Rude awakening

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Rude awakening

Well , it was a challenge to go down to Texas and play a very good Rangers team. The Sox did not meet the challenge. They failed miserably and were swept. Now it will be interesting to see how they respond to adversity. Will all the peace and love go out the window ?  Will the clubhouse chemistry result in any clutch hits?  We have four at home against the Twins. Very winnable. Let's see what happens.  Here is a big part of it:  The bottom of the order is not productive. The Sox are overly reliant on production from the top of the order. In recent years , that means Ellsbury and Pedroia getting on , and Ortiz and others driving them in. However , from what I see , Ellsbury is nowhere near the hitter he was in 2011.  And Pedroia is out of his element hitting third. Ortiz is doing his job , but he cannot do it alone. Without more production from Ellsbury and Pedroia , it will be difficult to maintain consistent scoring.  Let's see  if the Sox can bounce back, or if this is the beginning of a slide into mediocrity . Stay tuned. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Rude awakening

It was a rude awakening.  But historically the Red Sox, for reasons unknown, have always done poorly in Texas.  As you say they have to bounce right back against the Twins, who I think they have usually handled very well at Fenway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It was a rude awakening.  But historically the Red Sox, for reasons unknown, have always done poorly in Texas.  As you say they have to bounce right back against the Twins, who I think they have usually handled very well at Fenway.

Agree.  Over the last few seasons we almost never win games in Texas.  We always struggle against the Rangers and haven't won many series against them.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

Agree.  Over the last few seasons we almost never win games in Texas.  We always struggle against the Rangers and haven't won many series against them.  

To put it simply, they are a better team right now. Mediocre teams tend to struggle against good teams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

To put it simply, they are a better team right now. Mediocre teams tend to struggle against good teams.

How does a mediocre team have a 20-11 record?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Before they played us, Texas lost 2 of 3 to the White Sox, who are obviously an inferior team.  So what happens in one 3-game series is hardly proof of who is the better team. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

How does a mediocre team have a 20-11 record?

Funny. You are right. We are the best team in baseball, right? I guess I am thinking that this team has played over their heads so far and will, in the end, be mediocre, finishing at roughly the .500 mark. Furthermore, the discussion was about how we "always" struggle in Texas (ie the last several years). Without looking up our record there I assume this is true. It sure seems that way. And certainly last year we were not even mediocre, and the Rangers were very good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Before they played us, Texas lost 2 of 3 to the White Sox, who are obviously an inferior team.  So what happens in one 3-game series is hardly proof of who is the better team. 

Which team do you think will finish with the better record: the Rangers or the Red Sox? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Just because the Sox lost three in Texas doesn't mean the Sox are mediocre. The Sox before the series were on a pace for 115-plus wins. The Sox could end up being a very good team ore even great team this year but they still weren't going to win 115 to 120 games.

The Sox have won all but two series so far this year, so the Sox were due for a little market correction (so to speak) and it came against a very good team on the road at a place where the Sox have had trouble recently. Didn't like the getting swept, but I can live with that. It's better than losing at home to a weak team.

One series tells you nothing. Baseball is funny in that a great team can have a losing record against the weakest team. I remember one year before the Rays got good, they seemed to have the Yankees number that year.

Wasn't it 2011 when the Sox began the year 9-0 against the Yankees and finished 10-9 against them for the season -- something like that.

Let's see how they respond.

My only problem with the weekend was that Lester just didn't quite have enough. He began great, had a low pitch count. Was really hoping he'd get through seven with the one run. Didn't get rocked, however, so IMO, he's still heading in the right direction after last year. Let's see what he does in his next start.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Just because the Sox lost three in Texas doesn't mean the Sox are mediocre. The Sox before the series were on a pace for 115-plus wins. The Sox could end up being a very good team ore even great team this year but they still weren't going to win 115 to 120 games.

The Sox have won all but two series so far this year, so the Sox were due for a little market correction (so to speak) and it came against a very good team on the road at a place where the Sox have had trouble recently. Didn't like the getting swept, but I can live with that. It's better than losing at home to a weak team.

One series tells you nothing. Baseball is funny in that a great team can have a losing record against the weakest team. I remember one year before the Rays got good, they seemed to have the Yankees number that year.

Wasn't it 2011 when the Sox began the year 9-0 against the Yankees and finished 10-9 against them for the season -- something like that.

Let's see how they respond.

My only problem with the weekend was that Lester just didn't quite have enough. He began great, had a low pitch count. Was really hoping he'd get through seven with the one run. Didn't get rocked, however, so IMO, he's still heading in the right direction after last year. Let's see what he does in his next start.

That is my point. We got swept by , what would seem to be , a better team. It was only three games. Not the end of our hopes.  We can bounce back. The question is :  Will we ?  That is what remains to be seen. It starts tomorrow night at home versus a very beatable opponent. There is a long season ahead.  But if we do not respond , the losing can become a habit. If that happens , all the good chemistry will mean nothing. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

Anybody still think ells is a 13-15 mill a year player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to CHUBBIE99's comment:

Nope, but I think he will get that next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

thats taking it a bit too far. The Sox are hardly a mediocre team. Theu just simply suck at Arlington. When they come to Fenway in June, the Sox will give them a warm reception. Im as ticked as anyone, even predicted a sweep, but dont think Texas is THAT much better than Boston, and may not be better at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

thats taking it a bit too far. The Sox are hardly a mediocre team. Theu just simply suck at Arlington. When they come to Fenway in June, the Sox will give them a warm reception. Im as ticked as anyone, even predicted a sweep, but dont think Texas is THAT much better than Boston, and may not be better at all.

Well, as Kimmi said, since we are 20-11 we are the best team in baseball, right? I believe our talent level will produce a .500 team this year, no matter where we are right now. I also believe that the Rangers will be right in the thick of things for a ring. The Rangers are better than us in Arlington, and they are better than us in Boston too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Well, as Kimmi said, since we are 20-11 we are the best team in baseball, right? I believe our talent level will produce a .500 team this year, no matter where we are right now. I also believe that the Rangers will be right in the thick of things for a ring. The Rangers are better than us in Arlington, and they are better than us in Boston too.

Its not unusual for even a good team to have one or two venues they struggle at. Look at how NYY struggled at LA for a long time, didnt mean the Angels were always better. Im more afraid of injuries than the Rangers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

[QUOTE]

Red Sox used to do great in Texas. Bill Mueller hit 2 grand slams in same inning in Texas and Sox would hit many homers in Texas with Manny and David, Trot Nixon. Ellsbury can only hit singles, Pedroia can not hit at all always swinging at balls in dirt, Napoli is second in AL in strikeouts only 5 behind Houston leader at 53. Middlebrooks is shaky at bat and in field as is Ciriaco and Pedroia. Drew good in field but can not hit nor can Salty who strikes out too much. Play Ross more. Bring back Iglesias at SS. Loss of Adrian Gonzalez leaves Sox with noone to drive in runs as Sox must lead MLB in leaving runners on base. Sox take way too many strikes. They never swing at balls down the middle but swing at balls 5 feet outside or in the dirt. Most can not hit a ball down the middle but foul it off especially Ells who is really questionable. Too bad Sox GM did not think Adrian Beltre was a good player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Glad we have an ace this year, and he's pitching tomorrow to do what ace's do: end losing streaks and start win streaks.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

I like this team a lot and think they bounce back. Texas has always been a bad place for the Red Sox to play. It is disappointing, being swept is a bad sign but I must point out that Detroit swept a very good Atlanta team last week. It happens.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to mascmen7's comment:

[QUOTE]

Red Sox used to do great in Texas. Bill Mueller hit 2 grand slams in same inning in Texas and Sox would hit many homers in Texas with Manny and David, Trot Nixon. 

Ha ha...wrong.  The Sox were 2-4 in Texas in 2003 and 0-3 in 2004.  That's 2-7.  That's not doing great.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

It is always interesting when we take a team history perspective. However all the names have changed on both sides thus  history doesn't apply here. 

This post is spot-on. 

It never ceases to amaze me that people will point to what's happened over the past few (or several!) years and try to use that as an indicator of what's going to happen this year or today.

Each year BOTH of the teams in question have altered their rosters by acquiring players who would help the team and at the same time tradiing or releasing players whom they didn't think would help their team. 

Often times the only resemblance to a team of, say three or four years ago is their uniforms.  What Jerry Seinfeld referred to as their "laundry". 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Pitching matters:

Texas----------Holland,   Ogando and Darvish.

Boston--------Doubrount, Lackey and our #1 Lester.

Would have been nice to have Lester, Buch and Dempster and someone to use in the Pen in place of Bailey--who should have been on the DL after Tuesday's DNP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to CHUBBIE99's comment:

Scott Boras thinks that he is a $17-20 million a year player.   LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Based on what?

The Rangers haven't played in Fenway yet this year.