Scutaro's 2012 option

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Scutaro's 2012 option

Morning all.............
    Red Sox expected to pick up Marco Scutaro’s option for 2012

New Red Sox GM Ben Cherington has plenty of important decisions awaiting him this offseason, but the status of Marco Scutaro looks like an easy call.

Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald was told by “a source familiar with the Red Sox thinking” that the club is leaning toward picking up Scutaro’s $6 million option for 2012.

Scutaro, who turns 36 on Sunday, batted .299/.358/.423 with seven home runs, 54 RBI and a .781 OPS over 445 plate appearances this season. While the Red Sox collapsed down the stretch, Scutaro certainly did his part to keep them afloat, batting .387 with two homers, 21 RBI and a 1.019 OPS in September. Jed Lowrie was bothered by a lingering shoulder injury this season while Jose Iglesias struggled in the minors, so bringing Scutaro back would allow the Red Sox to focus on upgrading in other areas.

The Red Sox would owe $1.5 million in the form of a buyout if they decline the option, but Scutaro also has a $3 million player option to return in 2012.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/25/red-sox-expected-to-pick-up-marco-scutaros-option-for-2012/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Scutaro's 2012 option

Pick it up.  No question.  Iglesias isn't even close to ready offensively.  Lowrie is a utility guy.  No other options.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Yep, Scoots is critical for 2012, comes inexpensively and allows focus on far more important issues e.g. Starting Pitching

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I hope Big Ben brings in (trade or FA signing) a starting pitcher that we can count on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Hey Jete
    I'm doing OK.  Hard to get too excited about the WS this year although it would be nice to see Texas win it's first WS.

If the Sox arn't in it next year I would like Theo to help the Cubs win a WS, especially if it's against the Yanks.Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Scutaro's 2012 option:
    [QUOTE]Hey Jete I'm doing OK.  Hard to get too excited about the WS this year although it would be nice to see Texas win it's first WS. If the Sox arn't in it next year I would like Theo to help the Cubs win a WS, especially if it's against the Yanks.
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]with catching up on all the house stuff i put off this summer, i've basically been watching every other game....i too wouldn't mind seeing Texas win...i like Nolan Ryan...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Pick up Scutaro's option and maybe add a team option for another year.     Above all, don't sign Jose Reyes.     He has all the makings of another Sox shortstop disaster.      Better off in spending Reyes kind of money on pitching in the free agent class of 2013 which will be better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Pick up Scutaro's option and maybe add a team option for another year.     Above all, don't sign Jose Reyes.     He has all the makings of another Sox shortstop disaster.      Better off in spending Reyes kind of money on pitching in the free agent class of 2013 which will be better.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that Reyes is even on the radar...my guess is he'll find it tough to get too many teams to bite on a player with chronic hamstring issues...When healthy he's clearly a plus player, but he makes JD drew look like Lou Gehrig

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Pick up the option and trade Lowrie for a prospect.  Aviles can be the backup utility guy.  Inglesias needs another year at AAA to show he can hit more than his weight.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where are all the posters who blasted Theo for signing Scutty 2 years ago? Most, like softy, are now saying "bring him back". Marco has shown more guts than half the team combined.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Seems like a no brainer.  I agree that Lowrie is a utility man until he can stay healthy and demonstrate that he hits with enough power to be in the discussion at 3rd.  Iglesias hit what, .200 last year in AAA?  Scutaro showed up in September, unlike most of his team. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Sure, just what we need.....a 36 y/o SS who is not a SS. Heck, why don't we just go out and get Vizquel?
    The guy has a great September and all of the sudden we can't do without him?
    Believe me, that was an anomoly. If Scutaro is re-signed, we will never see Iglesias as our regular SS. He will never be ready as long as we keep saying he is not ready.
    Remember Jeff Bagwell?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

[QUOTE]Sure, just what we need.....a 36 y/o SS who is not a SS. Heck, why don't we just go out and get Vizquel? The guy has a great September and all of the sudden we can't do without him? Believe me, that was an anomoly. If Scutaro is re-signed, we will never see Iglesias as our regular SS. He will never be ready as long as we keep saying he is not ready. Remember Jeff Bagwell?

Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Where are all the posters who blasted Theo for signing Scutty 2 years ago? Most, like softy, are now saying "bring him back". Marco has shown more guts than half the team combined.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Scuturo and Cameron both were IMHO moves that were at the time seens as transitional bridges to Westmorland and Iglesias...combined they cost 14M per which is not a ton of dough for two proven big leaguers and had either or both Westmorland or Iglesias relized their potential and proved to beready for the big leagues during the 2010 or 2011 seasons. Then they could've spun either of them in a deal or simply deployed them as utility guys. I'd say they got everything they desired from Scutaro (his injury plaqued 2010 season not withstanding) and that Iglesias hasn't progress as quickly as they hoped thus adding more weight to the upsdie of the Scurato signing...Unfortunately both Cameron and Westmorland due to injuries and a well document life threatening injury. Left us with a void that ulitmate was aprlayed in to the signing of Crawford....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Sure, just what we need.....a 36 y/o SS who is not a SS. Heck, why don't we just go out and get Vizquel? The guy has a great September and all of the sudden we can't do without him? Believe me, that was an anomoly. If Scutaro is re-signed, we will never see Iglesias as our regular SS. He will never be ready as long as we keep saying he is not ready. Remember Jeff Bagwell?
     We keep saying he is not ready because ... he is not ready.  Your take that he will somehow become a major league hitter only by hitting in the majors, while interesting, flies in the face of baseball wisdom.  Spending the summer striking out and being lucky to make any kind of contact will destroy his confidence and do absolutely nothing to improve his mechanics.  Bring him up to start next season and you can add him to the long list of Can't Miss Kids who miss because they were rushed.  Comparing him to Jeff Bagwell is silly.  No one is talking about trading him.  In fact, the reason that people are talking about picking up Marco's option is that everyone sees Iglesias as the future, and better to sign a solid vet short-term as a place holder than go out and get someone on the market.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Inglesias is 21 years old playing in AAA...which means that he has another two years to hone his craft before reaching the age where the blinking light for prospects starts to send signals to the team that they're ready or not for the next step and have the postentail to be an everyday player at the ML level...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scutaro's 2012 option : Inglesias is 21 years old playing in AAA...which means that he has another two years to hone his craft before reaching the age where the blinking light for prospects starts to send signals to the team that they're ready or not for the next step and have the postentail to be an everyday player at the ML level...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I agree, Iglesias has all the time in the world.  I would take Scuter back in a heartbeat unless thats why we got Aviles in the first place knowing Scuter may not be brough back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scutaro's 2012 option : I agree, Iglesias has all the time in the world.  I would take Scuter back in a heartbeat unless thats why we got Aviles in the first place knowing Scuter may not be brough back.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I don't see Aviles as an option our everyday SS...short term as in a month or two I could see it but long term he'd have us pining for Renteria...Frankly Aviles is a servicable defensive player with a decent bat and pretty good athleticism (pinch runner)...he might have a bit more range than Scutaro but he's never been a player that makes the routine play, routinely, or he'd still be with the Royals...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Even if Scutaro ended up being a utility player, given the RS to do list and the fact that Iggy wasn't able to show much at all offensively at the AAA level when fat tracked to that level, this probably isn't a hard decision for the RS.

Let's look at the options. They are on the hook for $1.5M no matter what. Can Scutaro get a one year deal for more than $1.5M in the open market, IMO yes he will based on the FA market. So if the RS decline their option Scuatro isn't going to exercise his player option.

Rather than rush a SS who isn't ready to hit MLB pitching yet, why not buy time with Scutaro for an additional $4.5M. It buys the RS time, he is not a guy with a ton of range but he gives the team he plays for solid PAs and can play multiple positions.

This actually isn't a hard decision IMO. The valuations on Ortiz and Papelbon are much biggest challenges and how to juggle the roster in the case one or both leaves is.

The 7-20 finish has made a lot of observers lose sight IMO of what the RS issues are short term. The story line IMHo would have been wildly different even if the only difference was that the RS got 30 starts out of Buchholz instead of 14.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Despite battling injuries, Scuataro has been worth almost twice his salaray since he was a acquired.   The option is a no-brainer, and signing Scutaro to begin with should be in the plus column for anybody evaluating Theo's FA signings over the course of his Sox career.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Even if Scutaro ended up being a utility player, given the RS to do list and the fact that Iggy wasn't able to show much at all offensively at the AAA level when fat tracked to that level, this probably isn't a hard decision for the RS. Let's look at the options. They are on the hook for $1.5M no matter what. Can Scutaro get a one year deal for more than $1.5M in the open market, IMO yes he will based on the FA market. So if the RS decline their option Scuatro isn't going to exercise his player option. Rather than rush a SS who isn't ready to hit MLB pitching yet, why not buy time with Scutaro for an additional $4.5M. It buys the RS time, he is not a guy with a ton of range but he gives the team he plays for solid PAs and can play multiple positions. This actually isn't a hard decision IMO. The valuations on Ortiz and Papelbon are much biggest challenges and how to juggle the roster in the case one or both leaves is. The 7-20 finish has made a lot of observers lose sight IMO of what the RS issues are short term. The story line IMHo would have been wildly different even if the only difference was that the RS got 30 starts out of Buchholz instead of 14.    
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Well stated. I would only add that if they do pick up his option that they look to add or sign a player that profiles as a defensive upgrade as the utility infielder...today that player does not wear a Sox jersey...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scutaro's 2012 option : I don't see Aviles as an option our everyday SS...short term as in a month or two I could see it but long term he'd have us pining for Renteria...Frankly Aviles is a servicable defensive player with a decent bat and pretty good athleticism (pinch runner)...he might have a bit more range than Scutaro but he's never been a player that makes the routine play, routinely, or he'd still be with the Royals...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Agreed bean, it was Mikes defense that left him out of the KC lineup.  He is a proven 300 hitter when playing 150 or more games but his defense is less effective.  I also like the energy level Mike brings to the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I want Scutaro back, but if the team option is 6 million and the player option is 3 million, don't know why the Sox would just pick up the option. A negotiation to meet in the middle seems in order. I dont see any other team rushing out to give Scuts 6mm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I want Scutaro back, but if the team option is 6 million and the player option is 3 million, don't know why the Sox would just pick up the option. A negotiation to meet in the middle seems in order. I dont see any other team rushing out to give Scuts 6mm.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

I disagree, the only SS's who have been better than him and are FA's are Rollins and Reyes, both are looking for deals in excess of 5 years.  I could easily see Scutty getting 2 years, $8M - $10M total on the open market, which would pocket him $9.5M - $11.5M including his Boston buyout.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

You could be right JB, but I still think you try talking....if Scuts was willing to take 2 years 8/9mm, then I would do that rather than pay 6mm for 1 year...since he would be a more than adequate backup the following year at 2/3mm.