Sad, but Daniel Bard may be done ala Rick Ankiel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

Re: Sad, but Daniel Bard may be done ala Rick Ankiel

Heck, Beckett has been sucking for the past two years and they continue to run him out there on the field. I imagine Beckett would still have his issues even while playing in Pawtucket.

I wouldnt shut Bard down as he is not truly hurting anything continuing to blow with the Paw Sox. Perhaps he will get lucky and find his groove again. If not, he has the Summer to work on things. If he is not physically hurting, let him pitch to gain the experience if anything. Sometimes you have to reach rock bottom before you can build-up. While he is sucking, I dont think he has reached rock bottom yet (mighty close though).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

And let us not forget the Front Office decision to jettison Wakefield like a used Kleenex, thus opening a need for another starter, which they wern't going to go out and find so Bard HAD to get moved....

If Wake had pitched and gotten his ...what, 8? wins....and Bard had been the set up guy in the eighth......couldn't you see us 3 or 4 games batter than now, and what a world of difference that would make at this point.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Sad, but Daniel Bard may be done ala Rick Ankiel:
    [QUOTE]While I hated to lose Bard as a reliever, I supported the decision to try Bard as a starter.  The decision, had it worked, would have great long term benefits for the team in addition to helping out this year's team.  Relievers are much easier to find than good starting pitchers. I think Bard's struggles began last year, and are not completely the result of converting him to a starter.  I'm not sure he would have had the same success out of the BP this year that he's had in the past. Also, I think ideally Bard should have had some time to develop as a starter in AAA instead of being expected to figure it out in the big leagues.  Not practical maybe, but it might have helped.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Good post.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]And let us not forget the Front Office decision to jettison Wakefield like a used Kleenex, thus opening a need for another starter, which they wern't going to go out and find so Bard HAD to get moved.... If Wake had pitched and gotten his ...what, 8? wins....and Bard had been the set up guy in the eighth......couldn't you see us 3 or 4 games batter than now, and what a world of difference that would make at this point.......
    Posted by Tropical-Nation[/QUOTE]

Giving Wake 8 wins is a tad generous, and the Sox still could have used Bard as a starter, and put Doubrount in the bull-pen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]I think it is too simplistic to blame all his problems on his being converted to a starter. There has to be more to it than that. A drop in velocity and a complete loss of control. Has to be a problem physically , mentally or both.  I would shut him down and send him to Florida to start from scratch.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He should have been shut down a month ago.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Heck, Beckett has been sucking for the past two years 

Dude, you need to start following BB, maybe even the RS.  He the #2 SP in BB until he slipped off the mound in TO last September.  Even a casual BB knows that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sad, but Daniel Bard may be done ala Rick Ankiel : I would say that there is something wrong with trying.  I had no problem with them making the attempt, but I think the safer route would've been to trade him for value.  There would've been at least a couple of teams that would've thought to make a closer out of him.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Not sure how much value an 8th inning guy would have on the market, but if we could have received value for him in terms of SP then sure, go for it. Keeping him as an 8th inning guy was also a decent alternative, or even a closer. What I am saying is that there were many options available. The one with the highest potential return was to make him a SP where, if the conversion were successful, the rewards could be very good. I had no problem with any of it until, when it became obvious that the experiment was not working, they kept trying it way too long. The new delivery simply did not work. Of all the mistakes our FO made with this team, IMO the only error with Bard was to wait too long before pulling him out of the rotation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Everyone here knows I saw this coming a mile away. 

Terrible decision from the get-go.  I remember I got a good degree of slack for saying it was a stupid move this winter too.

Oh well.  It's OK.  It never gets boring being right.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"Cheri bomb!"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sad, but Daniel Bard may be done ala Rick Ankiel : Wrong, not all on BC only half. The other half belongs with Bard, he wanted to go back to being a starter as he was all through college. We went down this road with him in the minors as a starter and it was a disaster. He should've been kept a reliever.
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

You are right.  He wasn't a good starter when he was a minor league pitcher.  Why would he think it would be different now?  He definitely should have remained in the bullpen.  He might have also been given a chance as the closer if he had remained in the bullpen.  It would have been much better for the Red Sox and Bard this season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Moving him to a starter may be the dumbest move of the year by him and the team.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Yup

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I always got an uneasy feeling when Bard entered a game as a reliever so I wasn't much of a fan of moving him too a starter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]And let us not forget the Front Office decision to jettison Wakefield like a used Kleenex, thus opening a need for another starter, which they wern't going to go out and find so Bard HAD to get moved.... If Wake had pitched and gotten his ...what, 8? wins....and Bard had been the set up guy in the eighth......couldn't you see us 3 or 4 games batter than now, and what a world of difference that would make at this point.......
    Posted by Tropical-Nation[/QUOTE]

Wake with 8 wins? Ha. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Exactly.  He ALREADY got his big chance to be a starter years ago when he was first signed and he failed.  He second chance - to save his career - was as a Reliever. 

Now, we are on his FOURTH chance.........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Nothing like the Rick Ankiel situation. You have to go all the way back to the ruination of Dick Radatz to find a similarity. Of course Radatz was 10 times the pitcher Bard ever was, but they both hit the skids when they were asked to change their entire style of pitching.

For those who have no idea who Radatz was? Well, he was the most dominant relief pitcher in baseball until (believe it or not) Ted Williams suggested he add another pitch to his 100 mph fastball. He was never the same; still threw 100 mph, but had no idea in the world where it was going!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Bard's implosion began last Sept.  Starting hasn't much to do with it, doubt has crept into his psyche.  The dude needs a sports psychologist.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Bard's implosion began last Sept.  Starting hasn't much to do with it, doubt has crept into his psyche.  The dude needs a sports psychologist.
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

Bard's September velocity was about the same as April, but take a look at this year compared to last September and last April...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sad, but Daniel Bard may be done ala Rick Ankiel : I disagree Stan.  It is 100% BC fault.  It was tried in the minors and was a disaster. The major leagues is no place to experiment again.  Total fault belongs to management, the players are paid to do as they are told and perform at their optimum level.  He should have slid into he closer roll and Aceves should have been the starter.  Again enabling the high draft picks and ignoring the facts.
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

Really? Tell that to Franklin Morales. He had the same control problems that Bard had when he first started his professional career as a starter, thus a move to the bullpen for FM. BV decided to give him a shot again and it worked. All while playing with the big club.
    I'll agree that they should have given Bard some long relief and then a spot start or 2 before they just decided that he was a starter, like they did with FM. So your statement could be argued with valid points.