Shane, Napoli and Dempster: Has management convinced you to pay high ticket prices for 2013?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Shane, Napoli and Dempster: Has management convinced you to pay high ticket prices for 2013?

It is a good start short term deals. Higher AAV lower years is always better for a team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Shane, Napoli and Dempster: Has management convinced you to pay high ticket prices for 2013?

I assume they are pandering what every other ML ownership group does.  They field a baseball team, people pay to watch it, they make money and also get to feel important.

Which ownership groups are heros to you?  Which one's are in it so Johnny from Burger King gets to watch the best team in baseball, year after year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Assuming they sign Dempster or similar profile, are you buying what management is trying to pander?

[/QUOTE]I heard that the Chinese are thinking of buying the Sox from John Henry.......  Instead of 3 hotdogs, beer & cotton Candy, you will beable to sit in the bleachers & order a #13  !!!!!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wasn't bill the one saying we should "trust in Ben", and the "transormation" was underway?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Dempster=more dumpster diving. We don't need another #4 SP. We have a boatload of them. His ERA was over 5 after he came to Texas last year; he cannot pitch in the AL. We need an ace. If we sign him, it should be for "depth", not because he is any good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

I,ll tell ya what if there  gonna get pitching like this then they might as well pick up some mashers like hamilton and just  do it the mashing homerun way

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

You forgot Gomes too. Paying 10 million for two years was one of the dumbest moves of the off seaso, but Ben topped that one with Shane Victorino at 39 million for 11 homeruns and a 255 batting average. Gee, Ben why dont you go and get Mike Cameron back, he was another great Natioanl League pickup, and they did not put that clown through a medical back then.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dempster=more dumpster diving. We don't need another #4 SP. We have a boatload of them. His ERA was over 5 after he came to Texas last year; he cannot pitch in the AL. We need an ace. If we sign him, it should be for "depth", not because he is any good.

[/QUOTE]

An ace, imo, is someone in the top half of the #1's.  I n other words, there are 15 of them.

Explain how you think you'll get Detroit to part with Verlander, Seattle with Felix, LAA with Weaver, SF with Cain, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Softlaw is a Yankee fan who lives in North Carolina and never watches games on TV and has never been to Fenway so why does he care? He is just toying with you.  Wake up.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that anyone in here that has ever complained about ticket prices, or about Fenway, has ever been to Fenway.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Softy: "I've done Food Bank work with Grady Little and Trot Nixon, and I've played golf with Jim Rice, recently"

Please tell me you also went to Dave and Buster's with Tim Wakefield. That would make my life complete. 

Pikey: "He is just toying with you.  Wake up."

Doesn't matter. We're here to talk baseball not get to the bottom of people's real identities. Well, I mean, except for you. 

Unlike you softy starts threads on baseball topics and has informed views worthy of debate. Of course he does sometmes fall into insufferable scapegoating and his critique of Cherry is odd given that Cherry is just a puppet for management entities Softy is afraid to criticize (perhaps because they linked him up with a day with Jim Rice, who knows). But that said he's a baseball guy talking baseball and as long as he keeps the name calling of Red Sox players and his ridiculous myopic political jabs out of it, I'm good. 

Softy to answer your question I'm not super happy with the offseason so far but I'm also unwilling to grade it until it is over. I'm sure we'll never agree on a grade because I want to see another strong pitcher added and you have decided pitching isn't important, but still, the grade can wait for a while. Overall the players seems a bit mediocre on paper but remember, "feeding the monster" to put butts in seats and overpaying A-Gon and especially Crawford was how they got into this mess in the first place. You have to be careful about signing big stars who can't deliver. We have yet to see what they will do in that case as the right player is available to test their wallets. But no, I'm not confident in this ownership group, I think they are distracted by Liverpool and potentially thinking of selling the franchise.

That said a lot of folks in this forum have been wrong about the overpayment aspects of this. Part of the premium the Sox paid was to get guys on 3 year contracts instead of longer ones and I'm good with that aspect. They still overpaid but not criminally as they have done in the past. And the Shane signing looks a lot better if he goes to Center field and Ellsbury is moved for a good starting pitcher. And yes, I like that they approached the Phillies about Ells for Lee. I hope they keep pushing on those kinds of trades. 

I'll give them a grade when the offseason is over. Right now I'll give them a C- with a chance to either move up to a high B or a low D depending on whether the pitching is strengthened, etc. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.