Shin-Soo Choo has deal with the Rangers -7 years !!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Shin-Soo Choo has deal with the Rangers -7 years !!

Follow Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

Shin-Soo Choo has deal with rangers. 7 years. details to come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Shin-Soo Choo has deal with the Rangers -7 years !!

The Red Sox first-round pick moves up one notch as the Texas Rangers forfeit their first-round pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jeff PassanVerified account@JeffPassan

The Shin-Soo Choo deal is a straight seven-year, $130M deal with a limited no-trade clause and no opt-outs or options.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

If the rumors about he and Boras turning down 7 years at $140 were true.......way to go Boras!!

I will say though....Texas is putting together a VERY formidable offense..... they need pitching bad though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Rangers have one powerful offense...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Good signing by the rangers. AL west should be fun to watch next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Follow Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

Shin-Soo Choo has deal with rangers. 7 years. details to come.

The Rangers signed the best leadoff hitter in baseball.  Good move even at 7 years Mr. Henry enjoy watching him get OB even more than Jacoby.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ellsbury is the best all around leadoff hitter in MLB. Choo is a close 2nd.

Much more speed, much better splits. lower OBP, but plenty enough for a leadoff guy. He disrupts pitchers much more than Choo does. That, to me anyway, makes him the better LO hitter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

It's looking more and more like JBJ is going to be he CF on opening day.  Choo was the last FA whom I thought might be signable to play the position.  And no, I'm not saying the Sox should have signed him for that contract.

This does leave Boras in a bad light.  He either lied about the $140 offer from the Yankees or he failed to get the most money he could for his client by demanding $153M.  Essentially turning down the $140 from the Y's cost Choo $10M. 

While I'm sure Choo will live quite nicely on $130M, $10M is a pretty fair chunk of change for your agent to have cost you. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

eIn response to southpaw777's comment:

Much more speed, much better splits. lower OBP, but plenty enough for a leadoff guy. He disrupts pitchers much more than Choo does. That, to me anyway, makes him the better LO hitter.

Ells is not better than Choo southpaw period.  Defensively yes, offensively not a chance stats don't lie.  Choo's OBP is 40 points higher, he has above normal speed, power is more durable and can bunt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's looking more and more like JBJ is going to be he CF on opening day.  Choo was the last FA whom I thought might be signable to play the position.  And no, I'm not saying the Sox should have signed him for that contract.

This does leave Boras in a bad light.  He either lied about the $140 offer from the Yankees or he failed to get the most money he could for his client by demanding $153M.  Essentially turning down the $140 from the Y's cost Choo $10M. 

While I'm sure Choo will live quite nicely on $130M, $10M is a pretty fair chunk of change for your agent to have cost you. 

[/QUOTE]

If you know Boras it was all a tactic to get another team to pay up.  There probably was never an offer by the Yankees.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The Red Sox first-round pick moves up one notch as the Texas Rangers forfeit their first-round pick.

Just what we need another draft pick one step ahead of our competition :)  Either way draft picks take 4 to 6 years to mature (if they pan out at all) so who really cares at this point when we need a leadoff batter and better OF offense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ells is not better than Choo period.  Defensively yes, offensively not a chance southpaw stats don't lie.  Choo's OBP is 40 points higher, he has above normal speed and power.  Oh I almost forgot Choo knows how to bunt as well.

[/QUOTE]

we disagree then. Im looking at much more than just OBP, which is the only thing Choo is better at. The way Ells dispruts pitchers is rare and can change the way a pitcher works. Choo simply doesnt do that. Ells knows how to bunt, but its just not part of the Sox' approach is all. Choo has a sub 700OPS vs LHP and Ells has much better splits.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ells is not better than Choo period.  Defensively yes, offensively not a chance southpaw stats don't lie.  Choo's OBP is 40 points higher, he has above normal speed and power.  Oh I almost forgot Choo knows how to bunt as well.

we disagree then. Im looking at much more than just OBP, which is the only thing Choo is better at. The way Ells dispruts pitchers is rare and can change the way a pitcher works. Choo simply doesnt do that. Ells knows how to bunt, but its just not part of the Sox' approach is all. Choo has a sub 700OPS vs LHP and Ells has much better splits.

[/QUOTE]

Choo doesn't have to use his speed, thats all Ells has to rely on.  He gets OB a heck of a lot more, can bunt and pops 20 HRS.  Without speed Ells has very little natural talent.  Ells will have career years playing with the short porch but probably won't be in the lineup enough to make a difference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Choo doesn't have to use his speed, thats all Ells has to rely on.  He gets OB a heck of a lot more, can bunt and pops 20 HRS.  Without speed Ells has very little natural talent.  Ells will have career years playing with the short porch but probably won't be in the lineup enough to make a difference.

[/QUOTE]

Always enjoy your POV buddy, and you make valid points. Personally, Im just partial to Ellsbury's skill set and game for a LO hitter. I think Choo is a better 2 or 3 guy. Both are without a doubt great talents and are top of the order bats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 39m

Now that Choo is done, Stephen Drew up next for Boras. #RedSox waiting to see what transpires.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I agree somewhat with both of you.  However as a leadoff man, I think the importance of getting on base has to be the #1 desire.  I don't think the HR thing is very important because most teams want people on base for their big guns to drive in.  Choo will thrive in Texas because of their lineup and Ells will thrive in NY also because of their lineup.  If I have to pick one over the other, I'll go with Ells for overall offense/defense.  That said neither one is worth the contract they got...but money talks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree somewhat with both of you.  However as a leadoff man, I think the importance of getting on base has to be the #1 desire.  I don't think the HR thing is very important because most teams want people on base for their big guns to drive in.  Choo will thrive in Texas because of their lineup and Ells will thrive in NY also because of their lineup.  If I have to pick one over the other, I'll go with Ells for overall offense/defense.  That said neither one is worth the contract they got...but money talks.

[/QUOTE]

Hitting HRs from the 1 slot is nice, especially for those late game situations where a bottom of the order guy gets on with 2 outs and you need a two-run blast to tie it. Hoping for 2-3 hits from your 1-2-3 hitters is harder than just one crank.

I do think OBP is way more important than speed from the one slot, and Ellsbury is a much better fielder than Choo, but looking at just who I would prefer to lead off, I'll take Choo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

southpaw,

It's almost certain now we are content on penny pinching, unless of course next years trial doesn't work out as planned.  We may add another platoon CF type but other than that I don't see much more so lets just sit back and hope for the best.

For me anyway, I want to see what the kids can do but still dissapointed to see us riding the health of David's bat again, or giving any real thought to the lost depth that won us the championship.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hitting HRs from the 1 slot is nice, especially for those late game situations where a bottom of the order guy gets on with 2 outs and you need a two-run blast to tie it. Hoping for 2-3 hits from your 1-2-3 hitters is harder than just one crank.

I do think OBP is way more important than speed from the one slot, and Ellsbury is a much better fielder than Choo, but looking at just who I would prefer to lead off, I'll take Choo.

[/QUOTE]

I agree moon, neither was worth that kind of money but Choo's OB percentage, good pop, above average speed, durability and ability to lay down (not just fake a bunt) is much more important in the leadoff spot than blinding speed and a little more D.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My real issue with Choo is that vs a LH pitcher, you have .215 hitter (last year) with no HR power whatsoever.  At least with Ells you still have a hitter vs LH pitching.  I wouldn't cry about being stuck with either one though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

One Boras client down and one to go!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope the Rangers are not biting more than they can "Choo".    Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Neither Ellsbury nor Choo are going to be worth what they are going to get per year for the next seven years.  I, for one, am glad that the Red Sox did not get involved with either guy.

Bradley will not have as much stolen bases as Ellsury or as much power as Choo, but he will be a fine centerfielder for many years.  He is better defensively than both of these guys already and will catch up offensively sooner than most seem to think.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope the Rangers are not biting more than they can "Choo".    Laughing

[/QUOTE]

ha ha good one ice