Rumors of Ortiz' demise greatly exaggerated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Rumors of Ortiz' demise greatly exaggerated?

So the notoriously slow starting one appears in shape, in sync, and "en fuego".
    Yes, it is early, but this does bode well for the balance of the year as Papi has usually started slowly the last few years.

Anybody out there still complaining about re-signing him ?  Anyone ?    Bueller ?

Let's just hope Ells comes back soon, and fully healthy; while Ross, Sweeney, Salty and Aviles continue to chip in timely hits. Not sure about " The EEEA-VIL ONE " leading off in meantime, but today he proved me wrong.
    Now Felix El Chato needs to pitch deep into the game tomorrow while getting a win.Pardon the nicknames but these guys NEED some good monikers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Rumors of Ortiz' demise greatly exaggerated?

So it seems.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

When people were saying his bat had slowed down I said all along it was the wrist injury slowing him down. He sure seems to be getting around on that inside fastball now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yes, he's quickly returned to the threat he always was before.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Yeah, it was a pretty good idea to bring him back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Rumors of Ortiz' demise greatly exaggerated?:
    [QUOTE]When people were saying his bat had slowed down I said all along it was the wrist injury slowing him down. He sure seems to be getting around on that inside fastball now.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Last season I said early on he would have a big year because I knew his wrist was finally 100%. The wrists are key to a hitters swing. Plus, Papi is a smart hitter and started hitting the opposite way more often. The man can flat out hit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumors of Ortiz' demise greatly exaggerated? : Exactly. Last season I said early on he would have a big year because I knew his wrist was finally 100%. The wrists are key to a hitters swing. Plus, Papi is a smart hitter and started hitting the opposite way more often. The man can flat out hit.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]I think Gonzo has been a good influence on him in that regard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumors of Ortiz' demise greatly exaggerated? : I think Gonzo has been a good influence on him in that regard.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Speaking of which, Gonzo really hasn't started hitting yet. When he does, the lineup could be that much more lethal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumors of Ortiz' demise greatly exaggerated? : Speaking of which, Gonzo really hasn't started hitting yet. When he does, the lineup could be that much more lethal.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]He has done some nice clutch hitting to drive in some much needed runs, but you're right, he doesn't seem to have found his stroke yet. Youk seems to be finding his in the last couple of days though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

The thing that impressed me more than Papi's HR today was his semi-bunt single to left. 

That is sending a very clear message that if you want to use that shift against him you're going to pay for it.  If he gets an inside pitch, one he can hit for power, he'll take it out.  If you pitch him away he'll take the (almost) sure single to left.  Kinda like, "choose your poision".

I like it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]The thing that impressed me more than Papi's HR today was his semi-bunt single to left.  That is sending a very clear message that if you want to use that shift against him you're going to pay for it.  If he gets an inside pitch, one he can hit for power, he'll take it out.  If you pitch him away he'll take the (almost) sure single to left.  Kinda like, "choose your poision". I like it. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]I was loving that too. I've been saying since Maddon started using that shift that you should take a free hit if they're going to give it to you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Guys, help me out here on this nickname thing. I figure Doubront, Morales, Melancon, Padilla, Bowden, Atchison and eventually Bailey all need handles. Plus Ross, Aviles, Sweeney et al.

Hmm , Matt "Fat" Albers ?...Josh 'Crispy" Buckett , Lefty Lester, Felix El Chato Doubie, Scott "Topeka Santa Fe " Atchison ?
    For some reason, I like " Ice Man " Morales.

Suggestions welcome !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, help me out here on this nickname thing. I figure Doubront, Morales, Melancon, Padilla, Bowden, Atchison and eventually Bailey all need handles. Plus Ross, Aviles, Sweeney et al. Hmm , Matt "Fat" Albers ?...Josh 'Crispy" Buckett , Lefty Lester, Felix El Chato Doubie, Scott "Topeka Santa Fe " Atchison ? For some reason, I like " Ice Man " Morales. Suggestions welcome !
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]Sorry, I can offer no help on the nickname front, although I do like Fat Albers.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumors of Ortiz' demise greatly exaggerated? : "choose your poision". I have mixed feelings on that S5 the million dollar question '' how to hit into the shift  '' one of my  fav topics I mean it all sounds great the way you describe it   it all went perfect today but doing that semi-bunt single to left is kinda giving the mgr what he was asking for  instead of the big guy driving the ball I guess like everything else there is a time & a place 4 it so yeah I wish teix would do it a couple of times too 
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

I've given this some thought (believe it or not  LOL) and here's what I've come up with.

A little less than 3 times out of 10 Papi was successful while hitting into the shift last year.  That means that 7 times out of 10 he made an out, often even without advancing a runner. A completely wasted at AB.

If he can hit to the left successfully on half of his attempts (not an unreasonable thought) he'll either improve his BA or he'll make the managers stop using the shift.  But even more important, he won't make as many outs and if you can put a person on base without making an out you have a better chance of scoring. 

Heck, I love to watch him hit the Long Ball, but with a loaded lineup behind him I say, why not take what they'll give you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]When people were saying his bat had slowed down I said all along it was the wrist injury slowing him down. He sure seems to be getting around on that inside fastball now.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

That's what I always thought. The slow start in 2009, to me, was just a carry over from the wrist injury.

The slow start in 2010 was just that -- a slow start/slump that sometimes just happens. He batted .285 the rest of the season.

I wasn't predicting that he would start hitting lefties again, something he has started to struggle with. But considering that he used to hit lefties very well, it shouldn't have been too surprising that a player makes adjustments and rebounds.

I was all for him coming back, even at the money he's getting. I just hope he stays healthy and keeps it up all year. A healthy Papi who's raking is a happy Papi and that attitude in the clubhouse is just what the team needs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i was saying all off season we should pay the man and give him 2 years AT LEAST. he is showing he wants to play this game for as long as he can by losing weight and becoming more agile. hes running like a GAZELLE and being smart on the base paths. he is shredding the shift and hitting the ball well.

as for nicknames the only nick name i have for anyone on that list is lester. My friends and I call him Lester the Molester.

i do like the ice man morales. thats got a damn good sound to it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Papi's improved going to left ever since gonzo came on board.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Rumors of Ortiz' demise greatly exaggerated?:
    [QUOTE]So the notoriously slow starting one appears in shape, in sync, and "en fuego". Yes, it is early, but this does bode well for the balance of the year as Papi has usually started slowly the last few years. Anybody out there still complaining about re-signing him ?  Anyone ?    Bueller ? Let's just hope Ells comes back soon, and fully healthy; while Ross, Sweeney, Salty and Aviles continue to chip in timely hits. Not sure about " The EEEA-VIL ONE " leading off in meantime, but today he proved me wrong. Now Felix El Chato needs to pitch deep into the game tomorrow while getting a win.Pardon the nicknames but these guys NEED some good monikers.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

I aways stood with Papi ... as others here mention, his wrist injury was a significant factor.  I always wondered why the naysayers couldn't figure out how important a wrist injury is to someone who earns his living almost exclusively by the health of his wrists.  All the rest of Papi's talents can be 100% but if those joints that attach the hands to the body don't work ... oh well.

I loved hearing of his 5 rbis today.  I've been too busy to follow closely this last week.  That sounds almost blasphemous .... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

15 Jul 2010 – “I was watching the other day this guy named Buster Olney,'' Ortiz ... This guy was talking that I can't hit inside pitches and I was like, 'What is this guy watching?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I'm very pleased that we haven't had another seeming "oh for April" start. He won't have to keep up this pace for too long before I gladly admit that the investment in this year turned out well. A couple of other observations ...

Bobby V's spring training prep is no doubt making a difference that I was not planning on. The occasional attempt to steal could force more teams to hold him on first, providing a better gap for the next hitter. This is a new and good thing.

I'd like to see a lot more hits like the late double to the left side. I'd be only to glad to sacrifice some power if we could burn opposing teams that showed him the shift. Make them play honest, and he could become significantly more effective at the plate. GIDPs from the shift become singles to right. This would be huge.

Limiting it to a one year extension means every year is a walk year. I have no doubt about the focus this brings to Ortiz.

Seeing other players with slow starts at the plate makes this a welcome performance indeed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brunobeer. Show Brunobeer's posts

OK OK I was wrong!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry David. Go have a great year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I admit, I'm looking very wrong. I didn't want him to come back, I wanted that roster slot/DH position to be used differently. Lavarnway or Middlebrooks would have been my choice for full time at bats before anyone asks.

But, isn't it fair, just as his supporters said in the past "it's early", isn't it now, very early?

It is, however, VERY encouraging for him to start off fast for a change.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m