were screaming for Bailey and Carter to be playing everyday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RF = Sweeney / Linares : He also had an 8/2 K/W in 25 ST ABs.  If we're going limited sample size, that projects to 192/48 over 600 ABs, and that's against pitchers that include minor league pitchers up for a cup of coffee.  Add to that the 27/5 K/W in the minors, against pitchers way younger than him, and there is little so far to impress.  RS Prospects has him ranked #50. Certainly invite him to ST.  I'd love to see a .300 RH alternative out there.  But I also know the penchent on this board to exaggerate minor league players.  Once upon a time, people were screaming for Bailey and Carter to be playing everyday.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

All I said was that he has a chance to win the job. Since DMac is such a horrible fielding RF'er with a barely decent .800 OPS vs LHPs, almost anything is possible.
    Linares is a big unknown. DMac is a known. Aviles will probably get the RF action vs LHPs and DMac, if he makes the 25 man, will get the back-up duty in LF & CF or in case of injury and OF duty.
    I doubt we spend money or prospects to get a better OF'er, but we may do something minor to get a Rh'd guy like DMac but who can fiedl a decent RF.