Send Iggy down for Drew? Really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Send Iggy down for Drew? Really?

Never mind that the sample size is incredibly small, do we really want to send him down while he's leading the AL in batting average?

I'd love to watch him play if he just hit .225 ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Send Iggy down for Drew? Really?

Iggy is making it look like Drew's days in Boston are going to be brief.  But he's getting paid 9.5 million and he's going to be getting some playing time.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I actually had moderately high hopes for Drew; I think people just assume that he's going to be a bum, but if he's healthy and can return to pre-2011 form he'd definitely be an asset and could potentially snag us something at the trade deadline. If not, I always assumed Iglesias could step in...but it looks like Iggy is going to force the issue well before that point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Ben now has many "spare parts" for that "BLOCKBUSTER" that is coming soooon !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

$10 million is a sunk cost, you have to pay it no matter what.  Play the guy who gives you a better shot at winning.  Iggy doesn't have to hit as good as Drew to be the better player and so far he is hitting.  If he keeps up half his pace then he has a spot on this team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drew should be tradeable at some point.  He might even be tradeable right now if the Sox were willing to eat a few mill.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Having Drew only helpas the team depth.  And I am not even so sure he needs to plsy all that well to ne movable.  He was dealt last year coming right off an injury with minimal success. Everyone in the league knows what he is capable of, slow start or not.

And givethat he is on a one year deal and an obvious mercenary solution, doubtful any return will be earth shattering.

There is very likely to be interest.  The Dodgers  have the highest payroll inMLB, yet have Justin Sellers and Luis Cruz in their starting infield.  And does anyone think Zack Cozart is going to last in Cincinnati without showing marked improvement?

And of course, there will be injuries to other shortstops for pennant hopeful teams...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Drew: "Mr. Farrell, the doctors told me that I should be ready for our home-opener."

Farrell: "What's the rush Stephen?  Geez, take your time, remember, slow and steady wins the race."

Drew: ".................um,........okay..............???"

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

playing iggy and trading drew & eating 1/2 of his pay is a good deal...they should do it asap

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Here's a novel concept.

If when Drew is ready, he is activated and put in the lineup -- CHEER FOR HIM; ROOT FOR HIM to do well.

Shouldn't it be about the team doing well?

Isn't that what we criticized Beckett and others for -- being selfish?

So how many fans are going to be selfish and not root for Drew to play well, which could hurt the team, simply because they want Iggy at SS?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You can never be too careful when dealing with concussions. Drew should be given extended time to recover. Don't want to bring him back too soon and risk another concussion.  He is a good guy. I am very concerned about his health.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

You can never be too careful when dealing with concussions. Drew should be given extended time to recover. Don't want to bring him back too soon and risk another concussion.  He is a good guy. I am very concerned about his health.

i think they are bringing him on slow. he was cleared to play by MLB last week and it looks like he won't get into an MBL game until next week.. if this were the NFL we would've already been in the game

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

playing iggy and trading drew & eating 1/2 of his pay is a good deal...they should do it asap

See I don't think they eat half. I think they eat $2.5 - $3.5m. A's were paying him dam near $8m.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Iggy had the double down the line and a bunch of infield hits, and looks to have improved on offense.  But when he came up in all those bases loaded situations, one would have preferred to have Drew at the plate, a guy with years of proven offense.  If Iggy continues to get on at the present clip, he'll stay in the line-up.  Something tells me that won't happen though, Drew will get a chance and produce, and Iggy will end up in triple A till next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

Who is Stephen Drew? A somewhat has been who really wasn't all that much anyway. Keep Iggy, the pitcher's best friend...call the Dodgers, they need a shortstop.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

See I don't think they eat half. I think they eat $2.5 - $3.5m. A's were paying him dam near $8m.

Because Drew was signed as a Free Agent he cannot be traded until Mid June, so at that point the  would only need to get back a portion on his remaining prorated Salary, if any, They would have already paid a good portion of his Salary.  I like Iggy, have been impressed by him and have always been one pushing for him to be given a shot, but I would like to see Steven Drew play for the Sox in a Game before we decide he must be traded...most posters are juding him because of his last name 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Drew is a career .265 hitter. He has a total of 77 home runs in 7 years in MLB. Where are we getting the idea that he is such a better hitter than Iglesias ?   As far as defense ; it is not even close. Iglesias is younger , faster , healthier and has far more of an upside.  I don't know why this is even being debated.  I don't see Drew as a backup because we already have Ciriaco for that at a lower cost. It should be a priority to get Drew healthy , then find a trading partner.  He must be a better shortstop option for some team.  Just have to accept that we will have to eat salary.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

Because Drew was signed as a Free Agent he cannot be traded until Mid June, so at that point the  would only need to get back a portion on his remaining prorated Salary, if any, They would have already paid a good portion of his Salary.  I like Iggy, have been impressed by him and have always been one pushing for him to be given a shot, but I would like to see Steven Drew play for the Sox in a Game before we decide he must be traded...most posters are juding him because of his last name 

I wasn't aware that they couldn't, huh. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Drew should be tradeable at some point.  He might even be tradeable right now if the Sox were willing to eat a few mill.

Drew isn't getting traded until at least July, if then. Iggy has not yet proven he can consistently hit even at the AAA level. What is GOING to happen is that Iggy is going to play at Pawtucket for many months and Drew will be the team's SS. If, by July, Iglesias is still hitting the baseball at the AAA level only then will Drew become a trade chip.