Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix

Well , at least they made it interesting. Worth staying up to watch. Good night.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Why is Varitek hitting in trhat situation with Salrmachia on the bench ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They threw away runs early wgich hurt. The way the Mariners were celebrating and League was smiling you would figure they were in first place.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Worried about tomorrows game with Wakefield pitching.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

as they say in the sea attle, my oh my, only one inning of any O?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

we had some chances, couldnt pull through. becckets first inning look like becket 2010 better turn back into an ace in the playoffs.
    hurray for pedey and ells!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Morning brdbreu and all...saw you guys dropped a tough one last night, was too tired to check in,  judging from the score, i'm guessing Beckett and Felix both pitched well??...i know you guys have done well against him...sometimes it goes the other way...at least you guys get off the late shift today, late afternoon game i assume?, the skies have been open since 7 am, i think our game is definitely getting washed....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix:
    [QUOTE]Morning brdbreu and all...saw you guys dropped a tough one last night, was too tired to check in,  judging from the score, i'm guessing Beckett and Felix both pitched well??...i know you guys haved done well against him...sometimes it goes the other way...at least you guys get off the late shift today, late afternoon game i assume?, the skies have been open since 7 am, i think our game is definitely getting washed....
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Morning Jete...they both had a meltdown inning, otherwise pitched well. two 2 run Homers off Beckett in the first, two 2 run homeruns off KF in the 6th (ells & PD). that was it for the scoring. 5-4. reversed call at homeplate by the first base umpire got francona tossed. todays game is at 4:00

bad w/e for aces, cc, weaver beckett and felix.....and zambranoWink
    Must be the full moon. Tongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : Morning Jete...they both had a meltdown inning, other wise pitched well. two 2 run Homers off Beckett in the first, two 2 run homeruns off KF in the 6th (ells & PD). that was it for the scoring. 5-4. reversed call at homeplate by the first base umpire got francona tossed. bad w/e for aces, cc. weaver beckett and felix.....and zambrano
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I can't give Zambrano ace status...pretty sad what has happened to him.  I think the Cubs did the right thing though, you can't have that around your team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : I can't give Zambrano ace status...pretty sad what has happened to him.  I think the Cubs did the right thing though, you can't have that around your team.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]

Agreed Mikey. again, kidding; therefore the Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

As frustrating as it was, last night is why I love this team.  They just keep coming.  down 5-0 early, they could have mailed it in.  Ellsbury getting thrown out by a seed from Ichiro could have ended it also.  Except, there is no way that would happen.  Beckett battled back and the bullpen was awesome again.  Watch out for the Sox today.  Everyone is worried about Wake but I expect him to battle and the Sox to find a way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-The-Babe-(. Show )-The-Babe-('s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : Morning Jete...they both had a meltdown inning, otherwise pitched well. two 2 run Homers off Beckett in the first, two 2 run homeruns off KF in the 6th (ells & PD). that was it for the scoring. 5-4. reversed call at homeplate by the first base umpire got francona tossed. todays game is at 4:00 bad w/e for aces, cc, weaver beckett and felix.....and zambrano Must be the full moon.

Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I don't really get why francona argued, he was out by a mile.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]As frustrating as it was, last night is why I love this team.  They just keep coming.  down 5-0 early, they could have mailed it in.  Ellsbury getting thrown out by a seed from Ichiro could have ended it also.  Except, there is no way that would happen.  Beckett battled back and the bullpen was awesome again.  Watch out for the Sox today.  Everyone is worried about Wake but I expect him to battle and the Sox to find a way.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Morning Jim. took a perfect throw by ichiro, but down 5, needed to try it. in the end, it was the right call, but to be overturned by the first base umpire, 90 feet away, over the home plate who was a foot? who had the best vantage point of the play?  Francona had every right to be upset.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : BS....the guy was clearly out and francona had no business arguing the call. Maybe he did it to try to fire up his team, but he certainly didn't have "every right" to be upset.
    Posted by )-The-Babe-([/QUOTE]

Is there a link to see the play?  I haven't seen it, I heard that it was fairly clear that he was out also but until I see it I cannot pass judgement.  If it was clear that he was out and  Francona came out with the intent of firing up his team, I see no problem with that though.  Francona does have every right to do that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : Is there a link to see the play?  I haven't seen it, I heard that it was fairly clear that he was out also but until I see it I cannot pass judgement.  If it was clear that he was out and  Francona came out with the intent of firing up his team, I see no problem with that though.  Francona does have every right to do that.

It may have worked, the Sox scored 4 runs off of King Felix and made a game out of it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : Is there a link to see the play?  I haven't seen it, I heard that it was fairly clear that he was out also but until I see it I cannot pass judgement.  If it was clear that he was out and  Francona came out with the intent of firing up his team, I see no problem with that though.  Francona does have every right to do that.

his arguement was why did the first base umpire over ride the home plate umpire, who had the best vantage point? next up on instant replay should be plays at the plate and plays that end an game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Why would Babe (Yankee fan) stay up until 1 a.m. to watch a Red Sox game. Could it be that he is acually a Red Sox fan who enjoys being a troll?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : his arguement was why did the first base umpire over ride the home plate umpire, who had the best vantage point? next up on instant replay should be plays at the plate and plays that end an game.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I can understand that but was he out?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : Morning Jete...they both had a meltdown inning, otherwise pitched well. two 2 run Homers off Beckett in the first, two 2 run homeruns off KF in the 6th (ells & PD). that was it for the scoring. 5-4. reversed call at homeplate by the first base umpire got francona tossed. todays game is at 4:00 bad w/e for aces, cc, weaver beckett and felix.....and zambrano Must be the full moon.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] LOL..man, that Z-Man is a nutcase... i'm amazed that the Cubbies held on this long...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : Morning Jim. took a perfect throw by ichiro, but down 5, needed to try it. in the end, it was the right call, but to be overturned by the first base umpire, 90 feet away, over the home plate who was a foot? who had the best vantage point of the play?  Francona had every right to be upset.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Hey JBay.  They did get it right but Tito did the right thing.  Since the ump was right there with no obstruction, the call should have been his.  That's all Tito was saying.  As I said, that game was frustrating but shows why this team is really tough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Why would Babe (Yankee fan) stay up until 1 a.m. to watch a Red Sox game. Could it be that he is acually a Red Sox fan who enjoys being a troll?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE] pike, i get that this is a shot at Babe, but it's not really relegated to Sox and Yanks, i know for a fact that there are fans that watch other team's games, even those on the Left Coast, but again i understand your point is his constant contrary view of the Sox...as i'm sure you know it's also the reverse for some Sox fans...being that your target was specific, should i assume it's not a broad issue with you ??.. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : I can understand that but was he out?

the initial call was Bard dropped the ball, therefore, called safe. how did the first base umpire 90 feet away, and on the other side of the play, see it wasn't? If he didn't drop it Ells was out. On REPLAY, it looked like he didn't.  it was the right call, but the arguement by Francona was about why the call was overturned by an umpire 90 feet away, safe or out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : the initial call was Bard dropped the ball, therefore, called safe. how did the first base umpire 90 feet away, and on the other side of the play, see it wasn't? If he didn't drop it Ells was out. On REPLAY, it looked like he didn't.  it was the right call, but the arguement by Francona was about why the call was overturned by an umpire 90 feet away, safe or out.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    So he was out, I read that Ellsbury confirmed that he was indeed out.  I can understand Francona's frustration, though I'm sure while the play unfolded Francona wasn't monitoring the position of the 1st base umpire so he may not have understood how he could have a view.  Interesting sounding play, I'd like to see the replay but I couldn't find one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : So he was out, I read that Ellsbury confirmed that he was indeed out.  I can understand Francona's frustration, though I'm sure while the play unfolded Francona wasn't monitoring the position of the 1st base umpire so he may not have understood how he could have a view.  Interesting sounding play, I'd like to see the replay but I couldn't find one.

FWIW, before the replay, Remy thought he dropped it also. the ball came out of Bards glove but he had it in his hand. they'll replay it on NESN pre game, but dont think you get NESN in the Bronx.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread 8/13; Beckett vs King Felix : FWIW, before the replay, Remy thought he dropped it also. the ball came out of Bards glove but he had it in his hand. they'll replay it on NESN pre game, but dont think you get NESN in the Bronx.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I take Remy's opinion with a grain of salt....him announcing is kind of like having Rizzuto announcing....I'd expect Remy to raise the reasonable doubt on the call.  Rizzuto was often the same way, I miss having him as the announcer though.  I grew up with Rizzuto as the announcer and I loved the "huckleberrys" as well as his obvious Yankee bias.....he makes Michael Kay and the YES crew look like Met fans.