Ross Strikes Out on 5 Balls; Umpires gotta go!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlgvt48. Show mlgvt48's posts

Ross Strikes Out on 5 Balls; Umpires gotta go!

This is not sour grapes for losing the game today but another in the series of continued issues I have with officials in all sports. I believe that we now have the technology to eliminate many of the things that umpires and referees do in sports. For example calling balls and strikes is primed for being replaced by a computer generated ball and strike calling system. In addition most plays at bases could also be replaced with cameras and software. In my opinion officials mistakes are not part of the game. Officials are supposed to enforce the rules as perfectly as possible. I am not looking for a challenge system like in football. Rather I am suggesting that the crew chief or head referee for all games should now be in the booth and make immediate calls and reversals if necessary. I think this would work very well for controlled actions sports such as football and baseball but probably would not work for flow sports like basketball and hockey. Your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Re: Ross Strikes Out on 5 Balls; Umpires gotta go!

In Response to Ross Strikes Out on 5 Balls; Umpires gotta go!:
    [QUOTE]This is not sour grapes for losing the game today but another in the series of continued issues I have with officials in all sports. I believe that we now have the technology to eliminate many of the things that umpires and referees do in sports. For example calling balls and strikes is primed for being replaced by a computer generated ball and strike calling system. In addition most plays at bases could also be replaced with cameras and software. In my opinion officials mistakes are not part of the game. Officials are supposed to enforce the rules as perfectly as possible. I am not looking for a challenge system like in football. Rather I am suggesting that the crew chief or head referee for all games should now be in the booth and make immediate calls and reversals if necessary. I think this would work very well for controlled actions sports such as football and baseball but probably would not work for flow sports like basketball and hockey. Your thoughts?
    Posted by mlgvt48[/QUOTE]
    The game was originally created to include human judgement which would also entertain the fact that humans err. Let's leave it alone before robotics are planted behind the dish. And these calls go both ways. You don't like it because it didn't go YOUR way today. And it IS sour grapes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Kill the ump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Ross Strikes Out on 5 Balls; Umpires gotta go!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Ross Strikes Out on 5 Balls; Umpires gotta go! : The game was originally created to include human judgement which would also entertain the fact that humans err. Let's leave it alone before robotics are planted behind the dish. And these calls go both ways. You don't like it because it didn't go YOUR way today. And it IS sour grapes.
    Posted by GEAUX-TIGRES[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ross Strikes Out on 5 Balls; Umpires gotta go! : The game was originally created to include human judgement which would also entertain the fact that humans err. Let's leave it alone before robotics are planted behind the dish. And these calls go both ways. You don't like it because it didn't go YOUR way today. And it IS sour grapes.

I agree lets leave it alone. Umps have bad days. Some times it goes your way and some times it does not. Having said this (and this is not sour grapes) that was a terrible job of strike calling on Ross. Three of the five pitches were not close. But like I said it goes both ways on different days!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

I'm all for keeping in the human err part of the game, but as a Rays fan, I will say, that today's call was a gift. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

Maybe the umps wanted to go home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response to; Re: Ross Strikes Out on 5 Balls; Umpires gotta go!:
    [QUOTE]Maybe the umps wanted to go home.
    Posted by BenitoMyHero[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]I'm all for keeping in the human err part of the game, but as a Rays fan, I will say, that today's call was a gift. 
    Posted by vcec[/QUOTE]

Agreed, no robots.  Nice to hear Rays fan tell it like it is.  The second pitch
    was close to being a strike, the other four, not so much.

Congrats on your win.

Hopefully we get one back this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Oh, it was crappy umpiring. But it's not why the Sox lost. Frankly, Ross should have never taken that third strike. It was apparent after the first two were called strikes that the ump had an early dinner date, so Ross should have guarded the plate better.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, it was crappy umpiring. But it's not why the Sox lost. Frankly, Ross should have never taken that third strike. It was apparent after the first two were called strikes that the ump had an early dinner date, so Ross should have guarded the plate better.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Agreed, not why they lost.  Still awful thou.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No...The game was created well before the word technology even existed.  The fact it doesn't evolve is simply moronic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Ross Strikes Out on 5 Balls; Umpires gotta go!:
    [QUOTE]This is not sour grapes for losing the game today but another in the series of continued issues I have with officials in all sports. I believe that we now have the technology to eliminate many of the things that umpires and referees do in sports. For example calling balls and strikes is primed for being replaced by a computer generated ball and strike calling system. In addition most plays at bases could also be replaced with cameras and software. In my opinion officials mistakes are not part of the game. Officials are supposed to enforce the rules as perfectly as possible. I am not looking for a challenge system like in football. Rather I am suggesting that the crew chief or head referee for all games should now be in the booth and make immediate calls and reversals if necessary. I think this would work very well for controlled actions sports such as football and baseball but probably would not work for flow sports like basketball and hockey. Your thoughts?
    Posted by mlgvt48[/QUOTE]

That would be fine if you want a 10 hour game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]The Home plate umpire had a bad case of the runs from an uncooked lobster tomale the night before. He hardly made it to the bathroom after calling those balls as strikes.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

pike-ean

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

that is just plain wrong!!! 

referees became part of the game because people did not have a choice. referees are there because it was better than settling contested calls by going into endless arguments or fights. 

the only errors that should be part of the game are those of players. anyone else's should be taken out of the game.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Seriously, the ump was almost running off the field.

Didnt like Ortiz swinging at first pitch in his last ab. Was he in a rush too?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Bad calls all day, but that's the Game.  Ross got screwed more than once.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

At least the UMP was consistent that at bat.   Had Ross been a lefty hitter however he would have been hit 3 or 4 times in that at bat, given how far off the plate those pitches were.  I thought we were looking at the reincarnation of Tom Glavine or Maddux and the good ole Braves and their notoriously wide strike zones.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I just finished watching the game on delay. I'm not usually one to complain about umps, but that was disgusting. A couple of the balls called against Bard were more like strikes than those to Ross. Oh well, we'll get some calls in other games. It all about evens out over 162 games. This is one reason they play so many games.