Run Quintin, run

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Run Quintin, run

The last three times Berry has pinch run, he has not tried to steal second. It defeats the whole purpose of his being here. I don't know if he is afraid of being thrown out , or if he is not getting the green light. Whatever the reason, this is not good. His only real value is as a base stealer. Where would we be if Tito had Mueller sac bunt Roberts to second in 2004 ?  I know that Berry has a better chance of taking the extra base on a hit , but his reason for being here is to steal bases. He needs to be more aggressive in doing that. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Run Quintin, run

WEll, not just a base stealer, although it does help.

But his speed, and more important, base running skills enable himto score more readily from second on a single or from first on a double.

And the baserunning skill is very important as opposed to speed alone.  Anyone who doubts that needs to be reminded of Clay Buchholz' - who is VERY fast and was recruited be a few Division I football programs as a wideout, including Texas and Notre Dame - and his very ill-fated attempt as a pinch runner.

To set the stage, Francona sent Buchholz out to second in the ninth inning of a one run deficit.  Buchholz completely misjudged LF David Murphy's attempt on a flyball and wound up failing to score from second on a double.  (The Sox did still rally big in the ninth and win the game regardless.)

Berry would never make such a simple mistake as that.  

And I think for emphasis in this case, the word "never" needs more r's.  Something like "Berry would NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR make such a simple mistake as that."

It's the Rs, right?  Or do I need more Vs?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to notin's comment:

But his speed, and more important, base running skills enable himto score more readily from second on a single or from first on a double.

And the baserunning skill is very important as opposed to speed alone.  Anyone who doubts that needs to be reminded of Clay Buchholz' - who is VERY fast and was recruited be a few Division I football programs as a wideout, including Texas and Notre Dame - and his very ill-fated attempt as a pinch runner.

To set the stage, Francona sent Buchholz out to second in the ninth inning of a one run deficit.  Buchholz completely misjudged LF David Murphy's attempt on a flyball and wound up failing to score from second on a double.  (The Sox did still rally big in the ninth and win the game regardless.)

And I think for emphasis in this case, the word "never" needs more r's.  Something like "Berry would NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR make such a simple mistake as that."

I did mention that he can take the extra base. Using Buchholz as an example doesn't prove anything. I think we all know that Berry was obtained to be a base stealer, not so much for his  overall base running ability. Even given your penchant to be contrary, that was not a very good response. Come on Notin, this guy is here to pinch run and steal bases. Time for him to do it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Actually, just being inserted to run gets the pitcher & defense "thinking"......  To bad he had already been used last before the 11th inning as he could/would have run for Salty, then we win the game !!!  Speed is goooood.....   AKA CIRCA Dave Roberts...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A better and more recent example is Nava who also failed to score from 2d on a double which went over the right fielder's head.  Why?  Because he couldn't decide where to be, danced around, and finally was dashing back to 2d when the ball went over the rightfielder's head.  Buchholz can at least claim massive inexperience, but Nava cannot. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Just having him dancing in the picther's perpherral is a weapon in itself.  No need for him to go hog wild running on everything.  Its all in the timing.  That Yankee game where he Davey Robertsed Mo, he got a phenomenal jump.  The dude knows what he is doing out there.  Base stealing is entirely situational.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to notin's comment:

That play with Buchholz running wasn't terrible.He was on 2nd,and when the ball was hit it looked as though Murphy had a GOOD chance of catching it.That's why he was dancing in between the bases.Once he saw it wasn't caught,he turned on the jets.Then,it took a perfect throw from the Micheal Young (cut off man) to barely get Buchholz at the plate.

It seems as though everyone remembers it as a horrible play by Buchholz,I just don't think it was all that bad,but that's just my opinion. 

Here's the video of the play:

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=6103771

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The man is here to steal bases. That is what everyone said. So , let him do it. Don't give up an out bunting him to second. And , don't spin it that he is here because he is a smarter base runner than Clay Buchholz.

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

When Berry came in, they bunted him over. So the Sox had a fast runner at second (and first after the intentional BB to Middlebrooks) with one out. A good situation. Then the damn 4-6-3.

Would it have been better to go with the straight steal? Maybe, though McFarland is a lefty. In fact, I remember on McFarland's first  pitch to Nava, Berry started moving back to  first because he couldn't read him.

Sometimes we tend to overanalyze the obvious. The Sox lost last night because they were 1-for-7 with RISP and had four (four!) GIDPs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In the second instance of Berry's PR'ing I was wondering why he didn't run when I realized that just having Berry there was distracting the pitcher.  Ball 1 - low and inside, ball 2, low and inside, ball 3, low and inside, then the the batter (Middlebrooks?) swung at a low/inside strike and hit into a DP. A little more plate discipline might have gotten Berry to second without the risk of being thrown out trying to steal.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

When Berry came in, they bunted him over. So the Sox had a fast runner at second (and first after the intentional BB to Middlebrooks) with one out. A good situation. Then the damn 4-6-3.

Would it have been better to go with the straight steal? Maybe, though McFarland is a lefty. In fact, I remember on McFarland's first  pitch to Nava, Berry started moving back to  first because he couldn't read him.

Sometimes we tend to overanalyze the obvious. The Sox lost last night because they were 1-for-7 with RISP and had four (four!) GIDPs.

Agree on all.  Plus I claim five GIDP's because Pedroia hit into one--except that Roberts made a bad throw to 1B.  But the grounder was a perfect double play ball. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It's not just last night. Against N.Y. , Rivera almost picked him off , and he then became cautious. I think he has pinch run eight times with one steal. 

Stabbed by Foulke.