Rockies reportedly want Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for Ubaldo Jimenez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Rockies reportedly want Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for Ubaldo Jimenez

WEEI

The Red Sox are among the five teams still trying to land Rockies starter Ubaldo Jimenez, and FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi reported Friday that to get Jimenez, the Red Sox would need to part with Kyle Weiland and Double-A third baseman Will Middlebrooks.

Weiland is 0-1 with an 8.10 ERA in two major league starts. He has shown flashes of major league potential but has not had a dominant start.

Middlebrooks has shown some power with the Sea Dogs, hitting 22 doubles and 14 home runs while compiling a .528 slugging percentage.

Jimenez is 6-9 with a 4.20 ERA this season but just 3-1 in his last four starts with a strikeout-walk ratio of 4.14.

Rosenthal and Morosi wrote that the other teams interested in the 27-year-old righty are the Tigers, Yankees, Reds and Indians.

Sources told Rosenthal and Morosi that the Tigers would need to give up pitcher Jacob Turner, who is 3-5 with a 3.48 ERA and 90 strikeouts in 113 2/3 innings with Double-A Erie.

The Yankees would need to part with Ivan Nova (8-4, 4.12 ERA, but has been hampered by an ankle injury), Double-A pitcher Dellin Betances (4-4, 3.20 ERA, 1.13 strikeouts per inning) and Triple-A catcher Jesus Montero (.288, 50 doubles, 31 home runs over last two seasons with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre).

The Reds might need to give up Yonder Alonso, a first baseman and outfielder who’s batted .296 with 85 extra-base hits and 15 stolen bases over the last two seasons with Triple-A Louisville. Rosenthal and Morosi added that the Rockies would want a major league-ready pitcher from the Reds as well.

The Indians would have to trade Double-A lefty Drew Pomeranz, who is 3-3 with a 1.98 ERA between Single-A and Double-A this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Re: Rockies reportedly want Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for Ubaldo Jimenez

Read that. I would hardly take that blog seriously.  Why would they want far MORE from the Yankees?

And the trade would likely have already been completed if that's all they wanted from the Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Re: Rockies reportedly want Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for Ubaldo Jimenez

Do it. 

Like Middlebrooks...  but 3B is blocked for now and this kid is MLB ready.

Can't believe that is all that the Rocks are looking for in return.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

In Response to Re: Rockies reportedly want Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for Ubaldo Jimenez:
    [QUOTE]Read that. I would hardly take that blog seriously.  Why would they want far MORE from the Yankees? And the trade would likely have already been completed if that's all they wanted from the Sox.
    Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, Ubaldo would be on a plane, starting tonights game if that deal was offered by Colorado. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Rockies reportedly want Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for Ubaldo Jimenez:
    [QUOTE]Read that. I would hardly take that blog seriously.  Why would they want far MORE from the Yankees? And the trade would likely have already been completed if that's all they wanted from the Sox.

You are right. I cannot see the Rockies settling for that package from the Sox unless no other teams are interested in Jiminez. I just don't think they would ask for so much from the Yankees and be willing to settle for so much less from the Sox. Doesn't sound right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

along with weiland and middlebrooks, throw in wake; that should get the deal done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Keep Middlebrooks, Reddick, Doubrount.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

For UJ, Bedard or Pence---at this stage and with several teams competing---
    Weiland or Doubrount
    Lavarnmay or Federowicz
    Middlebrooks or Kalish
    Or perhaps some combo with the possibility of Brentz.

I would like to see them get Pence and Bedard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

Because the Yankees are the root of all evil and they subscribe to that kind of thing in Colorado. duh

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]For UJ, Bedard or Pence---at this stage and with several teams competing--- Weiland or Doubrount Lavarnmay or Federowicz Middlebrooks or Kalish Or perhaps some combo with the possibility of Brentz. I would like to see them get Pence and Bedard.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Or we could just get them ALL! if this is true there are no crossovers and we have a great rotation through 2012! wahahaha screw you other teams!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Pass! Jimenez isn't worth what they want.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Pass! Jimenez isn't worth what they want.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

agree 100%

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]That's what I was thinking. If that's all they want, I'd do that deal yesterday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]Pass! Jimenez isn't worth what they want.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

great. he'll fit right in with SLACKEY and CRAWFISH who aren't worth what they got.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

Is this ubaldo any goode?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]Is this ubaldo any goode?
    Posted by small-package[/QUOTE]

well, he's definitely better than WAKE, SLACKEY, and MILLER.
    but that's true of about 90 starting pitchers in the ML.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

That could be why Ubaldo is being sought by many teams in MLB. I think that Yazzer is onto something here. He isn't as stupid as he looks. For once he made a smart comment.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]along with weiland and middlebrooks, throw in wake; that should get the deal done.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

ain't gonna happen babe, er yazzer!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]That could be why Ubaldo is being sought by many teams in MLB. I think that Yazzer is onto something here. He isn't as stupid as he looks. For once he made a smart comment.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

well, i'm one up on you then, your-a-ho.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rockies reportedly want Kyle Weiland, Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for Ubaldo Jimenez : ain't gonna happen babe, er yazzer!
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

unfortunately, you're probably right GOMER, er hammah!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]For UJ, Bedard or Pence---at this stage and with several teams competing--- Weiland or Doubrount Lavarnmay or Federowicz Middlebrooks or Kalish Or perhaps some combo with the possibility of Brentz. I would like to see them get Pence and Bedard.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]In terms of trade value Middlebrooks and Kalish aren't in the same classification. Middlebrooks appears to be an elite 3B prospect right now. The positional value alone makes him a harder to find, therefore more valuable commodity. And Klish's injury plagued 2011 takes down his value further.

I think it is very hard to trade the futures that Middlebrooks and Lavarnway present, if you assume that the RS will take the time to make Lavarnway a competent MLB catcher.

Almost all pitching moves have risk, between catastrophic health issues and the more common health issues that create a slow deteroration of performance. After all guys don't forget how to pitch, their bodies betray them.

But to me Ubaldo is slightly different, even if you don't consider that there may be an underlying problem that is causing a drop in velocity. And that is his historical on and off issues with command, not control which is throwing strikes but command which is throwing strikes exactly where you want with the spin and movement you want.

When I look at his contract, the Rox budget, their longer term future based on their roster, I can't figure out why they'd trade this guy unless they question his viability in the long run.

That said it is a risk I personally as a fan would have no issue if the RS pass on it, even if it puts the WS prospects for 2011 in doubt. There already is a lot of payroll dollars tied up in starting pitchers that won't meet the value their contracts reflect (Lackey, DiceK).  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

if that it, theo should drive them to the airport for jimenez!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chasemon. Show chasemon's posts

JUMP ON IT!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ws04ed. Show ws04ed's posts

posted at 7/2

9/2011 12:23 PM EDTSounds too easy, why has't Theo pulled the trigger on this no brainer