Salty pullin a Pedey???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Salty pullin a Pedey???

:)

I have to say....  I was really doggin on this kid the first month+.....  just as I did with Pedey his 1st year....

I have to admit.....  The kid is definitely showing signs of life!!!  :)

I'm actually not sorry to see him in the game anymore :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: Salty pullin a Pedey???

Nice post.  Salty looks really comfortable now.  That's what its all about, IMO.  Patience works sometimes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

Sad. Impatient posters bother me but then everybody has a right to root like they wish to.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I know it's hard, but you really need to have patience in baseball. You just see it too often where a guy with a slow start ends up with incredible numbers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He has historically been mainly a LH dominant hitter but it seems like his RH stance is where he is doing a lot better now. Hopefully as he keeps getting a lot of AB he will keep improving.

I'm starting to see why they liked him as a project. He slams the ball over the wall or against the wall RH and he also has a LF stroke when he hits LH. Still needs a lot of work LH to me though.

Salty Naysayer in Chief starting to see some progress!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey???:
    [QUOTE]Sad. Impatient posters bother me but then everybody has a right to root like they wish to.
    Posted by Babe-Ted[/QUOTE]

Babe,  You're a Yankee fan???  Not that it matters....  BUT!  If you're telling me you had no reservations about Salty, then you must be one really patient fan.... Of course, one can afford to be overly patient when watching the competition?
    Have you been this patient with Posada? etc. on the Yankees?  The thing with Salty was that his whole game seemed to be effecting the team???  Although, everything was going wrong that first month, so every little mistake the guy was making got magnified...  I was more frustrated that the Sox put him in that position to begin with... Too young & inexperienced to take on that role, at that time....  Going to Tek more often has certainly taken a lot of the heat off the kid!  Exactly what I was calling for.

Just curious?  You actually seem like a pretty decent guy from what I've read on here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

How many people wanted to trade Clay straight up for Salty 2 years ago? I know no one will own up to it now, but I seem to remember a lot of people calling for that trade. Salty's now starting to show us why so many people were clamoring for that trade. I'm just glad Theo got him for a rosin bag, and hope that he lives up to his potential.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Salty pullin a Pedey???:
    [QUOTE]:) I have to say....  I was really doggin on this kid the first month+.....  just as I did with Pedey his 1st year.... I have to admit.....  The kid is definitely showing signs of life!!!  :) I'm actually not sorry to see him in the game anymore :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Time can be a wonderful teacher - for those willing to learn.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]How many people wanted to trade Clay straight up for Salty 2 years ago? I know no one will own up to it now, but I seem to remember a lot of people calling for that trade. Salty's now starting to show us why so many people were clamoring for that trade. I'm just glad Theo got him for a rosin bag, and hope that he lives up to his potential.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Out in Oregon & pretty busy at the time.. Missed the calls to trade Buch for Salty???  Wow!  Seriously??  Now that's pretty funny :)

Anyway....  Glad the kid's looking so much better!  If he can improve on keeping guys on 1st (with THE PITCHERS), & work on his throwing......  the kid just might have some real potential :)

THINGS ARE DEFINITELY LOOKING UP :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

7 for his last 18 with 3 HRs and a 2B.

An RBI in 4 straight games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I've been skeptical about Salty, but nothing pleases me more than seeing him start to heat up. Like with Pedroia four years ago, I hope it continues!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Go Salty!  So happy he's doing so well. And I can't imagine a better mentor than Varitek for any new catcher.  He hit the lottery on that one. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Salty likes the inter-league diet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

the beauty here is that Boston dont need him to hit like that, its just a very cool bonus

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Salty has had lots of problems, for one he couldn't throw the baseball back to the pitcher, we haven't seen that, yet. Hopefully we won't.
     He has an eminence amount of talent, big , strong, young, good arm, lots of power. Can't miss prospect? Well we will see.

Right now he is the best hitting catcher in MLB, may be only for a short time, but hey, at least he shows great potential. It's not like he is on $142 million for 7 years , like you know who.

Here's to salty, keep up the good work.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Through the first few weeks, he had nothing going for him.  The pitchers were getting shelled and he couldn't buy a hit.

The staff started getting used to him but the offense never came.

Now ever since that Yankees series this guy is really starting to pick things up.  The pop is really great to see.  We all knew that he had it at one time and his last few HR's have been crushed. 

He seems like a hard working likeable guy.  You have to feel happy for him.  I think we can start putting away the talk of Bengie Molina, Ryan Doumit etc. etc.  Salty is here to stay, at least for 2011.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Babe,  You're a Yankee fan???  Not that it matters....  BUT!  If you're telling me you had no reservations about Salty, then you must be one really patient fan.... Of course, one can afford to be overly patient when watching the competition? Have you been this patient with Posada? etc. on the Yankees?  The thing with Salty was that his whole game seemed to be effecting the team???  Although, everything was going wrong that first month, so every little mistake the guy was making got magnified...  I was more frustrated that the Sox put him in that position to begin with... Too young & inexperienced to take on that role, at that time....  Going to Tek more often has certainly taken a lot of the heat off the kid!  Exactly what I was calling for. Just curious?  You actually seem like a pretty decent guy from what I've read on here.
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Before the season even began, I've been preaching to give him the WHOLE YEAR. You have to give this kid some slack, let him know he's not going to AAA, and see if he could build a little confidence and start to meet that potential. That's common practice for such a highly touted prospect. The Rangers never let him have the job without looking over his shoulder, and that has to effect a player, especially a young, unproven one.

I'm glad he's stating to put it together, you can just tell by the way he swings now, even on misses, that he's batting with a TON of confidence compared to earlier in the year. He's looking to drive the ball, not just hoping the bat hits it.

As for his defense...when did Sox fans become so obsessed with cathing D? Was it when the sox under Kerrigan didn't even worry about base runners? Was it after Tek broke his arm and went from being average, to below average? Longing for the 80s when the Sox had a long line of forgettable catchers? I just don't get it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

while i don't think he'll wind up with DP numbers...he'll probably get  better...i give him credit for still being here despite the road traveled..despite it all, still on right side of 30...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

LOL...hysterical. The members of the rfn in here claim that Russel Martin after a hot start that he would cool off and go back to his numbers of the past few years.

Yet salty puts together a nice few games and he has "turned the corner".

All this despite the fact that we have seen some pretty darn good years from Martin before the injuries and what we have seen year to date from salty is about on par with what he has always been since he got to the majors.

Classic rfn spin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

aussie, why don't you make your last line your permanent tagline?  You keep typing it.  You know who has 3 walkoffs in big spots despite struggling?  That's being mentally strong.  We he is rolling I'm sure you will slink away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

"The members of the rfn in here claim that Russel Martin after a hot start that he would cool off and go back to his numbers of the past few years."

Uhh, hasn't he? After an amazing April with a .975 OPS he's cooled off in May with a .758 OPS.

Oh and Martin is on a 1-yr deal, so it will be interesting to see what they do with him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]LOL...hysterical. The members of the rfn in here claim that Russel Martin after a hot start that he would cool off and go back to his numbers of the past few years. Yet salty puts together a nice few games and he has "turned the corner". All this despite the fact that we have seen some pretty darn good years from Martin before the injuries and what we have seen year to date from salty is about on par with what he has always been since he got to the majors. Classic rfn spin.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1[/QUOTE]

Ok, your right..Martin HAS cooled down and salty HAS heated up..whats the issue..sounds like facts to me..Martin already "turned the corner" a few years ago..salty, at 26, has just turned a very long corner..Its good to finally see, and you call it spin? That, my friend, is your yankee "spin"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Ok, your right..Martin HAS cooled down and salty HAS heated up..whats the issue..sounds like facts to me..Martin already "turned the corner" a few years ago..salty, at 26, has just turned a very long corner..Its good to finally see, and you call it spin? That, my friend, is your yankee "spin"

Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Yes, Martin has "cooled" from hitting .350 earlier in the year, but I don't think anyone expected him to keep that pace. Right now he's at .270 which is in line with his pre-injury numbers albeit with a little higher slugging.

Meanwhile, salty's numbers are right about his career averages.

And, geez, one guy just turned 28 and the other just turned 26, it's not like we are talking a 4 or 5 year age difference.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : Yes, Martin has "cooled" from hitting .350 earlier in the year, but I don't think anyone expected him to keep that pace. Right now he's at .270 which is in line with his pre-injury numbers albeit with a little higher slugging. Meanwhile, salty's numbers are right about his career averages. And, geez, one guy just turned 28 and the other just turned 26, it's not like we are talking a 4 or 5 year age difference.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1[/QUOTE]

No, but the fact are the facts..all RsN is cheering for is that the kid (salty) finally looks like hes breaking through..Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with what martin is doing either...Salty doesnt really have career averages IMO because hes played so sporatically..I think a better assesment of what he can do will be determined at the end of the season. The most games hes ever played in a year was 84 and 61 is the next highest..At least martin HAS had plenty of playing time to get a true guage on his ability..Now that the Sox have given him a "real" chance and believe in him, like Pedey in 2007, hes starting to perform..Im not giving him the catchers throne just yet, but its good to see him performing the way he has lately..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salty pullin a Pedey??? : No, but the fact are the facts..all RsN is cheering for is that the kid (salty) finally looks like hes breaking through..Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with what martin is doing either...Salty doesnt really have career averages IMO because hes played so sporatically..I think a better assesment of what he can do will be determined at the end of the season. The most games hes ever played in a year was 84 and 61 is the next highest..At least martin HAS had plenty of playing time to get a true guage on his ability..Now that the Sox have given him a "real" chance and believe in him, like Pedey in 2007, hes starting to perform..Im not giving him the catchers throne just yet, but its good to see him performing the way he has lately..

Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Or maybe there is a reason why he has never played in more than 84 games and been on 3 different teams in his short career.