Shane Victorino's Grand Slam Ball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Shane Victorino's Grand Slam Ball

There was a little discussion about this earlier on Twitter so I thought I'd bring the subject up to the BDC board.

Apparently, the fan who wound up with Victorino's grand slam ball isn't giving it back anytime soon.

He may be willing to exchange it for some World Series tickets..but he hasn't decided yet.

So my question is what would you do as a Red Sox fan?

I don't even have to think for one second what I would do. I would give Victorino the ball..no strings and no questions. If he offered me something in return, I probably would not take it. I could not imagine doing anything else as a Red Sox fan...and as a firm believer in Karma.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Shane Victorino's Grand Slam Ball

i think a trade for a couple tix to game 1, signed jersey, and a bat is completely acceptable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'd give it to Victorino in exchange for a ball autographed by him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd sell it on ebay.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd give it to Victorino in exchange for a ball autographed by him.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Does Vic even want the ball?  Anyway, hate to be mercenary but, like Moon, I'd sell the thing on ebay to some rabid moneyed Sox fan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

It's like hitting the lottery,it would go right onto eBay or to a good sports auction house.It's a "historic" baseball now and would bring in a nice piece of change.Of course I'd let Victorino know where it was so if he wanted it,he would be able to bid on it.Same with the Sox management.

I wouldn't feel guilty at all for selling it.The Red Sox didn't feel bad about jacking the prices up for tickets to postseason games to a ridiculous amount.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There was a little discussion about this earlier on Twitter so I thought I'd bring the subject up to the BDC board.

Apparently, the fan who wound up with Victorino's grand slam ball isn't giving it back anytime soon.

He may be willing to exchange it for some World Series tickets..but he hasn't decided yet.

So my question is what would you do as a Red Sox fan?

I don't even have to think for one second what I would do. I would give Victorino the ball..no strings and no questions. If he offered me something in return, I probably would not take it. I could not imagine doing anything else as a Red Sox fan...and as a firm believer in Karma.

[/QUOTE]

I would ask Victorino if he'd be interested in signing the ball, then donate it to Boston Strong charity or sell in on e-bay with the proceeds going to the families of the victoms of the Boston Marathon. Maybe even get the Sox involved...

"Boston Strong" live the promise....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Depends on that fans fiscal situation.  It is a free country, and its not like Vic or the Sox are struggling for money.

I the fan is in good fiscal condition, and doesn't need any help, then he can contribute the ball to Vic with no string attached.

It is all that fan's call, it is his ball after all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

iirc that thing kicked around the monstah seats for a good bit.  alot of folk had a shot at it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'd give it to Victorino and graciously accept whatever he offered me in return.

If he didn't want it I'd ask him to autograph it - with its significance.   Then I'd keep it for a while, have some pictures taken of me with the ball, then donate it to a charity for auction.   

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Excuse me, but the ball absolutely, positively belongs to that fan and certainly not to the player.  I mean, that's why MLB is more than willing to buy extra baseballs for games, so that fans can have souvenirs.

If the Sox want the ball back for Vic, then they should make a good offer.  WS tickets, for sure. 

Moonslav sounds a little mercenary, but I think ebay is definitely an option. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Ok.  Here are a couple of options.

1.  Give the ball to a multimillionaire, who may or may not want it, in exchange for WS tickets and/or other souvenir trinkets.

2.  Sell it to the highest bidder for an opportunity to pay off a chuck of my mortgage, put away something for retirement, help a few struggling relatives out a little, buy a decent car, and quit an unwanted work assignment.

Hey, if my net worth were in the millions, surely Shane could have the baseball and I'll take the World Series tickets and the good PR showing what a mensch I am.  

Still, if Shane or the Red Sox want the baseball and are within 10% of the market price, they can have my fan loyalty discount.  That's as far as my good karma goes with this. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I'd personally ask for WS tickets to all home games or sell it to get WS tickets, anything after that is gravy. The Sox or MLB or Victirino do not own that ball nor should those rich people get it back for free. This is 'Merica, ride that capatslistic grees to the bank baby!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd personally ask for WS tickets to all home games or sell it to get WS tickets, anything after that is gravy. The Sox or MLB or Victirino do not own that ball nor should those rich people get it back for free. This is 'Merica, ride that capatslistic grees to the bank baby!

[/QUOTE]

Freediro, check your messages

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

this response is win.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Id give it back, but ask for an autographed ball or bat in return. I dont think thats too much to ask, and would only take a few seconds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

If he or the Sox asked for it back I'd give it up, otherwise I'd hold onto it til after the series then sell it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

The long term value will hinge on wether the Sox win the WS. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to crix's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The long term value will hinge on wether the Sox win the WS. 

[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!  This was what I was thinking.  If (God forgive me) the Sox lose the WS the ball takes a nosedive in value.  If they win(hell ya!), there will be bigger moments and much more valuable souveniers to be had.  

Sell fast to sell at it's peak.  A signed jersey and tix to a few games next year is fair.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd give him a shot at 'buying' it, and I wouldn't hold him up.  A game-used bat with his autograph, plus good WS tickets for all 4 games, and some amount of money.  The guy makes $13,000,000 a year.  If he doesn't want it bad enough to ante up, then maybe I hold it in higher regard.

I don't want to be a mercenary, but guys who make $60,000,000 shouldn't expect guys making a fraction of that, to just give it them.  Even if I had money, I would still ask them to donate something to the local school.  If the money means more to them than the ball, and I doubt that is the case with Vic, but if any player refused to reach into their pocket, then they don't deserve it.