Saltalamacchia or McCann?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Saltalamacchia or McCann?

Finn's article today asks which of these two free agent catchers is a better fit for the Red Sox moving forward.

My thoughts tend to go toward Saltalamacchia ALL THE WAY and 100% in this discussion.

Finn mentions McCann's hitting decline in recent years, his best years were 2006 and 2008 which makes 2006 and 2008 eight and six years ago at this point, his very similar throwing out base stealers to Saltalamacchia, the fact that his cost is going to be quite a bit more per year and even for more years.  With all of that said, Saltalamacchia is about a year younger as well.

BUT, in my opinion, the big reason to bring him back rather than sign McCann is that Saltalamacchia is a RED SOX.  Has been for 4+ years, was a huge part of winning this season, has improved constantly since arriving from Texas, knows the Sox pitchers, the pitchers like him, he will most likely continue to improve at least for a few more years, has already learned how to play first base if his body starts to give out on him, etc, etc. 

And, he does not cost a draft pick either so please, Ben, make far more calls to Saltalamacchia than to any other free agent catcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Saltalamacchia or McCann?

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Finn's article today asks which of these two free agent catchers is a better fit for the Red Sox moving forward.

My thoughts tend to go toward Saltalamacchia ALL THE WAY and 100% in this discussion.

Finn mentions McCann's hitting decline in recent years, his best years were 2006 and 2008 which makes 2006 and 2008 eight and six years ago at this point, his very similar throwing out base stealers to Saltalamacchia, the fact that his cost is going to be quite a bit more per year and even for more years.  With all of that said, Saltalamacchia is about a year younger as well.

BUT, in my opinion, the big reason to bring him back rather than sign McCann is that Saltalamacchia is a RED SOX.  Has been for 4+ years, was a huge part of winning this season, has improved constantly since arriving from Texas, knows the Sox pitchers, the pitchers like him, he will most likely continue to improve at least for a few more years, has already learned how to play first base if his body starts to give out on him, etc, etc. 

And, he does not cost a draft pick either so please, Ben, make far more calls to Saltalamacchia than to any other free agent catcher.

[/QUOTE]

keep Salty and give prospects more time...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

Quite frankly, this is a non-question. Saltalamacchia is a better hitter than McCann now, not a significantly worse fielder, a year younger, and won't cost us a draft pick. If Cherington doesn't see this...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Neither.  Sign Ruiz or Hanigan for two years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

keep Salty and give prospects more time...

[/QUOTE]

+1 Agreed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I like Salty,Ruiz, and AJ for the catching spot over McCann... With contracts ranging from 1-3 years.. 3 years for the younger salty and 1-2 years for the older ruiz and AJ. All contracts short enough to avoid blocking catching prospects like Vazquez and others.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DAD, BILL-806 & BEN have decided to pass on both .....  We have other options, younger & $heaper !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Salty because of his familiarity with the staff.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

At $14.7M Salty is no longer a decent value.  His OBP & D is a killer.  If the sox are prepared to dump that kind of money, we might as well go a few M more per year and secure an excellent catcher, with HOF OBP, slugging, & OPS, who can really make us strong up the middle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

McCann at 5/80 or 6/90 if Salty is getting 5/50 or 4/44

Salty at 3/30 or 4/36 if McCann is getting 5/90 or 6/102

If they are both getting those monster deals 6/102 for McCann or 5/50 for Salty, I still take McCann, but strongly consider Pierzynski at 2/12 or 1/7.5.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DAD, BILL-806 & BEN have decided to pass on both .....  We have other options, younger & $heaper !!!!

[/QUOTE]
    Is Lavarnaway still the next Fisk???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hanigan is not a free agent, but is the canddiate I like best.  Franklin Morales for Hanigan, and move on to the next position of need...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Well, I don't know who Hanigan is, so I can't make a comment about him, except to say I don't know who Hanigan is, which, I guess is a comment about him.

I love Salty, but I don't believe he's the best catcher, in defense or calling games. I love that he can get up to bat and smack one, but that's not the most important thing IMO in a catcher. And he does know the pitchers, but how well does that always work out? IMO the back-up catcher, recovering from an injury was a better catcher for the pitchers.

I like the fact that Ross is good friends with McCann, and has worked well with him in the past. I also like the fact that I have heard McCann's name thrown around for years, and he's not even in the American League.

I don't want teams running all over the field because Salty is behind the plate. That's a big deal. It puts runners in scoring position, exactly where I don't want them.

And, yes, that is the way I sometimes analyze baseball. But, I was the one who wanted Victorino on this team before it was a thought in anyone's head, and before he was even available. So there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Something like this will be the way to go, I think. However, if forced to choose between Salty and McCann, I would want Salty.