Should Buchholz....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Should Buchholz....

Sit out another game or 2 if the shoulder/trap is bothering him even just a little?

I say yes he should. Forget the stupid comparisons to hockey players we've all heard, thats dumb. We need Buch to be 100% for Aug/Sep and hopefully the PO's. It seems he came back when it wasnt all the way better, but the tightness went away during the games he pitched. It just got worse the other day, along with rolling over backwards on it and making an awkward throw after being hit in the glove hand with a liner. Let Aceves have another go, or Webster/Workman. I want Buch 100% going forward. If that means missing a start or 2, then fine. The other guys will have to step up.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/06/09/clay-buchholz-wont-return-until-completely-better/

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/06/09/clay-buchholz-leaves-game-2-saturday-with-neck-tightness-after-awkward-throw/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Re: Should Buchholz....

No doubt he should skip a turn or two. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I have zero preoblem with him sitting for a bit.  Maybe my ONLY knock on Farrell is that he might be keeping the starters abit too long this time of year.  Yes I know that 'back in the day' pitchers used to pitch complete games every outing and all that...but it was a very different game back then.  I wonder if this could be Buchs body starting to react to this?  Who knows...but I do think he should sit a start or two.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I have zero preoblem with him sitting for a bit.  Maybe my ONLY knock on Farrell is that he might be keeping the starters abit too long this time of year.  Yes I know that 'back in the day' pitchers used to pitch complete games every outing and all that...but it was a very different game back then.  I wonder if this could be Buchs body starting to react to this?  Who knows...but I do think he should sit a start or two.

I think Buch will never be a true ace because hes probably going to be a guy that gives us about 28-30 starts a year instead of 34 and 190-200IP instead of 220-230. This is why Boston usually goes for pitchers that are 6'2-6'6 and 200-240LBS. Lanky LHP too it seems (see Owens and now Ball). Big guys like that can handle the stress starting pitching puts on the body.

Dont get me wrong, Buch Has Ace Stuff and I love the kid, but he doesnt have the body type to withstand a full season without having to deal with one thing or another. I hope he proves me wrong, but at this point I dont think so. Ill take what he gives us though and just be prepared for about 4-6 missed starts during the year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

this is sort of the chicken or the egg. 

do we rest buch now in hopes that we make the PO's and we have a "healthier" buch?

or

Do we get everything we can now out of buch in hopes that we make the PO's?

i guarantee you last years nats wished they had some S-burg innings left come PO's.

although clay isn't on innings count, $$$ dicatates saving the arm.

be interesting to track RS w/L's during his rotation skips and see what that leaves us with end of September.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

This  is a time of the year thing. In June, hell yeah you skip a start  if you're hurting a little. If September, you press on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I think Buch will never be a true ace because hes probably going to be a guy that gives us about 28-30 starts a year instead of 34 and 190-200IP instead of 220-230. This is why Boston usually goes for pitchers that are 6'2-6'6 and 200-240LBS. Lanky LHP too it seems (see Owens and now Ball). Big guys like that can handle the stress starting pitching puts on the body.

Dont get me wrong, Buch Has Ace Stuff and I love the kid, but he doesnt have the body type to withstand a full season without having to deal with one thing or another. I hope he proves me wrong, but at this point I dont think so. Ill take what he gives us though and just be prepared for about 4-6 missed starts during the year.

Buchholz was drafted by the Red Sox in the supplemental first round of the 2005 draft. The Red Sox obtained their supplemental pick, the 42nd overall, as compensation for losing free agent Pedro Martínez to the New York Mets. 

Pedro Martinez when playing was 5’ 11", 195 lbs. Martínez was unusually small for a modern-day power pitcher, and he is believed to have been somewhat smaller than his officially listed height and weight.

Clay Buchholz is 6’ 3" and weighs 190.

Perhaps, he'll put on a few more pounds as his body matures, or maybe they'll lift the ban on 'chicken n' beer' in the clubhouse.  But for now, I'll take him the way he is as long as he keeps putting up W's.  And if he has to miss 4-6 starts as you suggest, I can also live with that as long as he's healthy and strong going into September.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he will miss more than 6 starts. He is injury prone; that much is clear. Whether is his body type, his conditioning, or something else in the end doesn't really matter. This factor, in addition to Lester being what he is (and Dempster and Doubront being what THEY are) are the reasons I think we are, when all is said and done this season, a .500 or so team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm fine with whatever he and Farrell decide--reportedly, they are going to be cautious. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Buch is my favorite pitcher and has been for awhile. Missing a start makes sense, but the way he talks about not pitching until he's a 100% leaves a little to be desired. All in all he should be fine and hhopefully continue his history of being better in the second half. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Sit out another game or 2 if the shoulder/trap is bothering him even just a little?

I say yes he should. Forget the stupid comparisons to hockey players we've all heard, thats dumb. We need Buch to be 100% for Aug/Sep and hopefully the PO's. It seems he came back when it wasnt all the way better, but the tightness went away during the games he pitched. It just got worse the other day, along with rolling over backwards on it and making an awkward throw after being hit in the glove hand with a liner. Let Aceves have another go, or Webster/Workman. I want Buch 100% going forward. If that means missing a start or 2, then fine. The other guys will have to step up.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/06/09/clay-buchholz-wont-return-until-completely-better/

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/06/09/clay-buchholz-leaves-game-2-saturday-with-neck-tightness-after-awkward-throw/

Is this a trick question?? No if Buchholtz is hurting i think he should still pitch.? Did you think someone was going to say that? So i did.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree about his body type.  I don't know if strength training can overcome it. Pedro was a small guy, did he have the same issues when he was buch's age.