Schilling on the Herd this AM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Schilling on the Herd this AM

Suggested Varitek for manager next year.   Gotta say I like the idea a lot.  I think he would do a great job.  They are probably hoping for Farrell to get loose though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Schilling on the Herd this AM

I wonder if Ben would make him keep Nieman, Royster and Ochoa.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Tek was here for the chickengate fiasco...captain as it was.....what kind of leadership did he show then? that he should get a open slot right to the manager's job? How about we test him in the minors first.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Schilling on the Herd this AM:
    [QUOTE]Suggested Varitek for manager next year.   Gotta say I like the idea a lot.  I think he would do a great job.  They are probably hoping for Farrell to get loose though.
    Posted by mthomas43[/QUOTE]
    Like Notin ( I think ) I don't understand the great enthusiasm for Farrell. Someone please explain what he has done as a manager to justify all this enthusiasm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amisoxornot. Show amisoxornot's posts

He's never managed before.  Pink hats are always saying to bring Tek in to manage the team...yea ok...just let him learn on the job.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In Response to Re: Schilling on the Herd this AM:
    [QUOTE]Tek was here for the chickengate fiasco...captain as it was.....what kind of leadership did he show then? that he should get a open slot right to the manager's job? How about we test him in the minors first.
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing, but this is unfair.  Yes, he was teacm captain, but he was not manager.  And, having watched that fiasco, he would have a pretty good take on how it happened, the damage it did, and how to prevent it from ever happening again, no?

I was actually thinking he should start out as a bullpen coach or even pitching coach.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Tek was here for the chickengate fiasco...captain as it was.....what kind of leadership did he show then? that he should get a open slot right to the manager's job? How about we test him in the minors first.
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]
    I agre with about testing him in the minors first or at least as a bench coach. HOwever the first part is unfair and what drives me crazy with so many posters.

A player can be a great player and do the right things all teh time, but makes one mistake or shows he's not perfect and all of a sudden, nothing else matters. Fans zero in on that one mistake and tries to wipe out everything else.

Regardless of what happened last September, it shouldn't dismiss the fact that Tek was a great leader for much of his caree -- especially considering that by the beginning of next year, the number of players who were part of last September will be gone.

Right now as far as the starting lineup goes, if Ortiz is back, only four starters in the lineup from last September could be part of the starting lineup next year -- Pedroia, Ellsbury, Salty and Ortiz, and who knows what will happen.

I'm not pushing for Tek. None of us really know who will be a good manager, not having talked to them to understand how they think or being around them to see how the relate to players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Schilling on the Herd this AM : Like Notin ( I think ) I don't understand the great enthusiasm for Farrell. Someone please explain what he has done as a manager to justify all this enthusiasm.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

In fact, Toronto plays a pretty poor brand of baseball despite all their offensive talents.  Sloppy baserunning, poor defense, missing cutoffs.  I was totally unimpressed with their play the last couple series against the Sox, and their absolute decline is no surprise to me.  But, unfortunately that makes it ever more likely the Jays will jettison Farrell if given some compensation.  I personally do not see him succeeding any better than Bobby V.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

I like Tek as the pitching coach.  he knew hitters and pitching better than anyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I think he should spend some time in the minors coaching...get a resume ...before they just hire him in. If they did anything otherwise, it would be a PR move just to please the fan base. No different than saying "bring Wakefield in as the pitching coach too"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In Response to Schilling on the Herd this AM:
    [QUOTE]Suggested Varitek for manager next year.   Gotta say I like the idea a lot.  I think he would do a great job.  They are probably hoping for Farrell to get loose though.
    Posted by mthomas43[/QUOTE]

I cannot understand why the Red Sox would be waiting for Farrell.  It can't be nostalgia. The only reason he might look good is that the two pitching coaches who followed him were so pathetic and inept.  As a manager he has proven to be nothing more than a failure.  H@ll, his team is even worse off than we are.  Personally, I would like to see Dave Martinez of Joe Madden's staff become or new skipper if Valentine is not rehired.  A younger man for a suddenly younger team. That and getting some pitching for our rotation next season and hope Lester and Buchholz can put a ace type season together in tandem.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

fred, good to see your name again. 

I'm not sure a young guy to manage a suddenly young team is the best thing.  But I like the idea of a Dave Martinez, or a Sandy Alomar.  Prefer Varitek with no experience over Farrell, too.  But I think they should let Bobby V work to the end of his contract and give him a chance to have all his own coaches.  I would prefer to see that. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

[QUOTE]fred, good to see your name again.  I'm not sure a young guy to manage a suddenly young team is the best thing.  But I like the idea of a Dave Martinez, or a Sandy Alomar.  Prefer Varitek with no experience over Farrell, too.  But I think they should let Bobby V work to the end of his contract and give him a chance to have all his own coaches.  I would prefer to see that. 
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

BV did no worse than Tito last (Sep) and should be given a chance. He is abrasive and FO knew that coming in. This team is not in a disaster mode considering all the money they now have put aside. A rookie manager will not hack it it in Boston.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tek has no managerial experience and therefore ain't ready.  Needs to pay some dues. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheIndieSound. Show TheIndieSound's posts

Robin Ventura never managed either...

I'd say Robin is doing a good job in his first season.

Give Varitek a shot, he'll connect with the young guys and won't clash with the vets.

Sew a "C" on Pedroia's uni while you're at it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Schilling on the Herd this AM : In fact, Toronto plays a pretty poor brand of baseball despite all their offensive talents.  Sloppy baserunning, poor defense, missing cutoffs.  I was totally unimpressed with their play the last couple series against the Sox, and their absolute decline is no surprise to me.  But, unfortunately that makes it ever more likely the Jays will jettison Farrell if given some compensation.  I personally do not see him succeeding any better than Bobby V.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

They also don't run out infield groundouts as best as they can. That point has been made clear on both the Toronto broadcasts as well as Boston and Chicago.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Nothing against Farrell, but it seems that he was a much better pitching coach than he has been a manager.

I see him sliding into some front office position when Toronto dumps him or maybe going back to becoming a pitching coach again.

Bringing him back to be the pitching coach makes much more sense than trading for him to become the manager at this point.

With Farrell failing to do better when moving up in responsibility should open some eyes as to whether Varitek should be considered as a manager so quickly after retiring as a player. 

Although the White Sox guy (Ventura) is a of very young and inexperienced manager, most guys have put in many years before earning such a position.  There has to be a reason why not too many players have jumped off the field and landed in the manager's chair.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

[QUOTE]Robin Ventura never managed either... I'd say Robin is doing a good job in his first season. Give Varitek a shot, he'll connect with the young guys and won't clash with the vets. Sew a "C" on Pedroia's uni while you're at it.
    Posted by TheIndieSound[/QUOTE]

Ventura was 7-8 years removed from being a player when he was named to the White Sox post and he hadn't played with the White Sox since when, the late 90s?  I think he left them as a player around the time Vartiek came to the Sox.

Way too soon for Varitek to take on that job, especially in Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

In response to "Re: Schilling on the Herd this AM": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Schilling on the Herd this AM : Ventura was 7-8 years removed from being a player when he was named to the White Sox post and he hadn't played with the White Sox since when, the late 90s?  I think he left them as a player around the time Vartiek came to the Sox. Way too soon for Varitek to take on that job, especially in Boston. Posted by illinoisredsox[/QUOTE] Absolutely. It. Is incredibly hard to go from being one of the guys, even as captain, to being the manager. Tek would be better served either working his way up from the minors n the Boston organization, or managing in some other organization.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I would love to see them hire him but have him start at A-ball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

is schilling serious? what a tool and an idiot...besides the fact that he has NO managerial experience (yea let him practice on the job in Boston of all places!) Varitek was the CAPTAIN that did nothing while those punks in the clubhouse ruined the season with their antics...what is the message you want to send with Tek's hiring: its partytime again?  with insight like that you can see why he invested 50 million dollars into a video game business that was obsolete by the time the corporation formed...talk about a guy not being able to see forward

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Schilling on the Herd this AM : Like Notin ( I think ) I don't understand the great enthusiasm for Farrell. Someone please explain what he has done as a manager to justify all this enthusiasm.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

The media has told us that he would be great, so we the soft headed simple minded fan listen. lol... 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

[QUOTE]I like Tek as the pitching coach.  he knew hitters and pitching better than anyone.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]
    He studied and knew hitters, and called a great game.  I don't know if he knows the mechanics a pitcher needs to have better than anyone, though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

So the "Captain" who could not step up and change things inside the clubhouse in 2011 would make a great manager? Really?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]So the "Captain" who could not step up and change things inside the clubhouse in 2011 would make a great manager? Really?
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

seriously, did Schilling really say this? I think I am going to write a letter to ESPN demanding they fire him as an analyst...why would they pay him for this kind of "expert" commentary????