RS have done Nothing!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

RS have done Nothing!

Seems to me that BC is creating the perfect storm for Valentine to fail. His only somewhat major move was to acquire Bailey who is supposed to replace Pap. sorry but, as much as I disliked Pap, Bailey is no Papelbon, and can he pitch in Boston? His record agaisnt the ALE says no.
    Madson would have been a much better choice already pitching for a championship team, in a larger market.
    Bailey pitched for the A's remember.
    We did get the steady Nick Punto, utiltiy man deluxe, but we already had one of those who could hit for power. Not any more. I wish Jed well.
    Then there's Sweeney, had to let Reddick go to get him along with Bailey, then we learn Kalish is on the shelf. Brilliant there BC. I'd have rather they re-signed Nancy to a one or two year contract, at least we would know we were going get some HR's from the RF position. Could have signed Andruw, who was a superb fit for the RS, and would have kept him from hurting us as a Yankee. But no, Sweeney made more sense. What does Ben do now that Kalish is out? Go get another LH RF to platoon with Sweeney?

And still, BC has done nothing to address the major deficiency with this team, the starting rotation. If he tries to fill those 4 and 5 slots with Bard, Aceves, and Miller, this team is destined for the cellar in 2012. 
    Bard cannot come right out of the gate pitching every 6th day. He needs a year of spot starting to get used to the grind and strengthen his legs. Aceves can go into the rotation because he did just that last year, although woefully.
    Miller is just all over the place....made a huge mistake not re-signing Bedard.
    Now, if the RS do go out and sigh Jackson, or Oswalt, or even Kuroda, which could mean 12-15 more wins, it could make a diffence between 5th or 1st.
    And re-sign Wake, that's another guaranteed 8-10 wins.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Re: RS have done Nothing!

considering that theo blew the budget before leaving, they are doing the best they can without spending money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: RS have done Nothing!:
    [QUOTE]considering that theo blew the budget before leaving, they are doing the best they can without spending money.
    Posted by accland[/QUOTE]

They could dump 22M by moving Youk, Scut and Jenks (check that, we'd have to pay someone to take Jenks).
    That's the problem here, trying to fill gaps with also-rans because of rediculous contracts given to Lackey, Drew, Crawford, and Cameron (are we still paying for Lugo?).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

WAY TO GO ALIBI GRIPE. THE FORUM ALWAYS NEEDS SOME POT STIRRING ON A SLOW DAY.

STIR THAT POT ALIBI GRIPE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]WAY TO GO ALIBI GRIPE. THE FORUM ALWAYS NEEDS SOME POT STIRRING ON A SLOW DAY. STIR THAT POT ALIBI GRIPE
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

C'mon Ut! How boring this forum would be if everyone were on the same page.
    You must admit there are many more unanswered questions at this point going into to 2012. Just trying to be a realist.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RS have done Nothing! : C'mon Ut! How boring this forum would be if everyone were on the same page. You must admit there are many more unanswered questions at this point going into to 2012. Just trying to be a realist.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I agree that the Red Sox haven't really fully addressed their pitching needs for next season.  We can only hope that other players are signed before the season begins. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Madson? Overpay for a 30 year old who has ONE year of closing under his belt as opposed to a 27 year old with THREE seasons of closing under his belt.

Brilliant.

Oh, here comes the "injury history" reply.

To which I'd comment about relying on a 30 year old who's only done it once, and, again, would be making big money, and then I'd go on to throw in your face how you call all those contracts wastes AFTER the fact, and want to turn around and REPEAT THE SAME BEHAVIOR.

MORE brilliant.

Complain that they've spent, then complain that they're not spending.

BLINDINGLY brilliant!

But, you have achieved the only thing that matters to you, people are paying attention to you. Congrats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

But you are always on the page that prefers to incite, inflame, annoy, irritate, be cynical, be skeptical, be pessimistic. It would be different if you were that way only a fraction of the time but you are that way 100% of the time. That tells me that your mission here is identical to that of a troll ( look up definition). Your act is predictable, boring, and repetitive. Are you a closet Yankee fan? If so, why not admit it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

In Response to RS have done Nothing!:
    [QUOTE]Seems to me that BC is creating the perfect storm for Valentine to fail. His only somewhat major move was to acquire Bailey who is supposed to replace Pap. sorry but, as much as I disliked Pap, Bailey is no Papelbon, and can he pitch in Boston? His record agaisnt the ALE says no. Madson would have been a much better choice already pitching for a championship team, in a larger market. Bailey pitched for the A's remember. We did get the steady Nick Punto, utiltiy man deluxe, but we already had one of those who could hit for power. Not any more. I wish Jed well. Then there's Sweeney, had to let Reddick go to get him along with Bailey, then we learn Kalish is on the shelf. Brilliant there BC. I'd have rather they re-signed Nancy to a one or two year contract, at least we would know we were going get some HR's from the RF position. Could have signed Andruw, who was a superb fit for the RS, and would have kept him from hurting us as a Yankee. But no, Sweeney made more sense. What does Ben do now that Kalish is out? Go get another LH RF to platoon with Sweeney? And still, BC has done nothing to address the major deficiency with this team, the starting rotation. If he tries to fill those 4 and 5 slots with Bard, Aceves, and Miller, this team is destined for the cellar in 2012.  Bard cannot come right out of the gate pitching every 6th day. He needs a year of spot starting to get used to the grind and strengthen his legs. Aceves can go into the rotation because he did just that last year, although woefully. Miller is just all over the place....made a huge mistake not re-signing Bedard. Now, if the RS do go out and sigh Jackson, or Oswalt, or even Kuroda, which could mean 12-15 more wins, it could make a diffence between 5th or 1st. And re-sign Wake, that's another guaranteed 8-10 wins.

Posters like you make me sick. Nothing is ever good enough for morons like you. Always complaining. The Redsox spent serious money last year and will get great years from AGon and Crawford ( yes CC will bounce back ). Pedroia, Ells, Papi and Youk round out a great offense. Kalish will take over RF in May and Lavarnaway will be waiting for his chance. If Clay bounces back and Aceves gets penciled in as 4th starter the rotation will be fine. The bullpen could be filthy if Bard stays down there. The bench looks solid with Punto, Aviles and Shoppach. Add another dependable arm and lets rock. Lord go elsewhere if you have no faith. Theo could use more fans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Madson? Overpay for a 30 year old who has ONE year of closing under his belt as opposed to a 27 year old with THREE seasons of closing under his belt. Brilliant. Oh, here comes the "injury history" reply. To which I'd comment about relying on a 30 year old who's only done it once, and, again, would be making big money, and then I'd go on to throw in your face how you call all those contracts wastes AFTER the fact, and want to turn around and REPEAT THE SAME BEHAVIOR. MORE brilliant. Complain that they've spent, then complain that they're not spending. BLINDINGLY brilliant! But, you have achieved the only thing that matters to you, people are paying attention to you. Congrats.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

He also has 630 innings under his belt compared to what, 174? Sure, he would have cost more, and the only reason he wasn't closing sooner was because of Lidge. Closing in Philly is a little tougher than closing in Oakland, don't you think?
    You were prepared to have Bard as our closer without batting an eye.
    Bailey's numbers are very good, but will they be as good in Boston?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Bailey is no Papelbon, and can he pitch in Boston? His record agaisnt the ALE says no.

There is a rule that is true, both in the on-line world, and in the real world.

And it is time someone told you.

If someone says 'his record...says no', but doesn't tell you what 'his record' is, then the person is probably lying.

Here's why-If his record said he had a 6.00 against the NYY, and 5.00 against TB, and you knew that because you looked it up, you'd have posted it.  Since you didn't post it, you either don't know what it is, or you do and you are lying about it, but I consider both circumstances a form of lying.

Knowing you didn't post the numbers, I looked them up myself.

43.2 IPs 27 hits  4 HRs   40/13 K/W ratio  

To the extent that no record is pristine, explain to me why his record the ALE teams suggest he won't cut it in the ALE.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]But you are always on the page that prefers to incite, inflame, annoy, irritate, be cynical, be skeptical, be pessimistic. It would be different if you were that way only a fraction of the time but you are that way 100% of the time. That tells me that your mission here is identical to that of a troll ( look up definition). Your act is predictable, boring, and repetitive. Are you a closet Yankee fan? If so, why not admit it?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm a closet Dodger fan, grew up in LA. That's probably why i get so steamed at the Sox sometimes, inherently Dodger.
    I'm not trying to inflame or irritate, if you get that way, that's on you. Just expressing my opinion.
    And for the record, I detest the EE.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Bailey is no Papelbon, and can he pitch in Boston? His record agaisnt the ALE says no. There is a rule that is true, both in the on-line world, and in the real world. And it is time someone told you. If someone says 'his record...says no', but doesn't tell you what 'his record' is, then the person is probably lying. Here's why-If his record said he had a 6.00 against the NYY, and 5.00 against TB, and you knew that because you looked it up, you'd have posted it.  Since you didn't post it, you either don't know what it is, or you do and you are lying about it, but I consider both circumstances a form of lying. Knowing you didn't post the numbers, I looked them up myself. 43.2 IPs 27 hits  4 HRs   40/13 K/W ratio   To the extent that no record is pristine, explain to me why his record the ALE teams suggest he won't cut it in the ALE.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I did look it up, else I wouldn't have posted it. In an ealier post, I stated that except for Toronto he has not pitched well against the rest of the ALE including the Sox. I was referring to the BAA:

Sox - .400
    TB  - .364
    Bal - .353
    NY - .267
    Jays-.111

I also said in that earlier post that it was a small sample. Before you go around calling someone a liar, read all the posts.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RS have done Nothing! : I did look it up, else I wouldn't have posted it. In an ealier post, I stated that except for Toronto he has not pitched well against the rest of the ALE including the Sox. I was referring to the BAA: Sox - .400 TB  - .364 Bal - .353 NY - .267 Jays-.111 I also said in that earlier post that it was a small sample. Before you go around calling someone a liar, read all the posts.

BAA
    TB  .222
    BA  .225
    NY  .184
    TO  .032

You're taking a look at one year v his career.  I went overboard calling you a liar, and I apologize, but it seems like are just really reaching for something to be negative about.

The only player on the BJ roster that has a hit v Bailey is Lawrie, with a single.  The O's roster is 9-33, with 3 2Bs, no triples, and no HRs.  The NYY roster is 5-35, but with 2 HRs.  TB has the only roster that has had some success against him.

Saying his numbers against the ALE suggest he can't handle the ALE is really, really misleading.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to RS have done Nothing! : Posters like you make me sick. Nothing is ever good enough for morons like you. Always complaining. The Redsox spent serious money last year and will get great years from AGon and Crawford ( yes CC will bounce back ). Pedroia, Ells, Papi and Youk round out a great offense. Kalish will take over RF in May and Lavarnaway will be waiting for his chance. If Clay bounces back and Aceves gets penciled in as 4th starter the rotation will be fine. The bullpen could be filthy if Bard stays down there. The bench looks solid with Punto, Aviles and Shoppach. Add another dependable arm and lets rock. Lord go elsewhere if you have no faith. Theo could use more fans.
    Posted by coachzap[/QUOTE]

On another thread Alibi Gripe admitted to being a Dodger fan. He, like Hill, comes here to "keep us honest and realistic". I don't see it that way. To me he comes here to annoy, inflame, and irritate. He seems to enjoy getting Red Sox fans upset and likes to pretend that he is a concerned Red Sox fan which is disingenuous to say the least. He should be classify as a troll and be put onto ignore.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Once again I disagree with the negative opinions of a Dodger fan...

First off, the Dodgers would die to have the team the Red Sox have assembled so far...but they're still celebrating Mannywood.

In any event, this REDSOX fan believes that BC has done a good job so far this offseason, and he still has 2 months to tinker with things:

1) Acquiring Bailey & Melancon for the bullpen should replace most of Papelbon's stats at a savings of $7-8 million a year.

2) The core of the line-up is returning with RF being the only spot with questions...although Sweeney, MacDonald and possibly Aviles could field the position adequately while the rest of the line-up rakes. I do see BC looking to upgrade here if the right deal presents itself.

3) The fact that Punto was brought in to replace Lowrie is a wash, while Punto is better defensively.

4) The rotation will likely add Bard or Aceves (but not both) as a #5 starter.

5) Shoppach will back-up Saltalamacchia unless Lavernway plays himself onto the team, otherwise he returns to Pawtucket.

So the only work BC has left is to find one or two additional starters to support the rotation and possibly one additional arm for the bullpen, depending on how the starter situation pans out.

Lastly, to speculate that Bailey or Melancon will not be able to handle teams in the AL East is totally unknown right now...who says a guy like Madsen, with a big dollar contract, would do any better? Pitching in Philly does not make a player better qualified to pitch in the AL East.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

ike, you're certainly entitled to your opinions, be they positive or negative, but a thread title 'RS have done Nothing!' is simply ridiculous. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

rediculous contracts given to Lackey, Drew, Crawford, and Cameron

Drew and Cameron are off the books. Lackey and Crawford are married to the books.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, we lost Paps.
    Yes, Bailey and Melancon might not do nearly as well.

However, you do realize that even if Bard, Aceves, Doubront and whoever do not give us 160+ innings each as starters, they almost can't do any worse that 2011's 4th starters and lower:

IP   W-L   ERA
    Lackey  160 12-12  6.41
    Wake     137  7-8     5.31
    Miller        58  6-3     5.55
    Bedard     38  1-2     4.03
    Dice-K      36  3-2     4.95
    Weiland   22  0-3     8.72
    Aceves     21 1-1     5.14

I worry about our starter depth, but I think Ben will get at least one more starter. We look thin at starter depth:
    Beckett, Lester, Buch, Bard, Aceves... then...
    Doubront, Miller, Tazawa, and Wilson

If the top 5 starters stay healthy, they should do better as a whole than 2011's starters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RS have done Nothing! : I did look it up, else I wouldn't have posted it. In an ealier post, I stated that except for Toronto he has not pitched well against the rest of the ALE including the Sox. I was referring to the BAA: Sox - .400 TB  - .364 Bal - .353 NY - .267 Jays-.111 I also said in that earlier post that it was a small sample. Before you go around calling someone a liar, read all the posts.

You do realize you are forming your opinion on very small sample sizes, and that holding the Yanks to a .267 BA is good, not bad.

Bailey has ...
    12 IP vs TB
    11 IP vs NYY
    10.1 vs Balt
    10.1 vs Tor
    10.0 vs Bos

A better stat to judge relief pitchers by is WHIP, not BA or ERA:
    WHIP in these tiny sample sizes:
    NYY  1.182
    TB     1.167
    Bos   1.500 (won't be facing us anymore)
    Bal    1.065
    Tor    0.194

Total for the 4 other AL East teams:
    43.2 IP  27 Hits  13 BB  (40 Ks)
    WHIP 0.916

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]considering that theo blew the budget before leaving, they are doing the best they can without spending money.
    Posted by accland[/QUOTE]

Theo may have blown the budget but you can bet that ownership went right along with him...after all it was their money.  Maybe ownership should have went to the Cubs along with Theo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to RS have done Nothing!:
    [QUOTE]Seems to me that BC is creating the perfect storm for Valentine to fail. His only somewhat major move was to acquire Bailey who is supposed to replace Pap. sorry but, as much as I disliked Pap, Bailey is no Papelbon, and can he pitch in Boston? His record agaisnt the ALE says no. Madson would have been a much better choice already pitching for a championship team, in a larger market. Bailey pitched for the A's remember. We did get the steady Nick Punto, utiltiy man deluxe, but we already had one of those who could hit for power. Not any more. I wish Jed well. Then there's Sweeney, had to let Reddick go to get him along with Bailey, then we learn Kalish is on the shelf. Brilliant there BC. I'd have rather they re-signed Nancy to a one or two year contract, at least we would know we were going get some HR's from the RF position. Could have signed Andruw, who was a superb fit for the RS, and would have kept him from hurting us as a Yankee. But no, Sweeney made more sense. What does Ben do now that Kalish is out? Go get another LH RF to platoon with Sweeney? And still, BC has done nothing to address the major deficiency with this team, the starting rotation. If he tries to fill those 4 and 5 slots with Bard, Aceves, and Miller, this team is destined for the cellar in 2012.  Bard cannot come right out of the gate pitching every 6th day. He needs a year of spot starting to get used to the grind and strengthen his legs. Aceves can go into the rotation because he did just that last year, although woefully. Miller is just all over the place....made a huge mistake not re-signing Bedard. Now, if the RS do go out and sigh Jackson, or Oswalt, or even Kuroda, which could mean 12-15 more wins, it could make a diffence between 5th or 1st. And re-sign Wake, that's another guaranteed 8-10 wins.

This team right now could have 5 starters from Pawtucket and not finish in the cellar. Go play with your X-BOX.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

If the Red Sox had swapped the whole team for another, as I recall the Celtics doing when owned by John Y. Brown, I suspect some would be writing that neither the Red Sox nor Ben had done so far in this offseason.  Maybe someone who thinks the Red Sox have not done what that someone think should have done, therefore, nothing has been done. However, if that someone was a fan of the Red Sox biggest rival had compared what has been done, very well that someone might think the Yankees have done nothing and therefore the competition might be between the 2 non-doers, probably what we should all do is see how things come out when these 2 teams are doing nothing and also how the games are played on the field?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Blown the budget traslates into this??

Should have foreseen TJ surgery needed for Dice-K and Lackey.

Should have known that Crawford would underperform.

Should not had extended Beckett who pitched great last year.

Should not have extended Pedroia, Youk, Lester, and Bucholz at hometown discounts.

Me thinks that a few posters have their facts scrambled.