Salty must go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Salty must go

He does nothing but hit.

We can't have that, because his name isn't Varitek.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Re: Salty must go

It is sarcam, just saying, Tek  lovers, were  Fisk lovers. Much like myself,  it's sarcasm that the past doesn't live forever.We all must move on, Salty is the man now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i like salty. but with lavarnway looking for a way in i could live with dealing him for another BP arm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Salty must go:
    [QUOTE]He does nothing but hit. We can't have that, because his name isn't Varitek.
    Posted by tbs2007[/QUOTE]

Even though he had a HR, you might be a little hard pressed to sell him as someone who "does nothing but hit."  He's been a streak hitter, at best.

However, the Sox can live without premier offense at every position, and anyone who believes Lavarnway is going to step in and hit in this league like he owns it is probably in for disappointment, at least in the short term.

Catcher is not the problem here. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Trade him while he's hitting for a quality bp arm, plus we get Lava at catch, great deal!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even though he had a HR, you might be a little hard pressed to sell him as someone who "does nothing but hit."  He's been a streak hitter, at best.

Even though he is streaky, he is still a better hitter than most MLB starting catchers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Salty must go:
    [QUOTE]Trade him while he's hitting for a quality bp arm, plus we get Lava at catch, great deal!
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

This past winter, I said we should trade Salty and Scooty. Their stock was as high as it would ever be at that point, and their replacements are equal or better and younger with more upside.

Most laughed at me. Now, my bandwagon is filling up fast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

We've seen Lavarnwy, he isn't that good. Do we really wan't to take another step down to a future Willy Mo Pena?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Salty is nothing more then a streaky hitter who is a capable backup catcher. If I had my way I would have him as the number two and have Lavarnway as my number one. I don't think Lavarnway is that much behind Salty. I do not dislike Salty though but I recognise he is not a #1.
    Tek was a catcher who was able to stay beyond his offensively decent years due to his ability to call a game and handle pitchers. He was a pitching coach that played the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Don't be ridiculous.  Lavarnway is no Wily Mo.  Lavarnway can already throw the ball back to the pitcher much more confidently.  It's not like he lets up PBs every other pitch.  And there may be no catcher in the AL that calls a poorer game than Salty right now.  Just check out the team ERAs. 

Moon, how does it break down between Salty and Shoppach?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The team's record when Salty starts is now 50-61.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Salty must go:
    [QUOTE]He does nothing but hit. We can't have that, because his name isn't Varitek.

The Sox need a catcher who proudly wears a "C" on his chest, one who can't throw out runners and fights with his mask on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Even though he had a HR, you might be a little hard pressed to sell him as someone who "does nothing but hit."  He's been a streak hitter, at best. Even though he is streaky, he is still a better hitter than most MLB starting catchers.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Love that term, streak hitter. It's thrown out there as a defining label, but has no real definition. It's also used as perjorative, yet, when a guy is known to "get hot and carry a team for a month" that's a good thing. Let's start with the assumption that someone is a streak hitter, that would mean wild fluctuations in batting average right?? We would see many multi hit games and many games with 0 hits, yes? Where do you draw the line though? I remember Dobber got that label, but how do you prove it? Her's how it looked for 2011:
                 No Hits game %         Multi hit game %       Games played
    Salty          .417                            .203                           103
    Youk          .366                            .233                           120
    Scut           .345                           .300                            113
    Ortiz          .335                            .349                           146
    Pedroia      .251                            .352                           159
    A-Gon       .258                             .415                           159
    Ells           .183                             .373                           158

The chart shows Salty had the greatest percentage of zero hit games, but also the lowest percentage of multi hit games, hardly meeting the definition of a streak hitter. Special considerration ought to be given to batting order position, the lower the position the less AB's, and the less AB's the fewer opportunities to get an additional hit. The leaders in multi hit games, not surprisingly hit at the top of the order and had way more AB's than Salty...more than 300 Plate appearance more. Perhaps "streak" hitter is just a perception, a trick played on the mind by the brain, which just can't hold all the data in real time. Perhaps my definition is bad, if so, do you have a better one?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

How can you hit a homerun off of a ball like that??? from yesterday's game against Twins...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty must go :  Love that term, streak hitter. It's thrown out there as a defining label, but has no real definition. It's also used as perjorative, yet, when a guy is known to "get hot and carry a team for a month" that's a good thing. Let's start with the assumption that someone is a streak hitter, that would mean wild fluctuations in batting average right?? We would see many multi hit games and many games with 0 hits, yes? Where do you draw the line though? I remember Dobber got that label, but how do you prove it? Her's how it looked for 2011:              No Hits game %         Multi hit game %       Games played Salty          .417                            .203                           103 Youk          .366                            .233                           120 Scut           .345                           .300                            113 Ortiz          .335                            .349                           146 Pedroia      .251                            .352                           159 A-Gon       .258                             .415                           159 Ells           .183                             .373                           158   The chart shows Salty had the greatest percentage of zero hit games, but also the lowest percentage of multi hit games, hardly meeting the definition of a streak hitter. Special considerration ought to be given to batting order position, the lower the position the less AB's, and the less AB's the fewer opportunities to get an additional hit. The leaders in multi hit games, not surprisingly hit at the top of the order and had way more AB's than Salty...more than 300 Plate appearance more. Perhaps "streak" hitter is just a perception, a trick played on the mind by the brain, which just can't hold all the data in real time. Perhaps my definition is bad, if so, do you have a better one?
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

This is a bit misleading.  You pointed out oneflaw in the analysis, also all the players you show had higher batting averages than Salty.  All except youk were at least 60 points higher in average.  Higher avg obviously means they will have fewer no hit and more multi hit games. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty must go : This is a bit misleading.  You pointed out oneflaw in the analysis, also all the players you show had higher batting averages than Salty.  All except youk were at least 60 points higher in average.  Higher avg obviously means they will have fewer no hit and more multi hit games. 
    Posted by greenwellforpresident[/QUOTE]

You are correct Green, but that further supports Youk's premise that Salty is not as much of a streak hitter as is assumed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty must go : You are correct Green, but that further supports Youk's premise that Salty is not as much of a streak hitter as is assumed.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

How is that?  It helps explain why he has the highest 0 hit %, and the lowest multi-hit %, one of which indicates a streak hitter, one doesn't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

The next Carlton Fisk , is waiting in the wings !!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]We've seen Lavarnwy, he isn't that good. Do we really wan't to take another step down to a future Willy Mo Pena?

Are you seriously basing your opinion of just 43 PAs in 2011? By the way, his .738 OPS in those 43 PAs was better than the team catcher OPS last year (.737).

How about his .895 minor league OPS, including .971 in AAA?
    How about his 40 HR and 40 2Bs pace in AAA?

How about the fact that nobody calls a worse game than Salty?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty must go : How is that?  It helps explain why he has the highest 0 hit %, and the lowest multi-hit %, one of which indicates a streak hitter, one doesn't.
    Posted by greenwellforpresident[/QUOTE]

Because 0 hits is the negative end of the "streaky" spectrum, whereas 1 hit is not the other end, it's somewhere in the middle.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty must go : Because 0 hits is the negative end of the "streaky" spectrum, whereas 1 hit is not the other end, it's somewhere in the middle.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Where are you getting 1 from, it was % games with 0 hits and % games with multiple hits

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty must go : This past winter, I said we should trade Salty and Scooty. Their stock was as high as it would ever be at that point, and their replacements are equal or better and younger with more upside. Most laughed at me. Now, my bandwagon is filling up fast.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon, while it is a reasonable assertion that Scutaro's value was as high as it ever would be, it is conjecture to say that Salty was at all-time high value.  Despite his tailspin at the end of the year, Salty had his first solid year in the bigs in 2011.  It is a reasonable assumption that he is still on the upcurve of his development and that he might improve in 2011.  Of course you can take a guess, based on his streakiness, his physical make-up, his perceived mental make-up, that he might bust this year and that will be that for the multi-club Jarrod experiment.  But that seems like a bit more of a reach than to assume he will grow from last year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Is it too late for Saltalamacchia to experiment with different swings for different situations ? He seems to go all or nothing, swing for the fences, in every at bat.
    Wha about choking up or staying inside and opposite-fielding it smetimes ?
    That long power stroke seems to leave him vulnerable to outside FB and stuff on the hands.

Heck, Rod Carew had entire different stances for various pitch counts, let alone at bats.
    When Salty's hitting doubles and homers in bunches , it works. But dry stretches abound.