Salty Signs 1 Year 4.5....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Salty Signs 1 Year 4.5....

I Like It, 25 Hr Coming From The Salt.......

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

Re: Salty Signs 1 Year 4.5....

In response to mryazz's comment:

more proof that a dollar doesn't buy much. and in this case it appears 4.5 million of them doesn't buy much either.

+1000

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was hoping we extended him before his cost skyrockets after a better 2013 season. I still think he may well be traded this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

4.5M is Ok. Gives salty one more year to show his true worth. That, and theres really not many, if any, better alternatives. And lavarnway isnt one.

If he tears it up this year we can extend him or offer him a qualifying offer and obtain a compensation pick.

If Salty does good in 2013 Im sure he will get 3-4 year offers for more than a qualifying offer so I wouldnt hesitate to extend him an offer...

Best move all the way around IMO. A Salty/Ross combo will be one of the best in the league IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I really thought it could go higher. Salty signed cheap. I still wouldn't be surprised if they didn't trade him quickly now that this is behind them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I really thought it could go higher. Salty signed cheap. I still wouldn't be surprised if they didn't trade him quickly now that this is behind them.

I Hope We Trade Lava, AKA Fisk.......Per B-806.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

$4.5m is exactly half of Salty's 2012 Fangraphs value.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I really don't get it. Salty should have gotten at least $6 mil or so I thought.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

salty makes less than gomes? lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I really don't get it. Salty should have gotten at least $6 mil or so I thought.

John Henry Has Yacht Maintenance.......

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Good move. If Sox FO keeps this up, it sure will muzzle the forum.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I was hoping we extended him before his cost skyrockets after a better 2013 season. I still think he may well be traded this year.

I think that extending him would be risky. I'm not sold on Salty at all. Beckett was extended prematurely.  If Salty blossoms however then you go back to the think tank and decide what he is worth into the future when you are forced to make that decision. The decision to extend him is not mandatory at this point and  can be put off. There is no crystal ball. Play it by ear.

Im Not Sold On Lava Nava Iggy Or Kalish..No Crystal Ball Needed Here.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Cheap enough signing to give us more depth and alllow Salty one last opportunity to prove he can bring more to the game than SLG and being a great team player.  I like and respect Salty as a person and wish him well but still feel he may be traded this season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Cheap enough signing to give us more depth and alllow Salty one last opportunity to prove he can bring more to the game than SLG and being a great team player.  I like and respect Salty as a person and wish him well but still feel he may be traded this season.

I Feel The Same Way, Ells May Be Traded Also...:(.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

At this point, it's highly unlikely either will be traded unless they are out of it at the deadline. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

just because you can trade a player does not mean you should. Salty is our best catching option this year and likely next year too. If Salty can learn to draw a walk or two he will be one of the top catchers in the game. I'm definitely looking to lock him up long term if he continues to progress this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think that extending him would be risky. I'm not sold on Salty at all. Beckett was extended prematurely.  If Salty blossoms however then you go back to the think tank and decide what he is worth into the future when you are forced to make that decision. The decision to extend him is not mandatory at this point and  can be put off. There is no crystal ball. Play it by ear.

That's the gamble. If he does much better this year, we'll wish we had locked him up at a reasonable rate this winter.

He improved immensely on defense and handling the staff last summer. He's at a reasonable age for catcher to "get it". His bat was upper tier (better than average), and he was one of our few hitters who did about as well on the road as at home.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

That's the gamble. If he does much better this year, we'll wish we had locked him up at a reasonable rate this winter.

He improved immensely on defense and handling the staff last summer. He's at a reasonable age for catcher to "get it". His bat was upper tier (better than average), and he was one of our few hitters who did about as well on the road as at home.

I agree 100% here.  Plus he may have the best attitude on the entire team outside of maybe Pedi.  Yet most fans seem anxious to try and trade him.  You don't hear a lot of positives about him.  Too bad.  He deserves them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Sorry Moon.  Never really learned how to copy and paste a comment from a different poster to show the difference in "boldness" indicating the comment from poster to another.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

At this point, it's highly unlikely either will be traded unless they are out of it at the deadline. 

With Naps hip issue I doubt they trade Salty. Especially after seeing how bad Lav played behind the plate last year. Id give Lav a 1b mit and call it a day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

That thinking is what got us in trouble with Beckett.

Salty, even if he improves, will not cost a ton to resign IMO. He'll get a raise for sure, but this team can afford a bit of a raise for a catchwer that has continuously improved since arriving in Boston.

If we offer him say a 4/40 deal (just throwing numbers out there) and he totally flops, the FO is going to look very dumb. Id rather spend $$ that he has earned than give him a contract before he deserves one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sjddaj's comment:

Sorry Moon.  Never really learned how to copy and paste a comment from a different poster to show the difference in "boldness" indicating the comment from poster to another.

Right click over passage and schrool over the part you want to bold. Then, click the B below as it is still higlighted.