Ryan Hanigan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ryan Hanigan

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reds dont necessarily hold all the cards here. They already have their 2 starters going into 2014 with Mesoraco and newly signed Pena. So unless there are at least 2 or 3 teams that really realy really want him, I dont think you have to give up a guy like Betts or Swihart to get him.

I dont think a top 20 prospect is necessary to get him. Maybe even a BP arm or something. Reds would want to get rid of his 2-3M salary, so Im sure they are not holding out for a top prospect, and no team will give up one for him.

[/QUOTE]

The deadline to tender a contract to arb eligible players is Monday.  I don't know whether the Reds are in a roster crunch, but Hanigan's name has been tossed around as one who could be non-tendered, either to free up space on the 40 man roster or to save a little bit of money.

Hanigan could then be signed as a free agent.

[/QUOTE]

I bet thats exactly what Bens waiting for. hes sure to be non-tendered. This way we give up nothing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm wondering if the Reds would have any interest in Brentz.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt let that raw power go just yet. Not for a guy like Hanigan...No way.

[/QUOTE]

Are Sox fans so desperate for homegrown power they think Bryce Brentz is the answer?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would in a heartbeat.

[/QUOTE]

Wait until they non-tender him. Then we get him for just $$$

Personally, I dont give up raw power like that in todays baseball. Ill give it a littel more time to see ifg he can develop a bit. Like Middy. Not for a stop gap catcher either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are Sox fans so desperate for homegrown power they think Bryce Brentz is the answer?

[/QUOTE]

No, just simply would wait a little longer, or for a better player. Besides they might not have to give up anything for him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Bryce Brentz, who turns 25 next month, is coming off a season in which the outfielder posted a .264/.312/.475/.788 line with 20 walks (5.7%) and 86 strikeouts (24.6%) in 349 plate appearances at Triple A Pawtucket.

I've gotta think the Cincinnati Reds could receive a better offer for Ryan Hanigan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bryce Brentz, who turns 25 next month, is coming off a season in which the outfielder posted a .264/.312/.475/.788 line with 20 walks (5.7%) and 86 strikeouts (24.6%) in 349 plate appearances at Triple A Pawtucket.

I've gotta think the Cincinnati Reds could receive a better offer for Ryan Hanigan.

[/QUOTE]

It never fails. One poster says I offer too much, and another says not enough.

Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Brentz would have SOME appeal.  He has right-handed power and is close to the majors.  And cost appears to be a factor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Who knows what Brentz could do, if he learns to stop shooting himself in the leg?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The reds dont necessarily hold all the cards here. They already have their 2 starters going into 2014 with Mesoraco and newly signed Pena. So unless there are at least 2 or 3 teams that really realy really want him, I dont think you have to give up a guy like Betts or Swihart to get him.

I dont think a top 20 prospect is necessary to get him. Maybe even a BP arm or something. Reds would want to get rid of his 2-3M salary, so Im sure they are not holding out for a top prospect, and no team will give up one for him.

[/QUOTE]

The deadline to tender a contract to arb eligible players is Monday.  I don't know whether the Reds are in a roster crunch, but Hanigan's name has been tossed around as one who could be non-tendered, either to free up space on the 40 man roster or to save a little bit of money.

[/QUOTE]

I bet thats exactly what Bens waiting for. hes sure to be non-tendered. This way we give up nothing.

[/QUOTE]

The probably waiting until he is non-tendered is that he will cost more.  We give up no prospects, but there will be 28 other teams bidding on him.  It is similar to trade deadline waivers.  Many teams will see an available player, and decide to trade a minor piece for a player they want, rather than take a chance on not getting the player on a waiver claim.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

The probably waiting until he is non-tendered is that he will cost more.  We give up no prospects, but there will be 28 other teams bidding on him.  It is similar to trade deadline waivers.  Many teams will see an available player, and decide to trade a minor piece for a player they want, rather than take a chance on not getting the player on a waiver claim.

I agree.

Grab this guy up before it's too late.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats the key phrase. minor, someone not in our plans.

I just wouldnt give up a lot for a 33yo catcher who hasnt played more than 112 games one year. and that was the only time he played over 100 games in a year. No power, Ok BA, and good OBP and good D.

Although Brentz doesnt have the best approach at the plate, the 30HR power is enough to hold on to him. They did the same with Middy, who had a worse OBP throughout the minors than Brentz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I just wouldnt give up a lot for a 33yo catcher who hasnt played more than 112 games one year. and that was the only time he played over 100 games in a year. No power, Ok BA, and good OBP and good D.

Hanigan has played vs RHPs more than 4 to 1, but his numbers vs LHPs are much better:

650 PAs prorated:

vs LHPs  .276  13  66  (.393 OBP is awesome, especially for a catcher/ .394 SLG is nota great)

vs RHPs .258  6  53  (.349 OBP is still very good for a catcher/ .328 SLG is poor)

Since Ross hits RHPs equally as well as LHPs, playing Hanigan vs all LHPs and maybe about half the RHPs would improve his overall numbers, in theory.

His contract will be low which allows us to spend big at 1B and CF.

Besides, it's Hanigan's defense that is so attractive.

Although Brentz doesnt have the best approach at the plate, the 30HR power is enough to hold on to him. They did the same with Middy, who had a worse OBP throughout the minors than Brentz.

I'm not a big fan of Middy's low OBP, and Brentz has been slightly worse:

Brentz   Middy

MLB   n/a       .294

AAA  .305     .320

AA   .355     .345

A+ .336      .331

All    .330     .332

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The probably waiting until he is non-tendered is that he will cost more. We give up no prospects, but there will be 28 other teams bidding on him. It is similar to trade deadline waivers. Many teams will see an available player, and decide to trade a minor piece for a player they want, rather than take a chance on not getting the player on a waiver claim.

[/QUOTE]

IMO, this scenario fits the FO's MO from last offseason. So, he may cost a bit more in terms of dollars. Overpaying him a little in dollars on a 1 or 2 year deal is worth it over giving up a potentially good prospect. I don't think any team will be offering Hanigan a 3 year deal, so I don't think that the number of years will be a factor.

Even if the Sox end up overpaying a little, Hanigan will be considerably cheaper than Salty, and he won't end up blocking Vazquez or Swihart.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i don't see what is all the fuss about ryan hanigan? i'd take a.j. pierzynski over him any time..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierza.01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hanigry01.shtml

for 1 or 2 years i'm taking pierzynski...i feel he makes us better...and that's what we want to be better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i don't see what is all the fuss about ryan hanigan? i'd take a.j. pierzynski over him any time..

for 1 or 2 years i'm taking pierzynski...i feel he makes us better...and that's what we want to be better.

[/QUOTE]

Hes has rubbed a lot of players/coaches the wrong way on every team hes been on. No thatnks. he cant throw anyone out, doesnt have very good D, hes 37yo and his offensive numbers are heading south. sub 300OBP this year. No way..Pass on AJ.

But I agre on hanigan. I dont know what the big fuss is for. Why give up a good prospect, especially one with a ton of power potential, for this guy. Id wait until Monday when they non-tender him and just overpay him a little. He made 2.3M this year, how much could he possibly cost? 4M? so we pay 7-8M for both of our catchers. I can live with that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Hanigan has played vs RHPs more than 4 to 1, but his numbers vs LHPs are much better:

650 PAs prorated:

vs LHPs  .276  13  66  (.393 OBP is awesome, especially for a catcher/ .394 SLG is nota great)

vs RHPs .258  6  53  (.349 OBP is still very good for a catcher/ .328 SLG is poor)

Since Ross hits RHPs equally as well as LHPs, playing Hanigan vs all LHPs and maybe about half the RHPs would improve his overall numbers, in theory.

His contract will be low which allows us to spend big at 1B and CF.

Besides, it's Hanigan's defense that is so attractive.

Brentz   Middy

MLB   n/a       .294

AAA  .305     .320

AA   .355     .345

A+ .336      .331

All    .330     .332

[/QUOTE]

My point was Middy and Brentz have the same approach, but its their big power potential that the Sox like. Since all the PED stuff, there arent a lot of guys who can hit 30+HR. These 2 guys def have that potential. So, they are more the free swinger type. Thats ok with me. Personally, I dont mind a couple of them in the lineup. Keeps the pitchers on their toes. If both can have a 310-320OBP and around a 480+ SLG with 25-30HR and bunch of K's, Im good with that.

Bottom line. You dont give up raw power like that so quickly unless its for much better talent. Just my opinion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

On the other hand, Pierzynski insists he's not that bad a guy.

"Everybody wants a villain. Look at what LeBron James has gone through,'' Pierzynski said in 2012.

As a rule, opponents can't stand Pierzynski. Clean on the steroid issue, and not known to break written rules, he tramples the unwritten rules by running across the pitcher's mound after being retired at first base, and so on.

Pierzynski's intensity has led him to destroy equipment after making an out, but he has never destroyed a dugout phone, as David Ortiz has done. Some players say their opinions of Pierzynski improved dramatically after having him as a teammate.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2013/11/red_sox_hot_stove_would_team_c.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hes has rubbed a lot of players/coaches the wrong way on every team hes been on. No thatnks. he cant throw anyone out, doesnt have very good D, hes 37yo and his offensive numbers are heading south. sub 300OBP this year. No way..Pass on AJ.

But I agre on hanigan. I dont know what the big fuss is for. Why give up a good prospect, especially one with a ton of power potential, for this guy. Id wait until Monday when they non-tender him and just overpay him a little. He made 2.3M this year, how much could he possibly cost? 4M? so we pay 7-8M for both of our catchers. I can live with that.

[/QUOTE]

Is Brentz really a "good prospect"?  

He has decent power but poor plate discipline.  Comparisons to Middlebrooks might not carry yhe weight you think, and really, aren't good.  Since Brentz is only like 4 months younger and at least 2 years behind.

Middlebrooks undoubtedly carries more weight with the FO than eith me,  but how sold are they on a guy like Middlebrooks, but not as ready, not as young, and not a 3b?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He has decent power but poor plate discipline.  Comparisons to Middlebrooks might not carry yhe weight you think, and really, aren't good.  Since Brentz is only like 4 months younger and at least 2 years behind.

Middlebrooks undoubtedly carries more weight with the FO than eith me,  but how sold are they on a guy like Middlebrooks, but not as ready, not as young, and not a 3b?

[/QUOTE]

I would rank Middlebrooks inbetween 11-12 if he was still a prospect. And I rank Brentz 21st currently. I have Middlebrooks as being about twice as valuable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I'm probably not in Hanigan's camp as much as a lot of people here but I'd still trade Brentz for Hanigan in a heartbeat. I still can't believe the guy only makes $2 mil at this point in his career. It just shows that you need to play a lot in order to make much money.

Brentz is probably a 4th OF at best for his career. My bet is a short mlb career.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If you have heard Pierzynsky talk much on mlb network, he just comes off as a smart, know it all. A fast talking guy who thinks he's smart. And he may well be smarter than most of the guys in the league. I have no problem with him. I want a smart catcher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Brentz   Middy

MLB   n/a       .294

AAA  .305     .320

AA   .355     .345

A+ .336      .331

All    .330     .332

[/QUOTE]

My point was Middy and Brentz have the same approach, but its their big power potential that the Sox like. Since all the PED stuff, there arent a lot of guys who can hit 30+HR. These 2 guys def have that potential. So, they are more the free swinger type. Thats ok with me. Personally, I dont mind a couple of them in the lineup. Keeps the pitchers on their toes. If both can have a 310-320OBP and around a 480+ SLG with 25-30HR and bunch of K's, Im good with that.

Bottom line. You dont give up raw power like that so quickly unless its for much better talent. Just my opinion.

1) I'm not sure the Sox are 100% sold on Middy either, although he will be getting a long look in 2014.

2) Perhaps more than almost any other MLB team, the Sox value OBP and Pitches/PA.

3) Having 30 HR power in the minors does not always translate to the majors.

4) I'm not "giving up" on Brentz, and I think offering him for Hanigan shows I value him pretty highly.... maybe more than notin and others.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All Im saying is I wouldnt let them go so easily. If both can have around a 310-320OBP with 30HR, Im ok with that. We may just differ in what kind of player we will accept. I dont mind a couple free swingers that produce.

Brentz hit 19hr in 88 games last year. Hes a career 273 .330 .481 in MiL.
    I just dont let that go so easily as you and some others would. He may not be a perfect high obp 300 hitter, but he has proved he can produce at every level. We have no corner OF'er with true power besides Gomes, and hes gone after this year. I wouldnt say hes 2 years behind. not at all. He lost some of last year with his shooting incident and he went to college, unlike WMB. Id wait until at least the end of 2014 before I though about anything involving those 2.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

At the end of 2014, Brentz might be compeltely worthless, or a sought-after commodity ready to step in.  Obviously the former happens much more often withg prospects his age, but there is also  a vast greay area in between those 2 statuses.

The Sox certainly do have issues producing RHH power corner infielders and outfielders.  Before Middlebrooks, who was the last one?  Has there been another significant RHH power hitting corner player since Bagwell?  But if there is one area they are actually less productive in, it has to be catcher.  GRanted, big disadvantage, as teams only start one catcher at a time as opposed to four corner players, but really when you look how they draft, catcher is a problem.

Since Epstein took over as GM and right through Cherington, the team has drafted exactly three corner infielder or corner outfielder in the first two rounds - Brentz, Matt Murton and Hunter Morris (who did not sign).  They have also only drafted 2 catchers in that period - Jonathan Egan (2004 - washed out) and Swihart.   They typically draft up the middle, and move players around as they need.  So the corners are inherently negleted, but catcher should not be.  Yet somehow, who was the last catcher from the Sox farm system to catch 1,000 games in MLB?  Do we have to go back to Gedman for this?  (Hasty typing, no research,  Apologies.)

They have 2 good ones now they have hope for.  One or neither could pan out.  But this is a true position of weakness in the farm and has always been.

My expectations for Brentz are not so great that I think he is really worth keeping and rolling the dice on. 

However, I still think a Franklin Morales / Nick Hundley swap is a good and realisitic alternative.  Interestingly, Hundley was the last non-Hanigan to lead the NL in CS%.   Details as to why this deal makes sense for both teams are on another thread.  "Offseason Spolier II - Rotten to the Core."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

At the end of 2014, Brentz might be compeltely worthless, or a sought-after commodity ready to step in.  Obviously the former happens much more often withg prospects his age, but there is also  a vast greay area in between those 2 statuses.

The Sox certainly do have issues producing RHH power corner infielders and outfielders.  Before Middlebrooks, who was the last one?  Has there been another significant RHH power hitting corner player since Bagwell?  But if there is one area they are actually less productive in, it has to be catcher.  GRanted, big disadvantage, as teams only start one catcher at a time as opposed to four corner players, but really when you look how they draft, catcher is a problem.

Since Epstein took over as GM and right through Cherington, the team has drafted exactly three corner infielder or corner outfielder in the first two rounds - Brentz, Matt Murton and Hunter Morris (who did not sign).  They have also only drafted 2 catchers in that period - Jonathan Egan (2004 - washed out) and Swihart.   They typically draft up the middle, and move players around as they need.  So the corners are inherently negleted, but catcher should not be.  Yet somehow, who was the last catcher from the Sox farm system to catch 1,000 games in MLB?  Do we have to go back to Gedman for this?  (Hasty typing, no research,  Apologies.)

They have 2 good ones now they have hope for.  One or neither could pan out.  But this is a true position of weakness in the farm and has always been.

My expectations for Brentz are not so great that I think he is really worth keeping and rolling the dice on. 

However, I still think a Franklin Morales / Nick Hundley swap is a good and realisitic alternative.  Interestingly, Hundley was the last non-Hanigan to lead the NL in CS%.   Details as to why this deal makes sense for both teams are on another thread.  "Offseason Spolier II - Rotten to the Core."

[/QUOTE]

I like Hundley as well, but if we trade Dempster or Peavy, as I think we should and will, we will want Morales as our 6th starter.

On catching draftees, we did draft Denny with the 81st pick, Jordan Weems with the 111th pick in 2011, and 3 catchers in the top 9 rounds in 2008, but your point is well taken.

On Brentz, I think he will not pan out in the bigs. I could be wrong, but I'm fine with trading him while he still has value. I wouldn't hand him away, but I do think getting Hanigan or Hundley for him would be a nice trade for us.