Salty had a play at third and made an accurate throw

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Salty had a play at third and made an accurate throw

Embedded image permalink

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 10h

Bottom line: The throw to third is ill-advised. Better to let Koji face Kozma with 2 outs. #redsox

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

10h

Craig went back to 2B initially then broke for third. #RedSox did have a play at 3B maybe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Salty had a play at third and made an accurate throw

The ball's not there, the player's not there..... ehhhhhhhh. 

For sure it's a throw that Middy should have at least stopped, but it would have taken a PERFECT throw to get the runner.  This throw was ~3' toward 2B which may have been too far off the base to allow Middy to make the taga before the runner got to the base with his foot.

Not a bad throw, but not a perfect one.  But I don't fault Salty for throwing it.  If a player doesn't believe he can make the necessary throw he shouldn't be playing.  Salty believed he could - and he frequently has - but this time he didn't.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The ball popped out of Will Middlebrooks's glove as he tried to get the Cardinals' Allen Craig out at third base.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

An obstruction call on Middlebrooks cost the Red Sox a lead in the World Series.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Craig scored the winning run for the Cardinals' 5-4 victory in Game 3.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Craig appeared to be out at home plate, but the umpire called him safe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The Red Sox reacted to the controversial call.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The loss is sure to go down in history.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The World Series will stay in St. Louis for the next two games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Red Sox manager John Farrell argued the call as the Red Sox walked off the field in shock.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Executive vice president of baseball operations Joe Torre and the umpires addressed the media about the call.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pottedplant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty had no play at 3rd, runner was on the base and beat the ball even if it was thrown closer to the bag. 2nd stupidity throw to 3rd, with 2 outs and the game tied. Blaming Middlebrooks is pitiful, the throw was way wide and Middlebrooks only mistake was in not coming off bag to stop the stupid and wide throw.  

[/QUOTE]

He did have a potential play. Craig went back to second initially, then broke for third. Reactionary play

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Salty had better chance without the throw to 3rd, just as Bres had in game 2.

2 games lost due to ill advised throws that went past the fielder to cough up the game winning runs.

Those two throws to 3rd could be the difference betweeen Sox being 3-0 and 1-2 in the series.

Well, If Sox can find a win today, they are back in the series with good chance to win it all.  Hopefully this gives them the motivation to play better, with more focus.  The room for errors continue to get smaller with Sox falling behind.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pottedplant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty had no play at 3rd, runner was on the base and beat the ball even if it was thrown closer to the bag. 2nd stupidity throw to 3rd, with 2 outs and the game tied. Blaming Middlebrooks is pitiful, the throw was way wide and Middlebrooks only mistake was in not coming off bag to stop the stupid and wide throw.  

[/QUOTE]

He did have a potential play. Craig went back to second initially, then broke for third. Reactionary play

[/QUOTE]

You photo sequence seems to indicate that Craig was on the bag before the throw got to Middlebrooks-who couldn't get to the ball because Craig was in the way, which is legal for a baserunner trying to reach the base within the basepaths. Bottom line: that throw should not have been made unless Salty was certain he had the runner. Mistakes like that are killing this team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

The ball popped out of Will Middlebrooks's glove as he tried to get the Cardinals' Allen Craig out at third base.

[/QUOTE]

This contradicts your thread title.  Guy is on the bag and the ball still hasn't reached Middy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Salty should have put it in his pocket but there were a lot of 'should haves' to go around.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

Middlesucks shouldn't have let that ball past him. And if he was a decent defender Hollidays 2 run hit wouldn't have got past him. He's muck

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

MIn response to CatfishHunter's comment:

This contradicts your thread title.  Guy is on the bag and the ball still hasn't reached Middy.

My understaning is, Salty's decision to make the throw, was when Craig went back to second initially, then broke for third. Was the throw ill advised, yes. I can't blame him for being aggressive and trying to make a potentially great play, to end the inning. If the play was successful, everyone would be singing his praises today. Can't blame WMB for diving to attempt to keep the ball from getting to the outfield.  There was alot going on in the play and was unfortunate, to say the least. My hope is the team will be fired up and it is the turning point of the series

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

I'm still trying to figure why either WMB and Salty are in the game. Both still hitting .000. Ross doesn't throw the season, I mean ball, away. To the pine, boys.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

More and more I looked at these pictures, I think Middlebrook did the right thing.  He lifted his legs up to clear the path for the runner to run home.  But instead the runner stepped off the bag ran and spun around toward to second to third base path before heading home.  So I do now think it is not an obstruction call right there.  I would do the samething by lifting my legs up to clear the path for the runner to advance home.

I may now started to think it is a bad call.  Of course the play happen so fast and it is hard for umpires to see what had happen in that area.