Rockies near deal for Scutaro...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Rockies near deal for Scutaro...

... according to this tweet from Troy Renck of the Denver Post:

https://twitter.com/#!/TroyRenck/status/160487722383982592

I suspect some of Colorado's surplus starting pitching is coming back to Boston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro...

Yes, but who will play SS?  The revolving door is open again!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies “are close to acquiring” Marco Scutaro from the Red Sox.

Colorado has been looking for a veteran second baseman and Scutaro would be a nice addition, but the deal doesn’t make much sense for Boston unless the Red Sox have another move up their sleeve for a new shortstop.

They already traded Jed Lowrie to the Astros last month and prospect Jose Iglesias, while a slick fielder, hit just .235 at Triple-A last season as a 21-year-old. Parting with Scutaro would leave Nick Punto or Mike Aviles atop the shortstop depth chart for now, so it’s pretty safe to say there would be another move coming

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The talks are "fizzling":

https://twitter.com/#!/TroyRenck/status/160493380030308352

https://twitter.com/#!/TroyRenck/status/160493596104065024

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I'm holding out hope.  I don't care what we get in return as long as it frees up some cash.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'd prefer another low cost bullpen arm (lefty preferred) so that the Sox can sign Oswalt.

I am higher on the idea of heading into spring training with competition for the SS position (acknowledging how important that is, of course) between Aviles, Punto and Iglesias, than I am with Cook, Silva, and Padilla battling it out for #s 5 & 6, and Bard and Aceves battling it out for #4.

So I hope it will be revived and completed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Aviles could give the Sox as much or more than what the Sox got at SS during the WS years.  The guy is very valuable because he can play so many positions, and because of that he has been labeled a "utility" guy.  But, he would be a solid everyday SS - both defensively and offensively.  If the Sox get some pitching in return, and free up cash to sign a decent FA pitcher, then this is a no brainer. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Maybe Starlin Castro is Selig's choice for Theo compensation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro...:
    [QUOTE]Maybe Starlin Castro is Selig's choice for Theo compensation.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]
    Or Darwin Barney, the Cubs' secondbaseman who was a shortstop in the minors and in college at Oregon State (where I saw him play).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I'd hate to see Scutaro go, but if means getting another solid middle rotation starter, I'm all for it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I'd hate to see Scutaro go, but if means getting another solid middle rotation starter, I'm all for it.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  Scut's road warrior ... Love his effort, no matter what.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

RS should pull the trigger on this one.  We haven't had a steady SS for some time so why start now.  Plenty of servicable players to play the position.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like Scutaro. He is gutsy and often rises to the occasion when more famous teammates wither.

However, when you look at our whole roster and try to determine how we can trim salary to stay below the tax limit and still have enough to upgrade our staff, we should to look at the positions where we have the most MLB ready prospects and/or quality back-ups. The second part of the issue is what will we get in return in trade (probably not much) and how we spend the money saved.

The only positions where we could trade the starter and not lose a lot of production are:

SS: 
      Scutaro (.744 with Boston/turns 37 in October) is really not that much better than who could take his place.
      Mike Aviles: (.775 with Boston & .737 career/turns 31 in March) is more versatile and is a better fielding SS than Marco.
      Nick Punto: (.809 in 2011-just 166 PAs & .652 career/turned 34 in Nov.) is a better fielder.
      Jose Iglesias: (tiny MLB sample/just turned 22) Could be a top 5 MLB fielding SS and most likely bottom 5 hitting MLB SS in 2012.

C:
      Salty: (.737 in 2011-his best season/turns 27in May-the same age VTek broke out) Showed low stamina, issues blocking the plate (even not counting Wake), and very poor comparisons with VTek on "getting the best" out of almost every individual Sox pitcher.
      Lava: (.738 in a tiny sample/turns 25 in August) Could be the big RH'd bat we are looking for to boost our line-up. Defensive issues are a concern.
      Shoppach: the back-up who hits LHPs very well and is solid defensively.

DH:
      Papi: (.953 in 2011/just turned 36 in Nov.) Hard to expect replacing his numbers with Lavarnway/Youk and whoever, but replacing Papi creates much better flexibility, especially in NL parks.
      Lava: (See above)/ Youk: increase his chance to stay healthy and productive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Tough to say the Sox should pull the trigger without anyone knowing what the return would be.  However, I think Aviles is a great insurance policy.  If the Sox get decent pitching in return (bullpen or starting) it is worth it.  If it is for bullpen help then seemingly it would be for salary dump and FA signing.  That might be the best avenue as the Sox would get a chance to strengthen both the pen and the rotation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Boston Herald reports that the deal is unlikely:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2012/01/20/scutaro-to-rockies-not-close-and-also-not-likely/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tough to say the Sox should pull the trigger without anyone knowing what the return would be. 

I don't think it matters. The return would probably be a savings of close to $5M, and that could go a long way in improving our staff and/or RF.

However, I think Aviles is a great insurance policy.  If the Sox get decent pitching in return (bullpen or starting) it is worth it.  

Any useful piece or promising prospect would be icing on the cake.

If it is for bullpen help then seemingly it would be for salary dump and FA signing.  That might be the best avenue as the Sox would get a chance to strengthen both the pen and the rotation.

Agreed, plus every one of our pitchers would be improved with better fielding at SS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

As per Hearald:  No go on the Marco Scutaro trade to the Rockies. The Denver Post, which first reported it as close, said that the talks fizzled after the Rockies decided they did not want to take on Scutaro’s $6 million salary and the Red Sox realized they did not really have a suitable backup to Scutaro to play shortstop. So it’s a big “never mind” for now, but the talks likely are an indication of how the Red Sox could be looking for ways to clear some salary in order to sign a free agent starter such as Roy Oswalt.

Not for nothing, but this has to be about the dumbest summation I've ever read.  The deal fizzled when the Rockies suddenly decided the salary was too much and the Red Sox suddenly discovered they had no replacement?!?  Really?

Did nobody know Scutaro's contract, or the Sox's depth chart, going into the trade discussions?

My best guess is that if the deal was close and suddenly one team backed out, it is because some other deal fell through.  Or, one team wanted to up the ante at the last minute.  If either is true, hopefully things can still be worked out.  As moon has pointed out for a long time, Scutaro is the best way to shed salary without hurting the team much (and the argument can and has been made that it would actually HELP the team).

If the Sox can get a decent lefty for the bullpen, whose contract is inexpensive, then I really want a trade with Colorado to happen.  As IowaSoxFan points out, the Sox could end up strengthening both the rotation (using shed salary to add Jackson or Oswalt) and the bullpen.  I'd take that any day, if all it meant were that Aviles, Punto and Iglesias were the SS options come spring (with Bogaerts, Tejeda and Jose Vinicio waiting in the wings).

Does anyone know about the possibility of Sean Coyle converting to SS?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

How much less can  pen arms cost than Franklin Morales and Rich Hill when he returns in July. Morales was really efficient last season.

Perhaps adding  Miller or Doubrount to go with Scutaro and you might get Jhoulys Chacin for a back end starter--I doubt the Rox's would give him up but you never know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]How much less can  pen arms cost than Franklin Morales and Rich Hill when he returns in July. Morales was really efficient last season. Perhaps adding  Miller or Doubrount to go with Scutaro and you might get Jhoulys Chacin for a back end starter--I doubt the Rox's would give him up but you never know.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    I doubt the Rockies will trade their No. 1 starter, who just turns 24 this month, for a 36-year-old infielder and two unaccomplished pitchers who are older than Jhoulys Chacin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Tough to say the Sox should pull the trigger without anyone knowing what the return would be.  However, I think Aviles is a great insurance policy.  If the Sox get decent pitching in return (bullpen or starting) it is worth it.  If it is for bullpen help then seemingly it would be for salary dump and FA signing.  That might be the best avenue as the Sox would get a chance to strengthen both the pen and the rotation.
    Posted by IowaSoxFan[/QUOTE]

What combination is better?  Padilla and Scutaro, or Oswalt and Aviles?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro... : I doubt the Rockies will trade their No. 1 starter, who just turns 24 this month, for a 36-year-old infielder and two unaccomplished pitchers who are older than Jhoulys Chacin. Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

First, getting Darwin Barney as a potential starting SS as Theo compensation would be great. Unfortunately the Cubs have no one to replace Barney.
    Secondly, the Rockies #1 will be DeLaRosa although expecting Chacin for Scutaro would be a dream come true. Maybe Nicasio? They'd never part with Pomeranz...and their outfield offers only lefty hitters.

This isn't going to happen because it never had much substance methinks...then again I thought signing Padilla would never happen.

Adding Barney would be great. All we'd need is Mitch Canham and Mike Stutes!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro... : First, getting Darwi Barney as a potential starting SS as Theo compensation would be great. Unfortunately the Cubs have no one to replace Barney. Secondly, the Rockies #1 will be DeLaRosa although expecting Chacin for Scutaro would be a dream come true. Maybe Nicasio? They'd never part with Pomeranz...and their outfield offers only lefty hitters. This isn't going to happen because it never had much substance methinks...then again I thought signing Padilla would never happen.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

De La Rosa will not be starting the season with the Rockeis after TJ surgery.  Her might be back by May.

Juan Nicasio has not pitched since being struck on the neck by a line drive last August.  He only started throwing bullpen sessions last month and has yet to face an actual hitter.

They won't deal Pomeranz or Alex White in a package for Scutaro, and probably not Tyler Chatwood either.  And you are right about Chacin.

However, that still leaves Jason Hammel (most likely candidate if talks resume), Josh Outman, Guillermo Moscoso, Esmil Rogers, and Clay Mortenson, among others.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rockies near deal for Scutaro... : First, getting Darwin Barney as a potential starting SS as Theo compensation would be great. Unfortunately the Cubs have no one to replace Barney. 
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

What about Scoot for Barney as comp?  I know, still a pipedream, but it'd be awesome.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

really hope talks resume and a deal gets done. then we can use scutaros 6 mill to get oswalt or pehaps trade for a pitcher. if the sox backed out of the deal, then i have lost all respect for the fo. worried about not having a replacement for scutaro? really? we cant replace a defensively inept 37 yr old ss who is barely above average offensively? we have a 22 yr old stud defensive prospect who is not as bad at hitting as everyone seems to think who can step in right away and be one of the best defensive ss in the league. I would take my chances on him. starlin castro was a not a great hitter in the minors and turned into a .300 plus hitter upon getting his shot in the majors. give iglesias a chance, save 6 mill and get a pitcher who doesnt suck. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Pride, I think it had less to do with the Sox and more to do with the Rockies not wanting to pick up the tab on Scoot.