Ryan Dempster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Ryan Dempster

30 IP

43 Ks

WOW!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Like I posted a while back, Dempster is a true professional.  I'm surprised and elated with how he is pitching.  He very easily could have a winning record.

A big plus might be the fact that we'll be playing more interleague games and Dempster, of course, has had previous experience facing those teams.

His strikeouts are incredible!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We also have this:

Bailey  11.1 IP  20 Ks

Miller 4.2 IP  8 Ks

Team 196 IP  218 Ks (1st in AL)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Are we possibly living another 'impossible dream'?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes looking better and better. If he keeps going like this, there will be a lot of crow being eaten on this forum.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Houston is not even an NL team...they are a AAA team

i have to laugh listening to EEI yesterday morning that mentioned the Yanks have four players who make more $ than the entire Houston payroll...what a disgrace MLB is - the fourth largest city in America with that kind of payroll/ownership

Dempster does look good though...and durable

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Hope the Dempster bashers are having a great morning.

Dempster doesn't enter the equation.  For the most part, the people dumping on Dempster also dump on most of our players.  Seriosly, check out any of the Dempster haters, and you'll find they probably hated the Vic signing, the Gomes signing, the Napoli signing, etc.

Not all of them mind you, there are still independent minds in here, but some of the 'fans' in here literally dislike every single player on the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i have to laugh listening to EEI yesterday morning that mentioned the Yanks have four players who make more $ than the entire Houston payroll...what a disgrace MLB is - the fourth largest city in America with that kind of payroll/ownership

They had to go through this though.  In the end, it is up to the owner to provide a payroll commensurate with the local market, but the Astros were rotten from top to bottom.  Dumping everyone, what little they had, and shooting for 50 wins, was 100% correct.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I wasn't real happy with the Dempster signing originally,but I don't hate him and I'm not going to bash him.I just thought he was over rated and overpaid.I figured him for about a 4.50 ERA if he had a good year,but his perfomances so far have exceeded my expectations and I'm thrilled to be wrong about him.

I hope he keeps proving me wrong too. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Finally got him some runs.  I think he looks good so far. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

They had to go through this though.  In the end, it is up to the owner to provide a payroll commensurate with the local market, but the Astros were rotten from top to bottom.  Dumping everyone, what little they had, and shooting for 50 wins, was 100% correct.

but Joey, didnt MLB give the Stros owners a king's ransom for switching leagues? they couldve at least signed someone/traded for a decent known player...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I wasn't real happy with the Dempster signing originally,but I don't hate him and I'm not going to bash him.I just thought he was over rated and overpaid.I figured him for about a 4.50 ERA if he had a good year,but his perfomances so far have exceeded my expectations and I'm thrilled to be wrong about him.

I hope he keeps proving me wrong too. 

you really cant hate on any pitcher signing because they are so key to success...and you can often catch lightening in a bottle by signing the right guy...hence my no barred support for getting grienke...what the worst that can happen? he could turn into dice K and give you a good year or two at the most important position...i think the only free agent pitcher signing i didnt understand was the Smoltz deal with his 3 month spring training allotment and pro rated contract for starts at his age...that was pretty dumb....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Actually, the Astros are a surprisingly good team.

Their record might be deciving, as they are 0-6 against Oakland.  But heading into yesterday's game, they had scored as many runs as the Tigers and Angels.  Had Dempster shut down either of thse teams, no one would be crying "inferior competition."

Unlike Miami, Houston did a smart job rebuilding and have put together a team with a very strong defense up the middle and around the infield in general (Altuve, Gonzalez and Dominguez could all win Gold Gloves at some point).  Offensively, they have found some decent castoffs and taken advantage.  Chris Carter being the most noteworthy.

They have a long ways to go, but this team is already much better than I expected them to be at any point this season...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Softy Law you haven't weighed in----calling Softy and Bill. RYAN DEMPSTER---lots of positive upbeaat comments about  Ryan D.--no one has complained about his two year contract. 

Very refreshing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wont see their comments either. Have them both on ignore. Actually tried to look at one of their posts and it wont let me "unignore" them...Maybe its a sign.

've also got a few on ignore and for laughs, I thought I'd unignore one of them to look and see.  The same thing happened to me.  I couldn't unignore...kind of funny, actually.

I'm not sure what's going on with the techies at BDC but I haven't been able to log off for days and once I put someone on IGNORE I can't unignore them. For a few days when I was on my online ID with the globe was incorrect as I was logged on as Idiots2004, Lloyd Dobler, etc among other but that seems to have benn straightened out.  

Hetch

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Their record might be deciving, as they are 0-6 against Oakland.  But heading into yesterday's game, they had scored as many runs as the Tigers and Angels.  Had Dempster shut down either of thse teams, no one would be crying "inferior competition."

Unlike Miami, Houston did a smart job rebuilding and have put together a team with a very strong defense up the middle and around the infield in general (Altuve, Gonzalez and Dominguez could all win Gold Gloves at some point).  Offensively, they have found some decent castoffs and taken advantage.  Chris Carter being the most noteworthy.

They have a long ways to go, but this team is already much better than I expected them to be at any point this season...

I think Miami has done an ingenious job of rebuilding.  Some it is injury, and some of it is under-performance, but How many of those guys are they going to miss?  If they could take back Hanley, Sanchez, Johnson, Buerlhe, Reyes, Bonafacio, and Buck, they'd still be in last.

Instead, they saved $71M this year, and are much better positioned to compete in 3 years.

They basically did the same thing we did.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hes looking better and better. If he keeps going like this, there will be a lot of crow being eaten on this forum.

It tastes like chicken.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think Miami has done an ingenious job of rebuilding.  Some it is injury, and some of it is under-performance, but How many of those guys are they going to miss?  If they could take back Hanley, Sanchez, Johnson, Buerlhe, Reyes, Bonafacio, and Buck, they'd still be in last.

Instead, they saved $71M this year, and are much better positioned to compete in 3 years.

Some of those guys did really look like deadweight last season, and they did net a lot of topflight prospects in return, one or two of whom might pan out.  Long term, Miami had to do better, since Houston made all their progress in MLB and did very little to build their borderline barren minor league system.  Their MLB team, while not good, is better than many realize.  And MLB is the level whre the money is made.  Defensively, they might be the best team in MLB, and are definitely in the argument.  MLB defense is not the exciting type of thing that brings in the fans, but does make for a better overall team.

To say the Marlins would be in last with these players is a bit of an assumption.  They might have been able to string together some wins like a lot of other early season surprises (Boston, the Mets) and looked like a competitive team.

The Marlins might have done some nice future things, but they are really hurting themselves by using Fernandez this season, and not only because of the years/control issue.  Also, their future is heavily dependant on whther or not they move Stanton this offseason when he becomes arbitration eligible.

Obviously, the real issue with the Marlins is that they had a firesale so soon after getting a tax-finded stadium.  There are very serious risks with dealing major leaguers to rebuild the farm is it rarely works out, and more often than not, you wind up with a cheap team and a steady stream of hope for the future.  Itr can work, and has in Miami.  When the Marlins sold off the 1997 team, they already won a title, and then dealt those players for some guys who were key in 2003.  But most of the time these teams that keep rebuilding their minor league system wind up with nothing more than an overhyped minor league system and a reduced MLB payroll.  And a lot of 60-70 win seasons...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Hey Moon,

Is that FRIED CHICKEN or EXTRA CRISPY.

Cheers, Hetch

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some of those guys did really look like deadweight last season, and they did net a lot of topflight prospects in return, one or two of whom might pan out.  Long term, Miami had to do better, since Houston made all their progress in MLB and did very little to build their borderline barren minor league system.  Their MLB team, while not good, is better than many realize.  And MLB is the level whre the money is made.  Defensively, they might be the best team in MLB, and are definitely in the argument.  MLB defense is not the exciting type of thing that brings in the fans, but does make for a better overall team.

To say the Marlins would be in last with these players is a bit of an assumption.  They might have been able to string together some wins like a lot of other early season surprises (Boston, the Mets) and looked like a competitive team.

The Marlins might have done some nice future things, but they are really hurting themselves by using Fernandez this season, and not only because of the years/control issue.  Also, their future is heavily dependant on whther or not they move Stanton this offseason when he becomes arbitration eligible.

Obviously, the real issue with the Marlins is that they had a firesale so soon after getting a tax-finded stadium.  There are very serious risks with dealing major leaguers to rebuild the farm is it rarely works out, and more often than not, you wind up with a cheap team and a steady stream of hope for the future.  Itr can work, and has in Miami.  When the Marlins sold off the 1997 team, they already won a title, and then dealt those players for some guys who were key in 2003.  But most of the time these teams that keep rebuilding their minor league system wind up with nothing more than an overhyped minor league system and a reduced MLB payroll.  And a lot of 60-70 win seasons...

The Twins used to be pretty good at building up to top contention, tearing it down, and repeating it again, but they have not been serious contenders in a long time.

The Rays are certainly the model team for small markets, despite what softy claims.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Hope the Dempster bashers are having a great morning.

Dempster doesn't enter the equation.  For the most part, the people dumping on Dempster also dump on most of our players.  Seriosly, check out any of the Dempster haters, and you'll find they probably hated the Vic signing, the Gomes signing, the Napoli signing, etc.

Not all of them mind you, there are still independent minds in here, but some of the 'fans' in here literally dislike every single player on the team.

You are overgeneralizing. There are a few people here who have nothing good to say about any of our players, but very few. Most like some of the players more than others and dislike a few. I still do not trust the Dempster signing and think Vic got one year too many for his contract; Napoli was  a very good signing and Gomes I am ambivalent about. I suspect most posters also have varied opinions as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Hey Moon,

Is that FRIED CHICKEN or EXTRA CRISPY.

Cheers, Hetch

I've had it many ways, but my favorite is in a casserole or like Roald Dahl's bird pie (see The Twits).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It tastes like chicken.

+1

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It tastes like chicken.

+1

It's not as bad as you might think, but I'm tired of having every night for dinner, and I'm running out of recipes.

Any suggestions?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It tastes like chicken.

+1

It's not as bad as you might think, but I'm tired of having every night for dinner, and I'm running out of recipes.

Any suggestions?

Theres a couple good ones here...Ive had to dine on it a few times myself ;)

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/466190-how-to-cook-crow/

http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/threecrows.htm