Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

Re: Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees

In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees : If the Sox fail to win the wild card , they will never completely live it down. They will be remembered as among the biggest chokers in history. It is far , far better to get swept in the ALDS than to choke away the wild card.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Agreed dgale, posters keep saying just choke and get it over with, but a choke will be just as remembered as the ball that went through that one guy's legs, I won't mention his name!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Don't understand using Bowden here. Why not just leave Miller in to mop up. With Wake and Lackey going tomorrow, we will certainly need some fresh arms for long relief.  Bowden could be used then.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

With Wakefield and Burnett pitching tommorow, the final score is likely to look like a Celtics/Knicks game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees:
    [QUOTE]Go Sox! RED SOX (88-68) Ellsbury CF Crawford LF Pedroia 2B Ortiz DH Gonzalez 1B Aviles 3B Scutaro SS Reddick RF Saltalamacchia C Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (15-8, 3.15) YANKEES (95-61) Jeter SS Granderson CF Teixeira 1B Rodriguez 3B Cano 2B Swisher RF Jones LF Montero DH Martin C Pitching: RHP Freddy Garcia (11-8, 3.77)
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
    IS it over yet?  Maybe the Yanks will give the sox 7 runs.... so that MO can ccome and get an easy save by shutting them down

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees : Agreed dgale, posters keep saying just choke and get it over with, but a choke will be just as remembered as the ball that went through that one guy's legs, I won't mention his name!
    Posted by westcoastsox9[/QUOTE]
    What people always seem to forget about the Buckner play is that the Sox had already blown the lead before his error.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]With Wakefield and Burnett pitching tommorow, the final score is likely to look like a Celtics/Knicks game.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    Let's face it though, there is a much better chance of Burnett pitching well than there is of Wakefield. Sad but true.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMHBOSOX. Show CMHBOSOX's posts

Just curious what you think on this topic. This team (obviously) has major flaws that need to be addressed this off-season. Do you think that they'll do anything drastic this off-season? Do you think that failing to make the playoffs would result in even more drastic moves than if they back in and get eliminated early?

I don't think it will make a difference and sadly, I don't think they'll do anything drastic this off-season. I think they'll just chalk it up to injuries.

Just curious what everyone else thinks will happen if we do or don't make it, and if there's a difference between the two.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees : Ditto. He was on here wed. night saying that he didn't want them to make the PS, and that it was over, better if they didn't make it etc., and I guess we are "clueless cheerleaders" (his words) if we're still hoping they can do better.

Well he is probably someone who never played competitive sports.  Anyone who has already knows it is very hard to reach the postseason in any sport, and getting there is always better than not making the playoffs, I dont care if you fall on your face at the finish line.  Why would a true fan have that poor attitude but not want that players he/she roots for to feel the same way.  I don't care what the standings say, I expect these players to play hard and get it in gear one of these games and I will be right here until the 162nd games says we can not advance!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Don't understand using Bowden here. Why not just leave Miller in to mop up. With Wake and Lackey going tomorrow, we will certainly need some fresh arms for long relief.  Bowden could be used then.

If you know what's good for you dg, you'll stop poking around in things that are none of your concern. Two Rings Tito takes a dim view of a lot of questions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]I don't get the false sense of optimism before the game due to the continued tinkering with the batting order.  Moving Crawford to second was a panic move and nothing more. If you think about it rationally , it makes no sense. The higher you hit in the order, the more at bats you get.  You are giving an extra at bat to the light hitting Crawford , and taking it from the league's leading hitter, AGon.  It is a desperation move , but not well thought out.
    The batting order was strongly suggested by several players to Tito. He caved and went with the suggestion. It does not matter. Tito could shuffle a deck of cards to make the batting order, with the absolute worst pitching staff in the Major Leagues during September, do any of us think the batting order makes any difference? Can't wait for Lackey tomorrow to stop the bleeding....hahahaha

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees : What people always seem to forget about the Buckner play is that the Sox had already blown the lead before his error.

So true dgale, so true..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Just curious what you think on this topic. This team (obviously) has major flaws that need to be addressed this off-season. Do you think that they'll do anything drastic this off-season? Do you think that failing to make the playoffs would result in even more drastic moves than if they back in and get eliminated early? I don't think it will make a difference and sadly, I don't think they'll do anything drastic this off-season. I think they'll just chalk it up to injuries. Just curious what everyone else thinks will happen if we do or don't make it, and if there's a difference between the two.
    Posted by CMHBOSOX[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure what they can do. The payroll is pretty much maxed out, and the contracts of Crawford and Lackey make it tough to make any major moves. The money they save on Drew will have to go toward re-signing Papelbon and Ortiz. They are in a bind , no doubt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees : Let's face it though, there is a much better chance of Burnett pitching well than there is of Wakefield. Sad but true.

Burnett pitched quite well against the Sox last meeting, despite blowing the previos 5 starts!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from westcoastsox9. Show westcoastsox9's posts

Well at least the new lineup squeezed out 1 run, cant blame that on Lester either!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Well, less than 20 games over for the first time since before the AS break. Wow. Go Blue Jays, that's all there is to say at this point. Wakefield and Lackey tommorow, let's hope at least ONE of them can get a win. (gulp)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411895. Show user_4411895's posts

[QUOTE]With Wakefield and Burnett pitching tommorow, the final score is likely to look like a Celtics/Knicks game.

I'm thinking it will be lower scoring, more like Patriots/Jets.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

For all practical purposes, this game was over in the second inning.  I am sure that anyone in baseball would take Lester over Garcia any day. But in a critical game for the Sox, Garcia came up big , and Lester froze like the proverbial deer in the headlights. That's all she wrote.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Joey Bats gives the Jays an early 2-0 lead.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]For all practical purposes, this game was over in the second inning.  I am sure that anyone in baseball would take Lester over Garcia any day. But in a critical game for the Sox, Garcia came up big , and Lester froze like the proverbial deer in the headlights. That's all she wrote.

What else is new? I've been saying that all year. Lester only came up big in ONE big game his whole career, and I aint talkin' about game 4 in 07.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Not much else you can say about this.  Sox look like a thoroughly beaten team. You have to wonder if they will even win another game this year.  All we can do is cling to our faith and hope for the best.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from amishrockstar. Show amishrockstar's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411939. Show user_4411939's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees : What else is new? I've been saying that all year. Lester only came up big in ONE big game his whole career, and I aint talkin' about game 4 in 07.

SPC started a thread midseason saying Lester was the best pitcher in the American League, could he have been wrong?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Lester may as well be on the DL too, the way he's pitched lately.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Saturday Game Thread:Red Sox at Yankees : IS it over yet?  Maybe the Yanks will give the sox 7 runs.... so that MO can ccome and get an easy save by shutting them down
    Posted by FenwayChuck[/QUOTE]
      Hey, pal, every closer comes into the game  with the same rules. If it's so easy, WHERE AND WHO ARE MO'S SUCCESSORS....???