Shane Victorino

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Shane Victorino

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seems like a lot of money for a guy coming off a a .255/.320OBP season and his best seasons were 3-5 years ago.

I'd like him at about 1/2-2/3 of that money.  He is a switch hitter but his spilts are huge.  He hit .230 from the Left side last year.

[/QUOTE]

Cowards, I agree it is a lot of money.  But, I am not so sure about this assertion that some folks are making that he is in obvious decline.  2012 was a bad year for Shane.  But, he is one year removed from what was arguably his best offensive season.  Shane was never a great offensive player.  But he does a lot of things well.  He can run.  He gets on base.  He has surprising power.  

I was a big proponent of signing Cody Ross last year.  And he did exactly what he was supposed to do.  However, for the money (and Cody will get similar money), I think Victorino is the better value.  Outside of being clutch (which Shane has also shown in his career), Ross hit home runs.  And thats it.  He is a semi-liability in the field.  Strikes out way too much.  When you factor everything in, Victorino is a better choice than Ross (not that you were making that comparison).

[/QUOTE]

I have to say that the idea of Ross in RF every day scared me a little. At least Victorino can cover some ground and has a decent arm. The Sox need to get back to having outfielders who can actually throw. I'm tired of watching spaghetti armed outfielders trying to get the ball back to the infield.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

dont really understand this signing. victorino is a leadoff/number2 hitter. his skillset is that of a cf. not a rf. we needed an impact bat, not another slap hitter. im sorry but replace agonz, crawford with napoli and victorino is not going to make this team better. not to mention having gomes start in left. the sox fo is a joke. victorino made 9.5 mill last year and had a down year, yet they give him 13 mill per? 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not as down on it as you are but I do agree it is a lot of money for the Flyin Hawaiian.

He can hit 1 or 2 when needed but during his best years in Philly he often hit down in the line-up and should be fine doing that here. 

[/QUOTE]

13mil for an aging number 8 hitter...? Ok...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Seems like a lot of money for a guy coming off a a .255/.320OBP season and his best seasons were 3-5 years ago.

I'd like him at about 1/2-2/3 of that money.  He is a switch hitter but his spilts are huge.  He hit .230 from the Left side last year.

[/QUOTE]

Cowards, I agree it is a lot of money.  But, I am not so sure about this assertion that some folks are making that he is in obvious decline.  2012 was a bad year for Shane.  But, he is one year removed from what was arguably his best offensive season.  Shane was never a great offensive player.  But he does a lot of things well.  He can run.  He gets on base.  He has surprising power.  

I was a big proponent of signing Cody Ross last year.  And he did exactly what he was supposed to do.  However, for the money (and Cody will get similar money), I think Victorino is the better value.  Outside of being clutch (which Shane has also shown in his career), Ross hit home runs.  And thats it.  He is a semi-liability in the field.  Strikes out way too much.  When you factor everything in, Victorino is a better choice than Ross (not that you were making that comparison).

[/QUOTE]

I have to say that the idea of Ross in RF every day scared me a little. At least Victorino can cover some ground and has a decent arm. The Sox need to get back to having outfielders who can actually throw. I'm tired of watching spaghetti armed outfielders trying to get the ball back to the infield.

[/QUOTE]

Totally.  And, no need to sell Shane short.  I would put his arm more in the 'cannon' range than 'decent'.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

hate to say it, but I think this means Ells is a gonna. Have to admit I like te new team. Good mix of young and old players.  Can see this team being competitive and enjoyable to watch.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

dont really understand this signing. victorino is a leadoff/number2 hitter. his skillset is that of a cf. not a rf. we needed an impact bat, not another slap hitter. im sorry but replace agonz, crawford with napoli and victorino is not going to make this team better. not to mention having gomes start in left. the sox fo is a joke. victorino made 9.5 mill last year and had a down year, yet they give him 13 mill per? 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not as down on it as you are but I do agree it is a lot of money for the Flyin Hawaiian.

He can hit 1 or 2 when needed but during his best years in Philly he often hit down in the line-up and should be fine doing that here. 

[/QUOTE]

13mil for an aging number 8 hitter...? Ok...

[/QUOTE]

Well we're all ageing.....He'll be 32-35 during this contract, that isn't over the hill.

As I've already said, I think the money is too much.  I'd guess he'll be more like a 6-7 hitter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Victorino is a HUGE upgrade defensively.  In the field Ross did not inspire confidence. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A FanGraphs analysis:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/shane-victorino-boston-right-fielder/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Some of you guys sound like you are on Ben's payroll , the way you try to spin things.  Basically , we have replaced Reddick with Ross and now with  Victorino. We replaced AGon with Napoli. We replaced Papelbon with Bailey. We replaced Crawford with Gomes. We replaced Beckett with ?????    We lost 93 games last year , and look worse right now.  How can you not see that ?   It seems that your only answer is to complain about the complainers. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jon Heyman reports the Red Sox are one of three teams in on Victorino...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/momentum-building-toward-deal-for-victorino.html

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

This one surprises me other than depth.   Victorino has had some good years but not recently.  He also has a very misleading career .338 OBP "much lower" if you examine his stats.  Shane has also been in the NL his entire career.  The upside is the fact he is a tough player, decent defender and has PS experience.

Too much money and length of contract, this may come back to bite us.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

Victorino has had some good years but not recently. 

[/QUOTE]

People keep saying this. Its crap. Here is his line from all the way back in 2011......

Thats 1 season ago. Who wouldn't take that with excellent defense and base running in RF.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

People keep saying this. Its crap. Here is his line from all the way back in 2011......

Thats 1 season ago. Who wouldn't take that with excellent defense and base running in RF.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you BMav.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think Victorino is fine....just way too much money.....woud rather have seen them go all out for Hamilton. Ben C is saying signing Ross still a possibility.....I smell an Elssbury deal in the very near future....something is already on the back burner.....I would see an Ells, Salty or Lava, and maybe a Bard going for a Frontline starter.....though who that would be ...have no clue.....but signing Victorino to play RF makes no sense, because he doesnt have a RF bat....gotta tink they wnt him to play center.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Victorino is fine....just way too much money.....woud rather have seen them go all out for Hamilton. Ben C is saying signing Ross still a possibility.....I smell an Elssbury deal in the very near future....something is already on the back burner.....I would see an Ells, Salty or Lava, and maybe a Bard going for a Frontline starter.....though who that would be ...have no clue.....but signing Victorino to play RF makes no sense, because he doesnt have a RF bat....gotta tink they wnt him to play center.

[/QUOTE]

Yes.  And that frontline starter is going to be Cliff Lee.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

anyone else get the feeling that ellsbury could be on his way out? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

anyone else get the feeling that ellsbury could be on his way out? 

[/QUOTE]

... and Cliff Lee on his way in?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Well at least Victorino can field (3GG) and run the bases (29 steals per year).  Not a great hitter but the best all around player the Sox have signed this off season.  Gomes and Napoli can't field or run.  I think its a big upgrade in right over Ross.  We now have good speed to cover fenway outfield with Ells and Victorino. I say BC does have a plan I just hope it includes a good starting pitcher to finish off the off season.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you BMav.  

[/QUOTE]

Ok, my bad but compare that one big year to those before and after.  Shane had one other season with an 800 OPS when getting enough AB.  Shane is here now so we have to root for him as red sox fans but it will be interesting to see how he handles the AL. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you BMav.  

[/QUOTE]

Ok, my bad but compare that one big year to those before and after.  Shane had one other season with an 800 OPS when getting enough AB.  Shane is here now so we have to root for him as red sox fans but it will be interesting to see how he handles the AL. 

We have two corner OF's in Gomes and Victorino for next season that may be as good as our overall production last season.

I'm not real excited yet!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you BMav.  

[/QUOTE]

We have two corner OF's in Gomes and Victorino for next season that may be as good as our overall production last season.

[/QUOTE]

Me neither.  But I am not digsusted either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Too much cash but he is a good ballplayer.

The lineup next year does not look bad at all at this point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you BMav.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me neither.  But I am not digsusted either.

[/QUOTE]

If we land a good 1B, or better OF'r than Gomes I may feel differently spaceman but outside of Napoli and/or Ross hopefully catching over Salty we have yet to improve much.  13mil for a player like Victorino is way too much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes.  And that frontline starter is going to be Cliff Lee.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm hoping.  Remember, Ells spelled sideways is Lee.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the idea-of a "switch" at the top of the order. Ells would not take $13-let him go with Lester for a starting pitcher. 

Sign Ichiro to play RF--give both JBJ and Brentz a yr. at AAA.

Go after Lohse and Marcum. Trade Lava and a prospect for Gavin Floyd.

We are ready to compete.

[/QUOTE]

Now tarde ellsbury for Lee sign Hamilton and lets go 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I like the signing...another high motor guy, who comes to play, that's a good all around ball player...13M per is not a ton of money and 3 years is not an eternity.

Look's like a decent line-up....add Ross to the mix to be the everyday leftfielder and we're right back in the mix in terms of our ability score....

Rumor has it that the Sox are looking at making a deal to aquire Llyod from the White Sox in exchange for Salty? If they make those two moves we're a lock to win 90 games and if Lester returns to form and we get a full season out of Buccholz. I think we'd be right back in the hunt for all the marbles...

CF Ellsbury

RF Victorino

2B Pedrioa

DH Ortiz

1B Napoli

3B Middlebrooks

C Ross/Salty

SS Iglesias

LF Kalish/Gomes