Rockies interested in Napoli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Rockies interested in Napoli

Rockies expressing interest in Mike Napoli

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have expressed interest in free agent Mike Napoli.

The Rockies have also contacted fellow free agent first basemen James Loney and Justin Morneau in their search for a Todd Helton replacement. Napoli batted .259/.360/.482 with 23 home runs and 92 RBI in 139 games this past season for the World Series-champion Red Sox and would likely flourish at Colorado's Coors Field. He rejected a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer earlier this month from Boston, so signing him requires the forfeiture of a top draft pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Rockies interested in Napoli

IMHO, he would have a serious chance at 40HR in that park.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]Rockies expressing interest in Mike Napoli

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have expressed interest in free agent Mike Napoli.

The Rockies have also contacted fellow free agent first basemen James Loney and Justin Morneau in their search for a Todd Helton replacement. Napoli batted .259/.360/.482 with 23 home runs and 92 RBI in 139 games this past season for the World Series-champion Red Sox and would likely flourish at Colorado's Coors Field. He rejected a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer earlier this month from Boston, so signing him requires the forfeiture of a top draft pick.[/QUOTE]

In that thin air Naps could really let it fly...... I mean like strikeing out in wiffle ball...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Sox made Napoli an offer, but it was a one year offer hgher than the original QU.

Their efforts to re-sign their own players are token, at best...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not with the number of times he fails to make contact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If the Sox do not re-sign any of their own free agents, then they need to do something to compensate so the team does not take a step backward. Just saying that they don't want to spend the money or give out long contracts is not good enough. Will the fans be satisfied with the club trying to save money , while acquiring draft choices who may or may not develop into quality major league players in five years time ?  I don't think so. Some people may be fascinated with the small market system, but the Red Sox are not a small market .  We are the World Series champions. That should be the goal every year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Sox do not re-sign any of their own free agents, then they need to do something to compensate so the team does not take a step backward. Just saying that they don't want to spend the money or give out long contracts is not good enough. Will the fans be satisfied with the club trying to save money , while acquiring draft choices who may or may not develop into quality major league players in five years time ?  I don't think so. Some people may be fascinated with the small market system, but the Red Sox are not a small market .  We are the World Series champions. That should be the goal every year.

[/QUOTE]

Ben C has some serious rope with me and, I would assume, most fans in general.

Drew is a nice player, Salty is a nice player, Nap is a nice player and Ells is an all-star.  The only one out of the group who would be seriously missed is Ells.

Would this lineup be that bad:

1) Victorino, RF

2) Pedroia, 2B

3) Ortiz, DH

4) Nava, 1B

5) Bogaerts, SS 

6) Middlebrooks, 3B

7) Gomes, LF

8) Ross/Lavarnway, C

9) Bradley, Jr. , CF

???

If healthy, I think that they would still be a top-3 AL run producing team.

If all 4 FA signed elsewhere, you can probably count on Ruiz at C and either Beltran or a MAJOR trade to go down.  There is no way that the Sox will not have someone replace Naps power bat in the lineup.

I think that one (or more) of the Drew/Naps/Salty trio comes back to Boston.  The fact that Drew and Naps were tendered QO's is going to be an albatross on each of their necks.  It is really a triple negative: (1) The new team has to pay the player a large salary and multiple years (2) The new team loses their 1st or high 2nd round pick AND (3) The new team loses the corresponding $$$ associated with the lost pick's slot in the draft.  Is someone going like Nap AND Drew that much?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

1) Victorino, RF

2) Pedroia, 2B

3) Ortiz, DH

4) Nava, 1B--------------no protection for Papi

5) Bogaerts, SS 

6) Middlebrooks, 3B-----he would need to bat 4th for power, not sure if he could handle it

7) Gomes, LF---not a full time player

8) Ross/Lavarnway, C----------Lav is horrible defensively

9) Bradley, Jr. , CF----iffy bat might not be ready

Not a bad line up....but missing that other power bat to protect papi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In my not so humble opinion, he would not have a serious chance at another World Series ring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that it's only November 14th?  By the time New Year's comes round,  folks will be complaining about the absurd money they threw at some FA. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm getting very irritated thinking that we are not going to resign even one of our free agents and to me that spells trouble.  There is no reason to low-ball Napoli and not sign him.  It further irritates me that we may instead sign players to take their places who are inferior to the ones we lose.  We've done this before in the past......Damon gone for Crisp, an inferior replacement; Bay for Cameron, a total inferior replacement and now this.  If the front office thinks we are satisfied now they are right; we are.  However, if they replace these fine ballplayers with ones that don't fit into the Red Sox mold or have trouble competing in the tension ridden Boston atmosphere there will be a lot of us who will be thoroughly pu##ed off.

Cherington must resign Napoli and give protection  to Papi in the lineup;  the idea of Nava on first is ridiculous.  He is part of a platoon with Gomes in LF, a solid platoon.  Wake up Ben.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Drew is a nice player, Salty is a nice player, Nap is a nice player and Ells is an all-star.  The only one out of the group who would be seriously missed is Ells.

1) Victorino, RF

2) Pedroia, 2B

3) Ortiz, DH

4) Nava, 1B

5) Bogaerts, SS 

6) Middlebrooks, 3B

7) Gomes, LF

8) Ross/Lavarnway, C

9) Bradley, Jr. , CF

???

If all 4 FA signed elsewhere, you can probably count on Ruiz at C and either Beltran or a MAJOR trade to go down.  There is no way that the Sox will not have someone replace Naps power bat in the lineup.

I think that one (or more) of the Drew/Naps/Salty trio comes back to Boston.  The fact that Drew and Naps were tendered QO's is going to be an albatross on each of their necks.  It is really a triple negative: (1) The new team has to pay the player a large salary and multiple years (2) The new team loses their 1st or high 2nd round pick AND (3) The new team loses the corresponding $$$ associated with the lost pick's slot in the draft.  Is someone going like Nap AND Drew that much?

[/QUOTE]

Nava batting cleanup and playing first base?  Please my friend, put the crack pipe down.  This is not a winning lineup whatsoever.  Gomes is best served by hitting against mostly lefthanders and I still wonder if Bradley will be able to hit ML pitching.  He sure as h@ll didn't in his time with us this past season.  We need Napoli and Salty back.  We must not jettison players that helped us win this past season, especially if we replace them with Crisp and Cameron types.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1) Victorino, RF

2) Pedroia, 2B

3) Ortiz, DH

4) Nava, 1B--------------no protection for Papi

5) Bogaerts, SS 

6) Middlebrooks, 3B-----he would need to bat 4th for power, not sure if he could handle it

7) Gomes, LF---not a full time player

8) Ross/Lavarnway, C----------Lav is horrible defensively

9) Bradley, Jr. , CF----iffy bat might not be ready

Not a bad line up....but missing that other power bat to protect papi

[/QUOTE]

Are you joking? that is a horrible lineup...your 6,7,8 and 9 hitters are mediocre at best...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox made Napoli an offer, but it was a one year offer hgher than the original QU.

Their efforts to re-sign their own players are token, at best...

[/QUOTE]

If its true that it was a one year offer I would be insulted if I was Napoli and just move on... I am not liking what I am hearing about Salty and Drew as well.... if they lose all 3 of these guys plus Els, this team is a shell of what it was and would be a big disappointment... if Ben thinks that Middy and JBJ are good options then he is delusional...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1) Victorino, RF

2) Pedroia, 2B

3) Ortiz, DH

4) Nava, 1B

5) Bogaerts, SS 

6) Middlebrooks, 3B

7) Gomes, LF

8) Ross/Lavarnway, C

9) Bradley, Jr. , CF

???

[/QUOTE]

Nava batting cleanup and playing first base?  Please my friend, put the crack pipe down.  This is not a winning lineup whatsoever.  Gomes is best served by hitting against mostly lefthanders and I still wonder if Bradley will be able to hit ML pitching.  He sure as h@ll didn't in his time with us this past season.  We need Napoli and Salty back.  We must not jettison players that helped us win this past season, especially if we replace them with Crisp and Cameron types.

[/QUOTE]

+1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that it's only November 14th?  By the time New Year's comes round,  folks will be complaining about the absurd money they threw at some FA. 

[/QUOTE]

Some folks will always complain. But thank you Sheriff. I did not know the date. Now, I " do realize " what the date is. I am not too concerned about how much money they do , or do not , spend. I am of the opinion that the goal should always be to improve the ball club. Often, that does require spending. Just spend it wisely. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Any ball Naps touched would be out of that park! And as for Nava at 1st? I'm not a huge fan, but I can deal with it as long as they replace Naps' bat with a corner outfielder or something. WMB may wind up being a very solid hitter, but he's no guarantee yet. XB will be very solid too, but they need a righty bat to make teams at least think about pitching to Ortiz. Their big production years were with Manny behind him, and then Napoli. Guys like Bay and Youk never really scared you. They were both good hitters, but not such a deep threat that you were worried. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I could live with the lineup---though not with Nava--maybe Gomes as protection for Ortiz.

Morales at 1 B or Michael Morse or Mark Reynolds or James Loney or Chris Carter or Beltran or Grande slotted in the 4 or 5 hole behind Ortiz works for me.

The guy behind him has to be a HR threat to make Ortiz effective--he doesn't have to hit 30 dingers but a threat to hit 30.

Ortiz getting walked by the Cards to get to Naps told management Naps was not the protection any longer. The Cards and Tigers figured it out too late. Had they started walking Ortiz early in the Tampa series--the Sox may have been an early out in the playoffs.

To me I would not put the money into Salty or Naps. If  I'm putting $15- 22 M into somone's account it's into Beltran, McCann or Ells: Choice # 1-McCann, #2 Beltran.

Salty, Naps and WMB will  be K Machines if you bring them back---between 450 and 550 for the season for those three.

Here's my lineup: 

Vic, Pedroia, Ortiz, Beltran, Loney, McCann, Xander, Nava, WMB, ----that's about what $90 M buys in a starting 9. BenC fill in the other 16 players. 

If I brought any of the four FA's back it would be Drew because he's a defender and trade WMB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cherington must resign Napoli and give protection  to Papi in the lineup;  the idea of Nava on first is ridiculous.  He is part of a platoon with Gomes in LF, a solid platoon.  Wake up Ben.

[/QUOTE]

And there it is - the first 'Wake up Ben' of the offseason.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Napoli is protection for Ortiz? First I have heard of it.