Say it ain't so, Curt!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Say it ain't so, Curt!

From WEEI:
    Former Red Sox pitcher and current ESPN analyst Curt Schilling joined Mut & Merloni Wednesday morning. He picked the Sox for the wild card.

On who will win the AL playoff races: “I would tell you that it’s going to probably end up being the way it is today, in my mind. The Yankees, the Tigers, the Rangers, even though I like [Mike] Scioscia‘s Angels, and I think you’ll have the Sox coming in as the wild card.”
    Among the other topics discussed was Josh Beckett‘s sprained right ankle. Schilling, who is no stranger to ankle injuries, said that he is not sure how serious Beckett’s injury is as Boston heads toward the postseason.

“Their season’s riding on it, that much is clear, but I don’t have a clue as to what’s going on,” Schilling said. “I think it’s going to be very Belichickian around there for the next few days to a week as you try to get information.”

Beckett sprained his ankle in the fourth inning of his start against Toronto on Monday. While the sprain was good news to those expecting a more serious injury, it is still unclear as to when Beckett will pitch next. Schilling said that even if Beckett is not at full health for the rest of the season, it is important that he is able to pitch before the playoffs begin.

“We’re never 100 percent; last time I was 100 percent I was like 13,” Schilling said. “My concern is this: I don’t want him to have to work back up to pitching going into the postseason. … When you’re rolling into the postseason, you literally want to be gearing up like you do at the end of spring training going into the season. You want to feel like, ‘I’m executing some stuff, I’m doing some things game-plan-wise,’ and then you’re rolling into the postseason. If it’s anything other than that, it doesn’t bode well for them.”

On injured pitcher Clay Buchholz possibly returning for postseason: “He’s throwing flat ground, 60 feet. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being pitching in a big league game as a starter, he’s at step 2. … You’re asking him to go onto the mound in front of the most rabid, loyal, passionate audience in the world, in the most important games of his life. That’s tough to do with a healthy regular season finish into the postseason.”

On the American League MVP race: “I think it’s going to come down to [CurtisGranderson, to [JacobyEllsbury, to [Adrian] Gonzalez, to Pedey [Dustin Pedroia], all stealing votes from each other. It’ll end up being a close vote, but I think you’re going to see Granderson or probably Ellsbury win it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Re: Say it ain't so, Curt!

Last year, they got derailed by injuries pretty much from the get go. Ells first, then Pedey and Youk. Seemed like every time you turned around someone went down.

This year the injuries are to the pitching staff, the thing Schilling didn't say was that they can't win without Beckett, he may have well said it though. No Beckett, no Buchholz, no Dice K, I'm afraid no chance.

If they advance to the WS , with this roster and with a debilitated Beckett, never mind manager of the year , Tito should get manager of the century.

Ankle sprains, especially right ankle sprains , for right handed pitchers, can take a long time to heal. Or they use to , anyway. A rotation of Lester, Lackey , Bedard, Wakefield. Doesn't exactly put the fear of God into anyone. To come this far, and play this well all year, they deserve better.

Hopefully they get Beckett 100% and Buchholz back, well rested. Then we will see how good they really are. That will be fun to watch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

why? seems a pretty sober and accurate assessment of the situation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Curt calls 'em as he sees 'em. No problem with that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Say it ain't so, Curt!:
    [QUOTE]Last year, they got derailed by injuries pretty much from the get go. Ells first, then Pedey and Youk. Seemed like every time you turned around someone went down. This year the injuries are to the pitching staff, the thing Schilling didn't say was that they can't win without Beckett, he may have well said it though. No Beckett, no Buchholz, no Dice K, I'm afraid no chance. If they advance to the WS , with this roster and with a debilitated Beckett, never mind manager of the year , Tito should get manager of the century. Ankle sprains, especially right ankle sprains , for right handed pitchers, can take a long time to heal. Or they use to , anyway. A rotation of Lester, Lackey , Bedard, Wakefield. Doesn't exactly put the fear of God into anyone. To come this far, and play this well all year, they deserve better. Hopefully they get Beckett 100% and Buchholz back, well rested. Then we will see how good they really are. That will be fun to watch.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

"If they advance to the WS, with this roster and with a debilitated Beckett, never mind MOY, Terry, Tito is his father, should get manager of the century."\
    Lol, and what is it that you think he'll do to earn such an honor? Will he put the best available lineup on the field? Probably not. If, by some miracle, he does use the best players available and they manage to get to the WS, why would he be manager of the year. What would he do that any high school coach wouldn't do? Will he manage the pitchers better? Probably not. 
    Basically, if they do qualify for the WS, nothing will have changed. They will have done it "IN SPITE OF FRANCONA." Which is what has happened for seven plus years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say it ain't so, Curt! : " If they advance to the WS, with this roster and with a debilitated Beckett, never mind MOY, Terry, Tito is his father, should get manager of the century."\ Lol, and what is it that you think he'll do to earn such an honor? Will he put the best available lineup on the field? Probably not. If, by some miracle, he does use the best players available and they manage to get to the WS, why would he be manager of the year. What would he do that any high school coach wouldn't do? Will he manage the pitchers better? Probably not.  Basically, if they do qualify for the WS, nothing will have changed. They will have done it "IN SPITE OF FRANCONA." Which is what has happened for seven plus years.  
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Interesting he favors Granderson and Ellsbury over AGon for MVP. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Last year, they got derailed by injuries pretty much from the get go. Ells first, then Pedey and Youk. Seemed like every time you turned around someone went down. This year the injuries are to the pitching staff, the thing Schilling didn't say was that they can't win without Beckett, he may have well said it though. No Beckett, no Buchholz, no Dice K, I'm afraid no chance. If they advance to the WS , with this roster and with a debilitated Beckett, never mind manager of the year , Tito should get manager of the century. Ankle sprains, especially right ankle sprains , for right handed pitchers, can take a long time to heal. Or they use to , anyway. A rotation of Lester, Lackey , Bedard, Wakefield. Doesn't exactly put the fear of God into anyone. To come this far, and play this well all year, they deserve better. Hopefully they get Beckett 100% and Buchholz back, well rested. Then we will see how good they really are. That will be fun to watch.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

There's a reason why teams struggle to repeat and injuries are a major factor...Injury to key players can derail a team pretty quickly especially if it's your #1 or #2 pitcher or your middle of the oder bats....The Sox have not entered the post season healthy since 2007 and it's no coincidence they haven't won it or been to the World Series since...

The most important part of a team winning the WS is qualifying for the post season...Then once in your team has to play better than your opponant or more to the point you have to out score your opponent 11 times. Starting pitching and bullpens both play key roles and if Beckett is not on his A game our chances diminish...if Lester and Beckett are both on their A games I like our chances against anyone in a seven game series...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say it ain't so, Curt! : " If they advance to the WS, with this roster and with a debilitated Beckett, never mind MOY, Terry, Tito is his father, should get manager of the century."\ Lol, and what is it that you think he'll do to earn such an honor? Will he put the best available lineup on the field? Probably not. If, by some miracle, he does use the best players available and they manage to get to the WS, why would he be manager of the year. What would he do that any high school coach wouldn't do? Will he manage the pitchers better? Probably not.  Basically, if they do qualify for the WS, nothing will have changed. They will have done it "IN SPITE OF FRANCONA." Which is what has happened for seven plus years.  
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

You've got serious problems Bosox.  You have been on here for years and have never posted anything other than b&*ch fests about Francona.  Do you have any other opinions about the Red sox?  Favorite player?  Favorite dessert?  Anything?  The only thing I know about you is that you think Francona is worst manager ever.  I would love to know what you think about absolutely anything else related to the Red sox, baseball, or life in general.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say it ain't so, Curt! : You've got serious problems Bosox.  You have been on here for years and have never posted anything other than b&*ch fests about Francona.  Do you have any other opinions about the Red sox?  Favorite player?  Favorite dessert?  Anything?  The only thing I know about you is that you think Francona is worst manager ever.  I would love to know what you think about absolutely anything else related to the Red sox, baseball, or life in general.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

It's the feather in his cap or the price tag on Minnie Pearl's hat, the cigar in Groucho's mouth, or Jack Benny's being cheap. This is Bosox1941's IDENTITY.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say it ain't so, Curt! : It's the feather in his cap or the price tag on Minnie Pearl's hat, the cigar in Groucho's mouth, or Jack Benny's being cheap. This is Bosox1941's IDENTITY.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say it ain't so, Curt! : You've got serious problems Bosox.  You have been on here for years and have never posted anything other than b&*ch fests about Francona.  Do you have any other opinions about the Red sox?  Favorite player?  Favorite dessert?  Anything?  The only thing I know about you is that you think Francona is worst manager ever.  I would love to know what you think about absolutely anything else related to the Red sox, baseball, or life in general.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]Space, what cracks me up is if we were to assume that Bosox was right and the RS win in spite of Francona, any manager that is that bleepin' lucky is a guy you just don't want to lose.

But that is the whole probably with the W-L record, any way you spin it, it is a successful past.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I'm leaning towards the Red Sox right now, but just barely.

The Yankees have 12 games left against quality opponents (Bos, Tampa, Angels) and a west coast road trip.  They have 1 day off from now to the end of the season.

The Sox have 10 games against quality opponents and 11 games against Toronto and Baltimore.  The farthest they have to travel is TB.  If Beckett doesn't miss more than 1 start, then I think the RS have a good chance of catching them.

If Lackey gets hurt and has to miss a couple of starts, then the Sox will have an easier time catching the Yankees.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Say it ain't so, Curt! : Space, what cracks me up is if we were to assume that Bosox was right and the RS win in spite of Francona, any manager that is that bleepin' lucky is a guy you just don't want to lose. But that is the whole probably with the W-L record, any way you spin it, it is a successful past.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
     No doubt 5K.  I mean, we are witnessing a truly supernatural phenomenon.  Haha.  Also, Bosox' long-time "Don't Forget the Francona Factor, the Opposition COunts On It" signature line is puzzling to me if it is true.   Man, if they do, this a a stubborn body of opponents, because counting on this factor has not gained them very much success in his reign.