Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue

Without the knowledge of the actual terms of the agreement between the two parties involved no person on this site can be considered right in their interpetation of the compensation due. So now we can move onto known areas of conversation,rather than speculative ones. If the Queen had balls she would be the King.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue:
    [QUOTE]maybe myself and some others are wrong from nicky C 10. The Cubs and Red Sox will soon meet with a representative of the Commissioner’s Office or the commissioner himself to discuss the Epstein compensation issue. The best school of thought on this comes from an AL GM who is not associated with either team: “I think the commissioner will give the Red Sox a significant player. I don’t think MLB wants executives leaving their teams before their contracts are up and therefore he will try to deter teams from doing that again.’’
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]
    For years teams have detered other teams from recruiting their executives by denying the other team permission to talk with the executive.

It's not rocket science.

The Red Sox could have denied the Cubs permission to talk with Theo Epstein. When the Sox granted that permission, it would have been awkward -- but not impossible -- to refuse to release Epstein from his Boston contract after the talks ensued. I suspect the Boston ownership knew where the talks would lead when the owners granted the permission. Compensation may have been a mere afterthought for an ownership seeking new leadership.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Selig says he will settle Epstein compensation issue : Please read my first post to this thread. The day Theo Epstein resigned, the Red Sox and Cubs issued a joint release that reads in part: "The clubs also have reached an agreement regarding a process by which appropriate compensation will be determined for the Red Sox and that issue will be resolved in the near term." http://articles.boston.com/2011-12-21/sports/30543331_1_red-sox-gm-meetings-theo-epstein The Cubs apparently agreed to "appropriate" compensation while unidentified Red Sox sources have been later quoted as believing the compensation would be "siginificant." When the Cubs and Red Sox agreed to "appropriate" compensation, each club was aware of the nearly identical situation of Andy MacPhail's departure from the Twins to the Cubs in 1994. MacPhail had marshaled the Twins to two World Series titles (the franchise's first since 1924) before MacPhail left the Minnesota general manager post in 1994 to become president and CEO of the Chicago Cubs at age 42. That's an awfully close comp. The compensation for MacPhail was 21-year-old High A pitching prospect Hector Trinidad, who never advanced beyond the Triple A level: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=trinid001hec The Red Sox would be fortunate to get better compensation for Theo Epstein.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]
      The Red Sox believe "appropriate compensation" should be significant.  Apparently, the Cubs believe "appropriate compensation" should be insignificant.  I wonder what happened to the "process."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

As I was told many years ago significant consideration sounds good, but has no real meaning when used in a contract. I was chastised harshly for even using this term in a rough draft. “Significant” can mean many things to many people.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

[QUOTE]Whatever, if any real compensation comes back to us for Theo, it will not be significant. I doubt whichever player comes our way never makes the 40 man roster. This situation was dead in terms of adding value to our team long ago. Let's just move on.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

So you think the player that comes to Boston from the Cubs will make the 40 man roster? That's how I read the bolded sentence.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Here's the Cubs 40 man---who would you expect to receive? Who would you like? Who would be considered "SIGNIFICANT?"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Here's the Cubs 40 man---who would you expect to receive? Who would you like? Who would be considered "SIGNIFICANT?" http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=chc Cubs top 10 Prospects: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2012/2612580.html
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I don't even have to view the roster...if the Sox had their choice I would bet they'd snag Castro...since it would help fill a team need at SS right now.

...by himself he might be too much for the Cubbies to lose...but what if the Sox gave the Cubs their top SS prospect Iglesias in the package?

It probably won't happen, but it would be what I was lobbying for if I am discussing what I want for compensation.