Say Goodbye S&S

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Veritas007. Show Veritas007's posts

Say Goodbye S&S

The good part of this collapse is that it should solidify the firing of Francona. He is outcoached by virtually manager he goes against. It is pathetic how Maddon owns him. Tito "Who's your daddy?"  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Say Goodbye S&S

In Response to Say Goodbye S&S:
    [QUOTE]The good part of this collapse is that it should solidify the firing of Francona. He is outcoached by virtually manager he goes against. It is pathetic how Maddon owns him. Tito "Who's your daddy?"  
    Posted by Veritas007[/QUOTE]

How many more "Fire Tito" threads will there be over the next 6 games?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from legion12941. Show legion12941's posts

In some quarters, Francona is thought of as a very good manager.

In the following article, Francona is ranked as the 2nd Best Manager this year -

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/852030-ranking-all-30-mlb-managers#/articles/852030-ranking-all-30-mlb-managers/page/30

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Law.  If the Sox miss the playoffs, or are even swept out in the 1st round, Terry and Theo should both be fired.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FredMertz. Show FredMertz's posts

In Response to Re: Say Goodbye S&S:
    [QUOTE]In some quarters, Francona is thought of as a very good manager. In the following article, Francona is ranked as the 2nd Best Manager this year - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/852030-ranking-all-30-mlb-managers#/articles/852030-ranking-all-30-mlb-managers/page/30
    Posted by legion12941[/QUOTE]

Bleacher report should get the same respect as smelly beni.

The RS could do much worse than Francona.  However, he may have exceeded his run in beentown.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Theo Epstein should be fired regardless of playoff results.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Like I said I hope he goes to the Cubs... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from VtRedSoxFan802. Show VtRedSoxFan802's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say Goodbye S&S : Bleacher report should get the same respect as smelly beni. The RS could do much worse than Francona.  However, he may have exceeded his run in beentown.
    Posted by FredMertz[/QUOTE]
    Francona may have been good in 04 and 07 but times have changed and he has not so now things are not going well. The Sox need a manager who goes for the gut. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Law.  If the Sox miss the playoffs, or are even swept out in the 1st round, Terry and Theo should both be fired.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed about the number of post that are calling for Francona's and Epstein's head.  What's more confusing is that at the same time the very same people are going on about how frustrated they are over the injuries the RS have had to deal with this season.  So what is it poor team construction, .. poor managing or poor fortune with regard to injuries?  Frankly, it's a bit of all three but there are just enough critical injuries that are going to let Epstein and Francona off the hook.  In fact, if I were to think in terms of proportional blame, .. I would say Epstein deserves the lion's share.  All teams get injuries.  You can quibble about Francona's strategy but he really didn't have the players this year when he needed them.

A GMs job is to get the talent and have a plan B in the ready should things not go to form due to injury, unexpected poor production or anything else. Is Epstein to blame is not the question because as the GM he is responsible. That being said, he’s not getting canned anytime soon because of the teams accomplishments in 2004 & 2007, .. nor do I necessarily think he should. But, this year’s record like last year’s will be blamed on injuries which isn’t exactly the whole story. Although I thought the RS would hold on to make the playoffs, and might yet, whether they do or not should not change the way Epstein is evaluated for this season. The team he constructed had serious holes to start with that were just exposed over the course of a 162 game season.  This was compounded by the fact that he made little effort to get reinforcements before the trade dead line.  I’m aware that there wasn’t much available but you wouldn’t have had to do much to improve this bunch.  He is a good GM but not a great one. I think a myth was constructed around him because of 2004. A myth that upon closer examination is undeserved, especially when you consider that the 2004 team’s foundation was put in place by his predecessor. The 2007 team was much more of his making and between the two WS wins he’s attained a status that will prevent his dismissal anytime soon. Say anything else you want about him, … he was the GM that was at the helm when the curse was broken and that is going to get him a lot of slack.

Expect him and Francona back next season. Hope that he can sure up the BP, that Lackey and Crawford start earning their keep and that they don’t let the wrong FA walk.  Nevertheless, I’m sure that if the RS don’t make it to the playoffs Theo has in his office a gorilla suit encased in glass that reads “Break Glass in Case of Third Place”.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In the past 18 games, Sox starters are 3-9 with an ERA of 6.75

So this is Francona's fault that the SP has not had a QUALITY start in 16 games?
    Injuries and the inability of the replacements to come through is not something a manager has control over.
    Theo tried to get other pitchers but a combination of the other team wanting too much and other teams willing to give too much made the tried moves not happen.

Because neither the RS or NYY were able to make any significant move at the trade deadline IMHO I believe other teams are reluctant to trade with them unless they get the upper hand either in players or $$$$$. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The Lion's share of the blame goes to how the team is playing now; they are all to blame.

April - That I blame Francona - his team clearly wasn't ready

Injuries too have played it's role - Youk and Buck

There is SOME blame to Francona for Sept - no sense of urgency as the ship goes down....Last Night, he should have kept Beckett in.  If you are going to get beat, get beat w/ your best pitcher on the mound.  I mean, if that were the 8th you could go to Paps but I don't know how Aceves (as good as he's been) is ever a better option than Beckett?  Conversley, he'll gladly allow the other teams best players to beat him (see Evan Longoria).......

For Theo - that was a poor way to allocate 170 million.  Too much to a Left Fielder and not enough for pitching........

If there is ONE player I am most disappointed in, it's Lester. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say Goodbye S&S : If Maddon owns Francona...and Francona was only good in 2004 and 2007...what years were Maddon good in? Don't use payroll as your excuse because this thread is littered with Anti-Theo stuff...so payroll doesn't matter...according to this thread Francona is managing under an inferior GM yet has two rings, Maddon with a better GM according to this thread, has 0 rings. So explain that to me please...thanks
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

^ +1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Also, +1 at A-Mitch's last post.  I am sorely disappointed in Lester.  He clearly left his big-boy pants at home this year.

Beckett is the staff Ace whereas Lester is getting a little too "Thinking Man"/Mike Mussina-y for my taste.  I think he needs to to step on the mound, point at Jeter's head, and bean his sorry azz.  That or line up some shots of Jack D on the rubber, light 'em, toss 'em down, and get some gd-fire in his belly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Lester has fire but he let's that fire get the best of him instead of turning it into something positive.

Also, his velocity has been down - what happened to 96??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Quit talking about Maddon owning Tito.  Before the month of September, Tampa have 6-5 record against Boston before injuries started to pile up for Boston.  So seriously, meaning Maddon was lucky to play Boston for the month of September.  

Anyway, it is just Boston have too many injuries where Tito have to keep juggling the line up and starting pitcher rotation every single game.  Look at Yankees, no injuries to their starting rotation where they can keep it stable for the whole season eventhough their bottom rotation isnt as good as Boston's actual bottom rotation.  Same goes to Tampa.  Remember pitching and defense carry the team in all season along and post season.  That was why Yankees and Tampa were able to stay strong toward to the month of September.

Plus Tampa have more talents in their farm system where they can use them to back people up while Boston do not have much talents in their farm system where they can not use them to back up Youkilis, Dice K, Bedard, JD Drew, etc.

But the season is far over.  Boston still have a shot.

Good thing they are playing on the road where they have been playing well before they headed home for 10 games homestand.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

If the Sox were to win their final 6 gms (doubtful), they would limp into the PO's and be eliminated in the 1st round. The team has no leadership, zombies going through the motions blaming bad luck for their collapse and using tired phrases such as "I've never seen anything like this". Duh, neither have your fans. Time to drain-the-swap, bid adios to Theo, Francona, Drew, Ortiz, Wakefield, Varitek, McDonald and everyone in the BP except Papelbon, Bard and Aceves. The purge is long overdue for this fatally flawed team asssembled by an overrated GM! 2004 and 2007 are ancient history.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411795. Show user_4411795's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say Goodbye S&S : So I guess the time that Hughes, Colon and Garcia spent on the DL doesn't count? Headed into Sept, the Yanks had players miss 1300 combined games, which was the most in the majors. Stop using injuries as an excuse, it's makes you sound like a whiny little girl.
    Posted by ..The~Babe....[/QUOTE]

I would say this, when the Sox were in first place you never heard people talking about injuries. J-Bay the spinning spokesman started doing the same last night in the gamethread.  The Yankees have had plenty of injuries too, you won't hear them acknowledge that though.  It is what it is, the Yankees earned the division and the Sox although favored by many to win it all this year are fighting to make it into the playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Veritas007. Show Veritas007's posts

Match up the talent on the Rays vs the Sox. If Maddon had the talent S&Shas they would be ahead by 15 games. Except for Longoria and a couple of starters, the Rays don't have anyone who would start on the Sox.

S&S commands no respect from his players.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

We are something like 33-46 vs the Rays since 2008....In 2007 we were like 16-2......in 2004 we were like 16-3...........this year 6-12.......Since 2008, we have played .600 yet against the Rays we play .400 ball?  That's a 50% swing.  I'd say the Rays OWN the Sox.  And no one has done a lick about it.  We need some hired gun to come to town who will proclaim on national TV that he's headed to Boston to take care of the Rays for us.........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Match up the talent on the Rays vs the Sox. If Maddon had the talent S&Shas they would be ahead by 15 games. Except for Longoria and a couple of starters, the Rays don't have anyone who would start on the Sox. S&S commands no respect from his players.

Don't forget Desmond Jennings.  If we had him Ol Carl would be riding pine

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say Goodbye S&S : I would say this, when the Sox were in first place you never heard people talking about injuries. J-Bay the spinning spokesman started doing the same last night in the gamethread.  The Yankees have had plenty of injuries too, you won't hear them acknowledge that though.  It is what it is, the Yankees earned the division and the Sox although favored by many to win it all this year are fighting to make it into the playoffs.
    Posted by MikeintheBronx[/QUOTE]

Where is the post by Babe?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Law.  If the Sox miss the playoffs, or are even swept out in the 1st round, Terry and Theo should both be fired.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

Where is the Law post?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411795. Show user_4411795's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say Goodbye S&S : Where is the post by Babe?
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really matter, you know and understand his position.  Well maybe you don't understand it but you know it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

In Response to Say Goodbye S&S:
    [QUOTE]The good part of this collapse is that it should solidify the firing of Francona. He is outcoached by virtually manager he goes against. It is pathetic how Maddon owns him. Tito "Who's your daddy?"  

The twin brother of Teakus is back. Where were you during the months of May thru August?