Ryan Kalish reveals his recent shoulder surgery. Likely to miss first month of the season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Ryan Kalish reveals his recent shoulder surgery. Likely to miss first month of the season.

His recent shoulder surgery will keep him from playing at least the first month of the regular season.  Is Ben going to bring in one from the outside or will he take care of the issue internally?

I would think Sweeney is more like 4th OFer with great defensive glove.  Is Ben really going to strike big this time??  I'm curious about his next move..

Few scenarios internally:
    Sweeney and DMac share the role.
    Mike Aviles converts into OFer and platoon with Sweeney, Iggy backs up Scut

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Ryan Kalish reveals his recent shoulder surgery. Likely to miss first month of the season.

well that answers my question about his health :(

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Re: Ryan Kalish reveals his recent shoulder surgery. Likely to miss first month of the season.

I didn't understand why people were so sure he was going to be the right fielder. He has been hurt, misses most of last year and what has he really ever done?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he looked pretty good to me for a rookie in 2010...a lot better than Dmac, Bill Hall, JD, Cameron, Reddick, and all the other RF imposters we've had there the past three years

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Ryan Kalish reveals his recent shoulder surgery. Likely to miss first month of the season.:
    [QUOTE]His recent shoulder surgery will keep him from playing at least the first month of the regular season.  Is Ben going to bring in one from the outside or will he take care of the issue internally? I would think Sweeney is more like 4th OFer with great defensive glove.  Is Ben really going to strike big this time??  I'm curious about his next move.. Few scenarios internally: Sweeney and DMac share the role. Mike Aviles converts into OFer and platoon with Sweeney, Iggy backs up Scut
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Punto would back up scutaro...certainly not iggy.  Not sure that guy ever comes up unless he can hit at least 250 in AAA....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My guess is Sweeney/DMac.  I never thought Kalish was in the mix.  He missed too much time last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id like to see them get Cody Ross on a 2 yr deal

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Why did anyone assume Kalish was the starter and Sweeney the backup.  Sweeney is the best fielder this team has to play in RF now that Drew is gone.  And he has the proven capability to hit .290+ with 30 doubles and maybe 5-10 HRs and an OBP of .360.  He hits opposite field so those numbers may actually go up in Fenway.  He is a massive upgrade offensively to what RF produced last season.  And it is obvious that after a lost season, that Kalish had to prove A) that he was healthy, and B) that he has gotten his game back.  That is why Sweeney was part of the deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what were Kalish's numbers in 2010?  never mind i will post them myself..

GPABRH2B3BHRRBIBBSOSBCSAVGOBPSLGOPS

i dunno, translated over 140 games - looks better to me than Sweeney...if he is healthy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Why in the world did it take so long to have the surgery?  Don't understand that at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

I've been telling you people for months, that Kalish was in for a long rehab and no sure thing to start 2012.
    Now, they need a right handed bat, if Sweeney is the RF vs. righties. His nuumbers vs. left handed pitching are awful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Don't get me wrong, I like Kalish.  Glad Ben got to keep him over Reddick.  I expect once he is healthy he will be fighting for playing time.  But for the start of the year, Sweeney has to be the favorite to start.  He has hit .286 or better in 3 of the last four years, with OPS of .725 or better in 3 of 4, and his OBP has been .340 or better in every year he has had significant playing time.  He is bereft of HR power, but has shown doubles power and hits to the opposite field, which plays well in Fenway, and should help him hit lefties.  Other than the lack of HRs, he is an improvement over Reddick, IMO.  I expect him to start the season out as the primary RFer if he is not traded for another pitcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Please, please, please don't bring back Dmac. He sucks. Can' t hit, can't field and can't run the bases.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

so, who is Sweeney platooning with? 
    Cody Ross is not signing to play 30% of the games, it's gonna be someone like Ryan Spilborghs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Kalish reveals his recent shoulder surgery. Likely to miss first month of the season.:
    [QUOTE]Why did anyone assume Kalish was the starter and Sweeney the backup.  Sweeney is the best fielder this team has to play in RF now that Drew is gone.  And he has the proven capability to hit .290+ with 30 doubles and maybe 5-10 HRs and an OBP of .360.  He hits opposite field so those numbers may actually go up in Fenway.  He is a massive upgrade offensively to what RF produced last season.  And it is obvious that after a lost season, that Kalish had to prove A) that he was healthy, and B) that he has gotten his game back.  That is why Sweeney was part of the deal.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Our RF problem 2011 season wasn't the defense.  All of our RFers  lacked offensive production.  That's why Sox are trying to add RHB with power.  It seems Sweeney never was an offensive OFer at all.  He's a type of player who gets to see playing time only against right handed pitchers, and that's only when starting RFer having problem with righties. or late inning defense replacement.  I doubt Ben would give Sweeney fulltime/starting RFer job.  Ben will sign/trade one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If they have enough confidence in Kalish (when he returns) then I'm sure they will go with a McDonald/Sweeney platoon for the first 2.5 months of the season....what they do the rest of the offseason in the outfield may be VERY telling of how much confidence they have in Kalish.